RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Hulls

Boolit Master

Federal Hulls

Quick Question for those who have been at this a long time,

I was looking for some 1 3/8 oz loads for my Federal "top gun" hunting hulls using some Longshot powder.
    I found some load data on the Hodgdon site but they don't list anything the using the Plastic hunting hulls, only the FEDERAL GOLD METAL PLASTIC.

The load was:
    Powder Primer WAD GRS Pressure Velocity
    Hodgdon Longshot Fed. 209A WAA12F114 24.6 9,300 PSI 1,185
    Hodgdon Longshot Fed. 209A WAA12F114 26.3 10,300 PSI 1,240
    Hodgdon Longshot Fed. 209A WAA12F114 28.0 11,500 PSI 1,295

I've checked some of the Federal load data and it appears that the GM hulls generate a higher PSI with same or less powder compared to the hunting hulls, everything else being equal.

My question - For those who know more than I, if I stay at the low end of these loads, can I use them in my hunting hulls?

Thanks
    Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

The hunting hulls with paper base wads have less volume. The loads for gold medal hulls would need to be reduced or you would be over pressure.
    How much to reduce? That's where it gets risky
    Here is a good read on hull volumes
    https://pipesf16.wordpress.com/12-ga-2-75-hull-volumes/

Boolit Grand Master

You would be correct that the GM usually has higher pressures than the paper based top gun. I don't use Longshot powder anymore, but I do know you wont want a Winchester wad in a Federal hull with Longshot. There will be tons of powder migration. I'll check some manuals later and see if any listed might work for you. I will say the Federal top gun listed 1 3⁄8 oz load , Fed 209A, 12S4 wad, and 32 grains of Bluedot is a very good one.

Boolit Master

MSM

Thanks for the insight, I thought about that , straight wall verses taper wall.
    I have tried the 12s4 wad, and was hoping to find something with a little more payload space. The WAA12F114 has just a little more space.

I'm trying to fit twelve .320 diameter buckshot and a OS12 overshot card then roll crimp.

Scott
    Last edited by dsh1106; 12-17-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Banned

They are both straight wall. The hunting hull just has a 1/4" paper wad in the base.

MSM's load mentioned above is from the Federal web site for TopGun hulls and as he says it's a very good one. I like Longshot powder but I'm down to about 1/4lb. and I just picked up 5lbs. of BlueDot so I'm migrating in that direction. Gp Ps Sometimes when the .320s get tight in a load. I use .311s

Boolit Grand Master

Here is from page 148 of the Lyman manual, unfortunately only Winchester and Remington wads.

Federal paper base
    Federal 209A
    28.5 gr Longshot (28 gr if using Rem RP12 wad)
    Winchester AA12R wad
    1 3/8 oz lead shot

1302 FPS / 10,400 PSI

Being as you said you want buckshot, I always found fiber wads to be better. The following load is my choice in a Federal Gold Medal hull with bluedot. I may have used a cork wad or something to adjust height, but did not note it. Buffer is important for good buckshot patterns. This load has got to be right up there to a max in a gold medal hull, and should be just fine in the fiber base. THIS IS NOT A PUBLISHED LOAD. No plastic wad will pattern as tight as this load will that I've found.

Federal 209A
    32 gr Bluedot
    X12X gas seal
    1/8" nitro card
    1/2" fiber wad
    15 pellets 2 buck in layers of 5 (about 1 1/4 oz)
    PSB buffer (forgot which Lee scoop I use)
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-18-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Banned

If you want more capacity try to find some buckshot hulls. They have even a shallower base than the GM hulls. Almost the same as a Activ hull.

Boolit Mold
    Have a look on Youtube channel Bubba Roundtree Outdoors he loads a lot of buckshot and I have pressure tested some of his loads and they are fine. Over here I don't have access to the Federal paper base case but use Cheddite, Fiocchi and the Federal one piece plastic case, all 3 inch. These loads pattern very well but you would need to get the right BPI wads

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    They are both straight wall. The hunting hull just has a 1/4" paper wad in the base.
    I was referring to the WAD design:
    FEDERAL = Straight Wall Hull
    Winchester = Taper Wall Hull
    Scott

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I was referring to the WAD design:
    FEDERAL = Straight Wall Hull
    Winchester = Taper Wall Hull
    You need to be more specific about what you want. Federal has HUNTING HULLS!!!!!!!! They are the paper base wads that every person here has been giving you loads for. Every person here thought you were talking about the paper base wad hull. NOT WINCHESTER TAPER HULL!!!! THIS CAN GET YOU BADLY HURT!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    You need to be more specific about what you want. Federal has HUNTING HULLS!!!!!!!! They are the paper base wads that every person here has been giving you loads for. Every person here thought you were talking about the paper base wad hull. NOT WINCHESTER TAPER HULL!!!! THIS CAN GET YOU BADLY HURT!
    You are the only one confused. Dsh1106 has been very specific and easy to understand.

Banned

The Buckshot hulls will still give you more capacity. It lowers your load into the case. That is the reason Federal uses them to fit more buckshot into the case and use more powder to increase the speed. I pick them up whenever I see them at the range. Tactical buckshot loads.

Attachment 232410

This may or may not help:

https://youtu.be/jIsHHGlkw-Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    You are talking about the Federal .090" Hull with the deep base. It is true that they have the most internal Capacity.
    I use Them in 3" for a 47 Pellet #4 Buckshot Load.

Anytime Powder Migration happens, You can potentially have a Problem. The Ball/Spherical Powders seem to
    move alot more than Flake Types. Longshot an Lil Gun along with their Non Canister Relatives are fussy about which Shot Wads can retain Powder in the straight Wall Hulls.

Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg5278 View Post
    You are talking about the Federal .090" Hull with the deep base. It is true that they have the most internal Capacity.
    I use Them in 3" for a 47 Pellet #4 Buckshot Load.

Anytime Powder Migration happens, You can potentially have a Problem. The Ball/Spherical Powders seem to
    move alot more than Flake Types. Longshot an Lil Gun along with their Non Canister Relatives are fussy about which Shot Wads can retain Powder in the straight Wall Hulls.

Greg
    AKA 12 Bore
    My original question was referring to these paper based Federal wads.
    Both of these have the same internal capacity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180427_185337.jpg   20180427_185353.jpg   20180427_185406.jpg   20181129_144401.jpg   20181211_083747.jpg  

20181211_083714.jpg  
    Scott

Boolit Master

Best I can identify there are 5 different Federal hulls in use now.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know why people are so confused dsh1106, your posts make sense to me. As you can see, the pressures between the the gold medal and the fiber base are pretty close, the gold medal generally being higher. I've used gold medal data before in a fiber base hull with good results.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't know why people are so confused dsh1106, your posts make sense to me. As you can see, the pressures between the the gold medal and the fiber base are pretty close, the gold medal generally being higher. I've used gold medal data before in a fiber base hull with good results.
    msm

Maybe I'll try Ajay's trick and wrap the WAA12F114 with a piece of news paper to seal the wad & the hull.

Post 710
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Sabot!/page36
    Last edited by dsh1106; 12-22-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen that before, no reason it won't work. I haven't tried it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast