Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankfort arsenal co axial press

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Thanks
    Ive been reloading a long time. But 99.9% of it has been pistol cartridges. I didnt worry about bullet runout.
    So how does the Co ax die mounting assist in alleviating this problem?
    It has less lateral tension of the die on the cartridge at max extension (end point of case sizing or boolit seating).

The design concept is different than most single stage presses. It's an in-line press. Instead of relying on a strong metal frame to try to keep things aligned, it lets the die float and align itself with the shell.

For typical C or O presses, they may start out aligned (or not), but the more you crank down on the handle, the more they flex up and out. But accurate ammo can be loaded, by batching brass, using consistent handle pressure, and indexing the die's eccentricity versus the presses' eccentricity.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Can't afford to buy a co-ax just to test it for deflection.
    Sorry for the confusion. On a co-ax, for lateral deflection you'll probably watch the die move around more as it self-aligns. The lateral deflection test is useful in comparing different O and C presses.

The range of vertical deflection test will still be relevant.
    Last edited by HangFireW8; 01-06-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

I reload more straight wall pistol cartridges than I do bottle neck rifle. Is there any advantage to the co axe style presses over any other single stage in pistol reloading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I reload more straight wall pistol cartridges than I do bottle neck rifle. Is there any advantage to the co axe style presses over any other single stage in pistol reloading?
    Speaking for both, probably no advantage for accuracy.

Speaking for the Forster only, the quick die changes are faster than LnL or Breech Lock, but the universal shell holders are only faster if you don't have to flip from large to small, then standard shell holders will change faster.

I don't have/haven't tried the Frankfort, so not sure there.
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

I reloaded for 30 years before I got my Co-Ax. I find that nearly everything is better on my Co-Ax than my Lee turret or Boss, or the other "O" presses I've owned. I like the shell holder jaws; just drop a case on the jaw block and raise the handle, no sliding a case in a slot (which can be a huge benefit when processing Garand brass). For some swapping jaws maybe a task, but it only takes me less than one minute. I often prime singly so the individual primer feeding is no big deal for me and priming is very positive. Shell holder jaws for the priming are easily adjusted. Some complain about the long handle throw, but I often find myself just grabbing the yoke and operating the press. It takes longer to think about die changes than to think about die changes. As mentioned above floating dies and floating case holding adds to accuracy. I have sized bullets on my press, quite easily swaging .004" off some of my cast bullets. Nope, it isn't as fast as a Dillon progressive, but I don't have a quota, and rounds per hour, to me pertains to firing rate of automatic machine gins. Ease of operation, accurate/precise reloading are keys to my liking the Co-Ax.

I've only seen a few pics of the FA Co-Ax so I can't compare that press to a Forster/Bonanza...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-07-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I agree 100% with MDI’s above comment. I know I’m a low post count member but like MDI I’ve been loading for a long time (60+ years) on single stage presses. I don’t believe it makes it “better” reloads but CO-AX has a feel and simplicity of operation that made handloading easier and more enjoyable.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Frankford Arsenal M-Press (NEW): Unboxing and Complete Overview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBZP4uMN_LY

Banned

Interesting video
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Looks like a well thought out system for a lot of reloaders.

Boy, he sure has a rock solid mounting system. I never saw that press shift at all.

Thanks for posting that video Castalott.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-14-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Bad typing
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    No
    A Vise Grip IS an improvement of conventional pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Vice grips.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. If the materials are quality and fit and finish are on, this press might be competition for the Forster...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Looks to me like they are trying reinvent the mouse trap . I have a Forester coax that has been my favorite for years. Good luck to them.

I have a feeling this press is going to sell well, but I think I'd still like to try &
    find a Co-Ax that I can afford.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Different strokes (of the press) for different folks.

I'll stick with my RC and Dillon 550 presses for now.

Boolit Master
    Looks like an imported copy. I make a habit of buying American where possible.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Quote Originally Posted by castalott View Post
    Frankford Arsenal M-Press (NEW): Unboxing and Complete Overview
    Looks good. Enough different about it that it's a nice alternative, rather than a knock-off.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Looks good. Enough different about it that it's a nice alternative, rather than a knock-off.
    Until you have to buy the die blocks and case @ 15.00 for 3 die set. After 3 sets you could have bought the Co-ax and use regular die rings. Most reloaders have more than 3 die sets.

Banned

That is inaccurate. After 6 or 8 sets you are getting there.
    Buy it, don't buy it. Why do people care who buys whatever they want?

Boolit Master
    SHOT Show 2019: Frankford Arsenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjAM...SXtmFN&index=8

Looks like they did a very nice job on the design.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast