RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankfort arsenal co axial press

Frankfort arsenal co axial press

I have a lyman all american 8 , I dont think im a turret press guy. I change my dies all the time and they are too close together in the turret for my liking. Id really like a forester co axe but they are backordered everywhere. While perusing the midway sight i noticed Frankfort is comming out with a press. Looks like the dies will mount into a bar . Anyone know anything about these? Any one delt with Frankfort customer service, are they a good company ?
    Ben

Banned

Interesting
    They make many good and useful products

I hope it contributes innovations in the evolution of all SS presses. I'm to old to investigate as my old Bonanza CO-AX was and now is my dream SS press. It is what the 550 is to the Loadmaster just perfection.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought my CoAx when Bonanza made it....no regrets ever. I think it was $68 back then. A lot of money for a young guy starting out.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If you can hold out for a Forster it will be well worth the wait! A most excellent press.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I made a lot of the parts for my co-ax presses and could really only improve on the shell holder jaw housing and screws.
    I wanted quick change from 223 jaws to 7mmRM jaws while blindfolded. Some machine shop owner on Long Range hunting figured out what I did 10 years earlier.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...sGfVVq3OrRGPOY

It looks like a completely new jaw holder housing system.

I just paid the $20, but it does not look like I can upload a picture yet.
    I will come back some other day.

I paid another $10 just now, pics still not uploading, my limit is reached.
    Last edited by Clark; 12-19-2018 at 02:12 AM. Reason: try to upload pics

It's a WEB SITE. I guess a web sight is a view, somehow, of the www from above?

Boolit Master
    The FA press looks like a better design than the COAX but that is normal. The guide shafts are much heavier.
    Usually design iterations make for better and better designs.
    Name almost any mechanical device that does not get better over 50 years of development.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...-clone.844503/ Here's a discussion on the FA Co-Ax. I don't think it will be any threat to the Forster Co-Ax. Mine is excellent and any "cons" are so minor I don't pay much attention to them. I'd put my order in now and wait for the best...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

Since no one has used one, it is impossible to pass judgment on it. May be a great press. But not sure how we can say it is bad press in a vacuum. I could not care less what The High Road forum thinks about it. I say more options are better and hope it is a fantastic press at a fair price.

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately I do not speak English and I use the computer translator: for this reason I do not know if my thoughts will be correctly translated,
    From the photos I see that the ram are on a back plane with respect to the dies and the shell holder / case. for this reason MY OPINION is that the press behaves like a "C" press. That is, there are forces of torsion, perhaps of very small entity, and without any influence, but there are!
    So without having tried it is impossible to give an opinion!
    I believe an alignment rams-dies-shell holder, as in the CH press

No ebay links please

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/044000

it would have worked better!
    Last edited by Pressman; 12-23-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Looked at midways pics of the press. Not a bad looking press and innovative in some ways. The larger guide rods may make for a stiffer stronger support. The rods are fixed and the shell holder block slides on them, couldn't tell if they ae bushed or not, but this would make a rebuild when needed much easier as wear will be on rods and block not spaced out over the height of the frame. Shell holder seems a little different. One thing I noticed right off is it appears to use a modified 7/8" 14 nut ( set screw added) for die rings, this will be easier to make more of when needed and not a special purchase or big job to make like current die lock rings are. This looks like a standard nut faced to thickness and a set screw added. Bulk nuts can be bought reasonable. faced to correct thickness easily ( a spider for the lathe chuck push the nut in and face to thickness) drill and tap a 10-32 screw hole ( again a simple set up in drill press) and a package of bulk 10-32 X1/4" long brass set screws.
    The floating die and shell holder make for a very accurate set up if machined square and true this should be a very fine press

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Since no one has used one, it is impossible to pass judgment on it. May be a great press. But not sure how we can say it is bad press in a vacuum. I could not care less what The High Road forum thinks about it. I say more options are better and hope it is a fantastic press at a fair price.
    I posted the link for members to see what another forum discussed. The discussion was typical of reloading forums as most just voiced their opinion based a pic or two. Same thing happens here. I didn't consider your feelings about another forum and the posts above mine were kinda sketchy. I just added to the thread...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I hope it applies price pressure to the Forster product. I owned a Co-Ax. I didn't think it was a great press. I like the ones on my bench now better than the Co-Ax.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Most of the people that use the Coax are just reloaders. They do not do heavy duty case forming or bullet swaging. The COAX is not really designed for heavy duty use. It has an exceptionally long stroke for the operating handle that reduces the operator's effort. Result is Forster offers a short handle for those folks who get tired of the long stroke just fo some pistol round. There is a reason why compound leverage presses are more popular than the Coax. Many of my operations would break the die lock ring that retains the die in a Coax.
    EDG

Banned

Makes sense

I had a couple turret presses a coaxial and a couple single stage over 40 tears ago, but when I bought a Rock Chucker the single stages as well as an old T-Press went down the road. Then over 30 years ago I bought a Dillon 550, that is when the rest were found useless except the R.C. I have two metallic presses on my bench today a Dillon 550, and Old RCBS Rock Chucker,,,, don't see how I could have anything better for everything.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. It appears to be more compact than the Coax with the same advantages. Costs a little less too. I'm not sure about the lock rings. They look 'thick' and would be special.

I like using different presses for different things. ( Ultra mag to size tough stuff and the Coax when precision is required, etc.etc.etc.....) I'd like to see one in person to decide...

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The FA press looks like a better design than the COAX but that is normal. The guide shafts are much heavier.
    Usually design iterations make for better and better designs.
    Name almost any mechanical device that does not get better over 50 years of development.
    Vice grips.

Id like to try this press but when I had an “over the top” swing press (rcbs summit) I found that the reach of my arm up one over the press was far more exertion and strain than pushing down and up with the stroke of a conventional press. That press was sold almost immediately and I can say it was one of the worst purchases I’ve ever made in this hobby.
    So I’m left wondering what role these type presses fulfill.

I don’t like the fancy looking die blocks but I’m wondering if two regular rings could be substituted
    Last edited by Drew P; 12-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast