Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Thoughts on 44 mag chronograph session...

Thoughts on 44 mag chronograph session...

I fired several shots out of my Ruger Redhawk chambered in 44 magnum with a 7" barrel.
    The boolit is an accurate mold that cast 240 A and 240 AG -- two cavities each in a four cavity mould.

My moderate load is 8.5 grn Unique and I shoot the PB boolits with that load. Then my "full house" load is 23.5 grn W296 and I shoot GC boolits with that load.

Both loads had a low spread and they are loads I have found to be accurate.

But my expectation was that the unique loads were 900 or so fps and the W296 loads were in the 1500 fps range.

Results were the unique load is in the 1100 fps range and the W296 is in the 1400 fps range. A little different than what I expected!

These boolits are "lubed" by a powder coat and are sized to .430. I'm using WLP primers and my brass is a grab bag of random brass...

Boolit Master

I don't think either of those Chrono readings really surprised me.

It's rare to get 1500fps from a handgun with 44 Mag, the 7" barrel notwithstanding. As for the Unique load, I think the longer barrel helped the velocity. I have similar vels using Universal in a 7.5" SBH, not quite that high, but close.

I had several similar experiences when I first got a Chrono. Some velocities were not what I was expecting.
    I think that's half the fun of having one.....

Boolit Grand Master

Alliant shows 7 grains Unique to be going about 900 fps with a 240 grain SWC, and 10.3 grains 1175 fps with a 240 grain Speer Gold dot. First is 7.5" barrel, second is 8.3". I'd say you are in the that ballpark. Hodgdon shows a max load with a 240 grain JHP of 24 grains W296 at 1522 fps, from a 8.3" barrel. Also remember these are vented barrels, not true revolver velocities.

Boolit Grand Master

Out of my Ruger 6 1/2" Ruger 50th FTBH the 250 gr 44-250-K on top of 8.5 gr Unique runs over 1000 fps. The 429360 and TL44-240-SWC run 1050+ fps so with your longer barrel it's entirely probable to expect 100+ fps with the same 240 gr bullets. While I don't use 296/H110 in the 44 magnum with PB'd bullets anymore previous testing with H110 in a 71/2" BH suggests your loads there are as they should be also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

It is also a little amazing that what I would consider a round with relatively mild recoil is only about 300 fps lower than what I would consider a round with stout recoil.
    I'm gonna have to make some trailboss and A2400 rounds now...

Boolit Grand Master

Remember, powder is a part of recoil. That unique load is like shooting a bullet 15 grains lighter than the W296.