WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankfort arsenal co axial press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Looked at midways pics of the press. Not a bad looking press and innovative in some ways. The larger guide rods may make for a stiffer stronger support. The rods are fixed and the shell holder block slides on them, couldn't tell if they ae bushed or not, but this would make a rebuild when needed much easier as wear will be on rods and block not spaced out over the height of the frame. Shell holder seems a little different. One thing I noticed right off is it appears to use a modified 7/8" 14 nut ( set screw added) for die rings, this will be easier to make more of when needed and not a special purchase or big job to make like current die lock rings are. This looks like a standard nut faced to thickness and a set screw added. Bulk nuts can be bought reasonable. faced to correct thickness easily ( a spider for the lathe chuck push the nut in and face to thickness) drill and tap a 10-32 screw hole ( again a simple set up in drill press) and a package of bulk 10-32 X1/4" long brass set screws.
    Did you take a look at them? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...ocks-pack-of-3 That's going to take a lot more than facing them to size.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Most of the people that use the Coax are just reloaders. They do not do heavy duty case forming or bullet swaging. The COAX is not really designed for heavy duty use. It has an exceptionally long stroke for the operating handle that reduces the operator's effort. Result is Forster offers a short handle for those folks who get tired of the long stroke just fo some pistol round. There is a reason why compound leverage presses are more popular than the Coax. Many of my operations would break the die lock ring that retains the die in a Coax.
    This is why I have appropriate tools for specific jobs. I wouldn't consider a crescent wrench to remove lug nuts. I have a Co-Ax and if I were to do anything "too heavy" I'd just use my arbor press. Yep, the Forster (and Bonanza) Co-Ax are reloading presses. I buy screwdrivers to install/remove screws and not to use as a pry bar. I have ball peen, claw, brass and plastic hammers, and use each for the job they were designed for...

Would you use Fg black to reload your .243?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I se a cottage induxtry here. Someone will make a sleeve that fits on top of a normal die ring. Just add it to the normal die with ring and push it in the press. Voila! One sleeve to just be changed to every locked die/ring. Wouldn't that work easy?

Boolit Master
    Put it on the bottom would be even better....

Boolit Master
    Either press could be set up upside down to use it for sizing bullets (without lubing of course), instead of using the Star.

Boolit Grand Master

I only looked at them in the press pic on midways site and seen the front. Would have to acquire a couple to measure out now, to see how hard they would be to make up. Midway lists them as a dies casting on their site, This does explain the added thickness to them.

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm.... Midway raised the price from $209 to $249 in the last few hours...

That puts it within a few bucks of the Forster. Will be interesting to see how it performs.

Boolit Buddy
    The "yoke" on the new press looks even shorter than the original Co-Ax yoke. It's design needed to be changed to allow use of the micrometer seating dies, which usually don't clear the yoke of the handle. Had to replace the yoke on my Co-Ax press when I started shooting a Savage 338 Lapua at long range - Forster will sell any part of the Co-Ax as a replacement part.

Boolit Master
    I bet Midway runs them on sale for the original price of 209.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Either press could be set up upside down to use it for sizing bullets (without lubing of course), instead of using the Star.
    You would have to figger a way to keep the sizer ram in the press, the jaws open automatically when the handle is returned to the full down position.

I was seating some 45 ACP bullets yesterday when I remembered a complaint about "long handle throws" and noticed I was grabbing the yoke to operate the handle. I guess if you had to hold the end of the handle it might be "too long", but I don't often need to use that much force...

Banned
    Why anyone uses a "one die at a time" press when Redding makes their turret model is beyond me. I have 3 and 9 turrets. Guess what I never do ? Yup don't wear out die and press threads. For handguns I use the Lee turret, again, no die swapping and ammo that works 100%. I have many Forester dies as they are excellent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    Why anyone uses a "one die at a time" press when Redding makes their turret model is beyond me. I have 3 and 9 turrets. Guess what I never do ? Yup don't wear out die and press threads. For handguns I use the Lee turret, again, no die swapping and ammo that works 100%. I have many Forester dies as they are excellent.
    Accuracy........

I have a turret I don’t like it because it is more cumbersome to change or adjust a die . I like to change things up , setting a set of dies up and never changing them doesn’t appeal to me , if it did I’d probably buy a Dillion . There’s a thread in the stickies that talks about the difference between a reloader a hand loader and a caster . Do what you enjoy , but for me if the goal is to get a shell every pull of the handel , I may as well just buy them .
    We’re all enjoying our hobby for different reasons and we’re all goofy about something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I have been reloading for 35 years. I have some of my original Lee dies that still get used. I have an old used press I bought in '88 (I think it was manufactured in the '60s), and I haven't worn out any threads, on dies or presses. On most presses, the wear on the ram/frame is critical and that takes perhaps hundreds of thousands of rounds. Never heard of wearing out (?) threads...

I have used Lee's turret presses, and yep, no die swapping is needed, but I now own the best press I've ever operated and it's a "one die at a time" type. It's a Forster Co-Ax...

Banned
    To suggest that a Redding turret press cannot produce accurate ammo is just silly.

Once a die is set up properly in a turret it is and will stay more accurate than any press where dies are changed every time.

I'd suggest you buy Top Grade Ammo by Zediker and see how it's done.

Boolit Grand Master

Ease up CM. Nobody said turrets were inaccurate. The post you are referring to had one word "Accuracy". Many reloaders get better accuracy with their single stage presses. I got excellent accuracy with my Lee turret. I think there may be a better chance of getting repeatable handloads is a die is adjusted every time it's switched,and it's not a "set it and forget it". No big deal, no need to justify/champion a T-7 as every body knows they are an accurate, well made press...

Banned
    Not how I read it. Tubbs and Zediker use turrets and I'd opine, make batter ammo than any of us.

Not how I read it. Tubbs and Zediker use turrets and I'd opine, make batter ammo than any of us.
    Assuming your not claiming that a turret is inherently more accurate are there any benefits beyond speed ?

Do you put a spent case in your turret and not remove it until it’s a finished cartridge?

I do not . I decap off the press with a FA space gun . I like to do it in front of the Tv. Even if I did decap on the press this would still be a point where the case came off the press. I dry tumble in walnut , I believe if I were wet tumbling I’d have to do so decapped . I also prime off the press . So the first stage back on the press is sizing the next (assuming bottle neck rifle ) is flare then it’s time for powder. I charge w an electronic dispenser so we’re off the press again back for the final die.
    So the way I operate i only save time /prevent removing the case from the press once . With bottle neck cartridges I save going from size to flare. With straight wall pistol I save when I seat the bullet and crimp in two processes ( but that’s uncommon for me ) So for me any time savings is probably lost adjusting a die cramped between two others .

I could be talked into keeping it, what’s your process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Well, maybe I just should toss my Forster Co-Ax in the trash, get a Redding turret and start name dropping. Mebbe I'l get some accurate ammo (my 7/8" groups from my 308 must be pretty bad because I assembled them on my Co-Ax).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast