MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Frankfort arsenal co axial press

Banned

Once I saw what David Tubbs could do with a 550 I had to buy two.

Boolit Master
    Relax folks, the Forster CO-ax will remain the ultimate press for making accurate ammo and quickest of cal. changes, also works good upside down for sizing bullets without lubing them.

Boolit Master

Precision Shooting had a good article some years back where a 550 user measured COAL differences and shell holder deflection with one versus several catridges on the press. There was a lot of variation between them.

I did the same tests on my Hornady ProJector and duplicated the results (different values of course but same issues found).

Of course careful single cartridge loading on the 550 can greatly reduce that OAL variation. Or you can just use a single stage.

The CoAx also gives runout advantages. I can duplicate results with indexed dies on my RC, but it is just easier on my CoAx.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    Y'all might want to read Dec Handloader where they review a Redding turret that loaded 1,000,000 + rounds for Sierra bullet company. We all know that Sierra makes junk bullets so who cares what equipment they use ? I won't recap the story, you need to read it on your own.
    LOL!

Banned
    Hmm-- deaf-fing silence.

Banned

No doubt the T-7 is worth owning.
    As are most presses.
    There is no single best press for everyone's needs.

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    I have a lyman all american 8 , I dont think im a turret press guy. I change my dies all the time and they are too close together in the turret for my liking. Id really like a forester co axe but they are backordered everywhere. While perusing the midway sight i noticed Frankfort is comming out with a press. Looks like the dies will mount into a bar . Anyone know anything about these? Any one delt with Frankfort customer service, are they a good company ?
    Ben
    As GREAT as the t7 is , it does not suit my needs . I still haven’t heard from anyone who delt with FA customer service??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Wonder why a T7 would not suit anyone's needs (unless you need a progressive) ? Good enough for Sierra to load 1,000,000 rounds but not for a reloading hobbyist ?

But, then again, people still buy 310 tools.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    You would have to figger a way to keep the sizer ram in the press, the jaws open automatically when the handle is returned to the full down position.

I was seating some 45 ACP bullets yesterday when I remembered a complaint about "long handle throws" and noticed I was grabbing the yoke to operate the handle. I guess if you had to hold the end of the handle it might be "too long", but I don't often need to use that much force...
    Forster/Bonanza offer an adapter for conventional shell holders which will accept the push through sizer ram. Inverted press bullet sizing seems a waste with this type press.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CM View Post
    Wonder why a T7 would not suit anyone's needs (unless you need a progressive) ? Good enough for Sierra to load 1,000,000 rounds but not for a reloading hobbyist ?

One reason is that many don’t understand how to use a manual Turret as it was designed. Some are just stuck in that “batch”single stage mentality; and think the extra holes are for convenient die storage- not there’s anything wrong with that.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned

I doubt the function of turret presses is lost on anyone. Manually moving a turret-turret head two or three times for a single load may not be everyone's cup of tea.
    I would own a T-4 with reasonably priced tool heads that are easy to swap out.
    That Sierra has one seems completely irrevelent to me. Get what you want, use what you want.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmm-- deaf-fing silence.
    Nope. Just nobody cared to reply...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-02-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

My biggest complaint is it’s a pain to swap or adjust dies when there are two others so close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Ok ....somebody explain why the Co Ax is so accurate. I like the die quick change ability. But I have that on my Rockchucker and my Redding Big Boss2. Easily done with Hornady LNL bushings. I like the primer system on the Co Ax. But I use hand primers. Is the fact that the die floats a bit really make ammo more accurate? Im not bashing the press at all. Just pleading ignorance about its benefits.

Boolit Master

Hook up a dial indicator and find out for yourself!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    can you explain?

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know about other reloaders, but I was curious about cartridge "run out". I bought a Hornady gauge and tested some recent handloads; 308 Win., LC brass, IMR 4895, under Hornady 155 gr. A-Max bullets. I used Lee dies, no crimp. I was surprised to see just .0015"-.0025" runout (I wasn't sure so I reread the instructions and rechecked several. Same readings). Maybe that contributes to a Co-Ax's accuracy?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Mdi,

That's rather good. It is when you find the occasional .015"+ then you realize where unexplained flyers come from.

Duolos,

With a magnetic base firmly in place on the press base, the dial indicator on the die will show you how much rise (up) and ( mounted sideways) deflection (over) your press allows. You are not just looking for low values, but consistent ones. You need to test deflection at least twice, at 90degree angles, measure a statistically significant number of sizings/seatings, and use different types of brass.

But the real test is the finished product, as mdi tested.
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks
    Ive been reloading a long time. But 99.9% of it has been pistol cartridges. I didnt worry about bullet runout.
    So how does the Co ax die mounting assist in alleviating this problem?
    Mdi,

That's rather good. It is when you find the occasional .015"+ then you realize where unexplained flyers come from.

Duolos,

With a magnetic base firmly in place on the press base, the dial indicator on the die will show you how much rise (up) and ( mounted sideways) deflection (over) your press allows. You are not just looking for low values, but consistent ones. You need to test deflection at least twice, at 90degree angles, measure a statistically significant number of sizings/seatings, and use different types of brass.

But the real test is the finished product, as mdi tested.

Boolit Master

Can't afford to buy a co-ax just to test it for deflection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast