WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: J. Browning 1895 "Potato Digger" M.Gun Video

Boolit Master

J. Browning 1895 "Potato Digger" M.Gun Video

I ran across this animation video today & thought I would share it here at CB.GL Forum for others to see & enjoy.

I thought it was a well made video that shows how that old MG works.

Below is another video that has a bit of history & actual footage of it in use:

Enjoy!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 12-17-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

So cool and it deserves the nickname. Also neat that it appears to be firing 6mm Lee Navy(at least to my eye).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    So cool and it deserves the nickname. Also neat that it appears to be firing 6mm Lee Navy(at least to my eye).

That would make sense since the Marines (and much of the Navy) were equipped with the M1895 Lee Navy from 1895 to 1907. Machine guns of the same caliber would be appropriate to reduce logistics train on ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1895_Lee_Navy

I have read that two of the same designed Machine Guns were Given/Bought(?) by Teddy Roosevelt and were used in the charge up Kettle Hill (Incorrectly referred to as San Juan Hill). Exception was that they were chambered in 7x57 as that's what was in the hardware store where they were procured. Although not a great logistics plan to have a chambering for a caliber that your country does not use; it was a Fortuitous chambering as Roosevelts Rough Riders were capturing lots of 7x57 as they progressed and it was used to keep the two machine guns fed.

Really enjoyed the two videos; thanks for posting them. Particularly liked the graphics showing the operation of the Machine Gun in the first video.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-17-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Pretty cool JB...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    A few 6mm Lee Potato diggers were used by Marines in WW1.

Boolit Master
    I don't care what caliber. I want one. same for a Lewis gun.

John Browning converted a 92 Win. to semiautomatic operation in a couple of days. It used a muzzle plate to work the action.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    John Browning converted a 92 Win. to semiautomatic operation in a couple of days. It used a muzzle plate to work the action.

There was a device that was fitted to a Lee Enfield 303 that made it full auto as well Not sure who invented that one. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I believe one of Teddy's guns is on display somewhere, saw an article on it in the American Rifleman I think. When I win the Lottery, I'm going to buy a potato digger or a Maxim gun,or both

Beautiful piece of ordnance. For those who have never seen the movie "Rough Riders" be sure to do so. These guns are shown in action. A fictionalized account of San Juan Hill, but real guns. History says they were given as a gift to the Rough Riders by the Tiffany family of New York who had a son serving in the unit.

I have also herd that some 1895 Colts were donated by Hearst the newspaper man that had a lot to
    do with pressing for war with Spain. The sinking of the Maine was tipping point. There has been several reports and investigations that explosion was caused by coal dust ignition.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    There was a device that was fitted to a Lee Enfield 303 that made it full auto as well Not sure who invented that one. Regards Stephen

Are you thinking of the Pederson Device that basically converted an `03 Springfield to a pistol cartridge firing trench sweeper?Robert

Boolit Master
    Nice pair of videos.Thanks for posting.In the American Legion post that my Father belonged to,there was not only one of the 1895`s,but also a Maxim 08 on display.IIRC,niether was a DEWAT.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Banned
    Years back bought a brand new 30-03 surplus barrel for one of these. Put it on an 03' action. Shot great and was very cool at the range with the fins !

Boolit Master
    Theres a one off semi auto conversion of the 1903 Springfield and more than one full auto conversion of the Lee Enfield. These retained the original full power chambering.
    There's a Select fire conversion of the Lee Enfield in 7.63 Mauser. The finished product being a very short carbine. it looks like an adaptation of the .32 Pederson Device.

Most of the WW1 infantry rifles were subjects of experimental autoloading conversions.

The Marlin aircraft gun was basically the potato digger adapted to a more conventional gas tube and piston system.
    The Marlin had a rate of fire too high for the cartridge cases in use back then. The cartridge was chambered so violently that the shoulder was set back leaving it in an excessive headspace situation. It also constricted the case mouth causing excessive pressure. Blown primers and case separations were common.
    The chamber dimensions were altered, with a shorter shoulder which caused the case to absorb some forward thrust as it sized itself to the chamber, but only a stouter cartridge case and a heavily crimped primer could cure the problem.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 12-24-2018 at 08:21 AM.