Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: While waiting for my sharps build...

While waiting for my sharps build...

They are starting the 2018 orders soon!

I'm hoping to have one in my hands before Nov.

I'm a Trapdoor shooter and typically I run a Bore Butter patch down the barrel every 5th shot.....

For those Sharps owners, I am curious as to your cadence for running a patch through the barrel, how many shots before you do, what you put on your patch or do you just swab, etc.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mak View Post
    They are starting the 2018 orders soon!

I'm hoping to have one in my hands before Nov.

I'm a Trapdoor shooter and typically I run a Bore Butter patch down the barrel every 5th shot.....

For those Sharps owners, I am curious as to your cadence for running a patch through the barrel, how many shots before you do, what you put on your patch or do you just swab, etc.
    If accuracy is the goal, you want bore consistency every shot.
    Consistency means wiping after every shot. Or in cooler weather, blow tube after each shot.
    What to wipe with can be a whole thread on its own.
    For starters try one wet patch with water or water and 10% water soluble cutting oil (like from the NAPA store- ask for it)
    Wet - like not dripping - just damp.
    Then wipe with a second dry patch - optional. I don't, I often shoot GG bullets, wet wipe and not following up with a dry patch leaving the barrel damp.

Use a nylon brush to patch - a good one is the Montana Extreme nylon brush the same caliber as the rifle you are shooting. A small diameter (long) Dewy or Tipton rod is the right rod to push them with. The larger Delron rods can abrade your rifles bore.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Chill Wills

THank you sir!
    I bought the flexible push rod from Buffalo Arms.

Question: I cast 405 and 500 gr boolits for the trapdoor. A friend gave me some postells in Lyman 535 gr. Do I need a special seating stem in my 45-70 seating die for the postells or just adjust the die ?

Boolit Master
    It depends on the weather and the kind of match. For silhouette I run two damp between shots. For BPTR two or three depending on the weather. When it's really hot I use wetter patches than in cool overcast weather. Recently I've been using a potato ricer to squeeze excess fluid from the patches. This seems to make them more consistent than doing it by hand.

I don't follow with a dry patch unless I'm shooting PP bullets. If shooting anything longer than a 2.1" case I dry the chamber between shots with a shotgun mop. For the shorter cases I don't bother as I've never stretched one.

I like the Tipton nylon brushes on a carbon fiber or flexible rod to wipe with.

For seating GG bullets, if you are using neck tension, then the Shiloh inline seater is really nice. I've got them for various calibres and they make for less runout than with my Redding Competition seater. The runout, as I measure it, is usually around 1/2 thousands, plus they don't leave marks on the bullet nose as the seater fits the bullet perfectly.

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    . The larger Delron rods can abrade your rifles bore.

Good luck and have fun.
    I assume you really mean Delrin, an acetalcopolymer. In which case, it cannot EVER be harder than any steel bore, unless contaminated by being scrubbed into the sand or dirt, thus picking up abrasives, just like ANY OTHER material could. That would be far-fetched, indeed, since Delrin is extremely resistant to any adhesion, of any kind.

Boolit Master
    You can definitely get stuff stuck to your Delrin rod without needing any embedding. Once when shooting midrange at Byers Colorado, there was a good stiff wind that was picking up sand and blowing it onto everything. The residual wiping fluid on my rod made the sand particles stick to it. It was pretty much impossible to deal with. Even opening the line box for a couple of seconds to get a cartridge out caused hem all to be encrusted with sand. Not a very enjoyable feeling at all. In those circumstances though, I don't think any other wiping rod would do much better, except maybe the carbon fibre ones, and only because they are much thinner and thus have way less surface area to hold sand .

Chris.