MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Special Mouse Fart Load?

Boolit Master

44 Special Mouse Fart Load?

I sold my wife’s Colt Diamondback 38 Spl snubnose for a premium and have traded a couple of rifles for a new Charter Bulldog 44 Spl for her. Now I need to ease her into the “Bulldog mode” with some very light mouse fart loads. I will be loading RCBS-44-250K plain base boolits and need something real easy on recoil. I have Red Dot, 231, Green Dot, Unique, and 5744.

Any thoughts on where to start?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I think in the Bulldog you'll want less bullet weight for easy shooting. A .433" Speer round ball over 3 grs of Red Dot is fun. The standard 246 gr/750 fps is not that fun unless you're shooting a bigger revolver. Just my .02

Boolit Master
    you could go 3 gr red dot and seat with a tiny crimp over the front driving band to reduce capacity. id just make the bullets soft and tumble lubed. wont burn very clean but thats to be expected.

Boolit Master

The Lee 200 RNFP over a starting load of Red Dot is a soft shooter. There is also the 44 Russian route if you want something that ejects easily from the Bulldog.

Boolit Master

I found some loads on handloads.com for the 250 grain ......

LSWC 5.0 gr AA #2 imp 610 fps 1.57" Win LP guest
    Lyman(Keith)429421 a nice accurate load fired from my Taurus 445 -2"brl. std. dev. of 6 fps.

Thomas, you’re probably right on the 250 being too much in the Bulldog. I may have start looking for something more in the 200 grain like Lee.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    In .44 mag, I load a .440 - .445 dia RB Cast of air cooled WW's over 8gr of Universal. A card wad and lube cookie go in the case and the RB seated on the case and pressed in half way + .010 more and given a light crimp. when fired, they size to throat diameter and have a generous band of engagement. They're low recoil, accurate, fairly snappy and fun, but might hit a bit low, being so light.

For a conventional boolit, the Lee 200gr RNFP has given me good performance run at moderate velocities, 800-1000 fps. The faster powders you mention will do very well with these.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 12-18-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Master

I've used a 210gr RNFP over 4.2grs of TiteGroup for some 20yrs of Cowboy Action Shooting. About 725fps with 9500cups.

Or even lighter 200gr FP over 3.5grs TiteGroup in a
    .44 RUSSIAN Case.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    4.3 grains of trail boss under a 200 grain lead bullet. Nice and mellow.

Boolit Master

Good advise, but not quite what I’m looking for. I don’t have trail boss or universal, or titewad, nor do I have the 200 grain mould. I did find a Lee 430-240 SWC 90357 in my stash. I’ll do a little more research with the powders I have and see how low I can safely go. I don’t want to scare my wife away from this big bore. It’s going to be her defense gun and I want her to feel comfortable shooting it.
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 12-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I mention trail boss because in my opinion, based on comparison between it and titegroup, I can feel the titgroup being more snappy. The trail boss is slightly slower and doesnt seem to put the gun back into the hand as bad. Miiight be beneficial to getting your Lady to like the gun/round. And, frankly, Im biased, I really like the powder. And can be used with any weight bullet. I load it under 300 grainlead bullets for slow heavy thumpers. Any way, best of luck to ya!

Boolit Master

MOLD DC 429-214-SWC

This is an excellent bullet for that purpose, less weight for lower recoil and and a good profile for effectiveness. Push it to about 650-700 fps and it hits with authority.

I wont bring up that you sold a premier small frame Colt 38 that could be loaded as light as any recoil sensitive shooter would want, but I would even go lighter than 200 and use a 180 or if a 160 grain bullet can be found. Since you have a short barrel, you can start at a starting load and back off .2 or .3 grains and check for consistency. Bullet weight = recoil in these light guns.

Oops, my cowboy action 44 special/mag. load is 4.5 700x with Lee’s 200 FP bullet. I will go to 4.2 in a 44 special case in the future as I shoot a Colt sheriff model 3” ( like your charter’s 3”) and for rapid cowboy action it has a bit more whip than my 5 1/2” SAA. The recoil is not excessive for normal plinking but I can definitely tell it takes more time to come back on target for fast cowboy action.
    Last edited by smkummer; 12-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I have gone as low as @200fps from a 7½" Colt SAA in 45LC.
    @1.2grains of TB behind a 255grain lead bullet.
    Consistent ignition and no stuck squibs.

The 27yds to the target took some time

Boolit Master

I gave up on Trailboss in light loads because of pressure spikes.
    TiteGroup shows lower pressure then Trailboss in those light loads.

But I do use it in heavier .45Colt loads & lots of older RIFLE Cartridge loadings.

The old Hodgdon Cowboy Action Reloading Handout from 2003 shows pressure tested loads for 4 different powders & 4 different bullet weights from 160gr to 240gr.

If your interested, send me a PM with your mailing address. I'll mail you a copy of the .44 Mag, Spl & Russian.

They show even lighter loads then I shoot.
    The load I use does very well in a 624 - 3" & a COLT Clone in 3 1/2" bbl.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Good advise, but not quite what I’m looking for. I don’t have trail boss or universal, or titewad, nor do I have the 200 grain mould. I did find a Lee 430-240 SWC 90357 in my stash. I’ll do a little more research with the powders I have and see how low I can safely go. I don’t want to scare my wife away from this big bore. It’s going to be her defense gun and I want her to feel comfortable shooting it.
    I experimented a bit with 6 grains of Win 231 and Speer .430" 240 grain swaged SWC's. In my 4 /12" Ruger 44 Special Blackhawk it was averaging 810 fps, and was a light load. I did not try to go any lower than that. In the event you try Trail Boss, with 4.8 grains of Trail Boss and the same bullet it averaged 686 fps, which is really getting pretty light.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i really like 4.5 grains of unique and a lee 240 swc very mild and very accurate in my tauras and sw. my wife and niece just love this load.

3.5gr to 4.0gr of 231 or greendot pushing a 160gr to 200gr bullet makes for excellent plinking load in the ca bulldogs. I've owned bulldogs since the 80's & have shot countless 1000's of the light wc's in them. Any of the top row will work

[IMG][/IMG]

I would work with Red Dot and W231. Unique and 5744 would probably have large velocity extreme spreads for really light loads. (No experience with Green Dot).

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook gives 3.5gr Red Dot as a starting load. 545fps out of a 7-1/2" Blackhawk. I'd start there and the same 3.5gr load with W231.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

Looks like I need to look for a lighter boolit mould. Not sure if slowing down the 250 grain is going to be enough.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Lee makes a 429-200 RF (SKU 90285) that is both inexpensive and accurate. 4.0 grains of Red Dot under this results in a lighter recoiling load than just about any you can conjure up with a 240-250 grain boolit.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast