RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Polymer80 Build.

Boolit Buddy

Polymer80 Build.

I recently purchased a Polymer80 kit with everything needed to build their version of the Glock 19.

At first the gun was very very tight to the point that it was very hard to even cycle the gun. Come to find out the lower parts kit had an extra pin in it that was made out of plastic.
    When I assembled it I didn't notice that it was plastic and disregarded the apparently steel pin that holds the front rail in.

After I installed the steel pin things were much much smoother, but still pretty tight. I knocked off the rough edges of the front rails with a file, and ran some polishing compound over the front and back rails for good measure. It's so smooth now that it almost feels like it's on ball bearings.

I went out and shot it yesterday before the polishing, and today. Post polishing the gun ran like a top. I started out with a normal two hand grip, then one handed, and finally just holding on with trigger finger and thumb. The gun cycled just fine even with just a two finger grip, and the slide locked back on every mag.

I will be taking it to and IDPA match tomorrow to let other people shoot it and put it through its paces.

I purchased the complete kit for $450 shipped from www.80pbuilder.com.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-12-16 16-24-06.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	232189

Boolit Master

Nice!

I've been tempted by those. They seem to be very popular among folks who want the simplicity and reliability of the Glock platform, but don't like the grip angle.

Now that Washington state is making pistol and semi-auto rifle purchasing an invasion of privacy, I might have to build one if I want another pistol.

Do they offer .40 S&W versions?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    You can build a .40 version if you want. The frame is compatible with either Glock 19 or Glock 23 internals and slides/barrels.

Boolit Master
    I got lucky Midway had a sale, usually a frame is $150. Was $50, then the parts kits were marked down, have about $90 in the completed lower. Bought a used upper of ebay for $200, came w night sites, 40 cal barrel.

Mine was pretty tight to, took alot of fiddling w the rear rails for it to work. Aftermarket trigger took some work, was the kind where its just the trigger shoe, attach it to a factory transfer bar. But it does go bang when you want it to. And could customize the grip to my liking, and no glock angle.

Boolit Bub
    My first few builds were pretty tight at first too, especially the first generation frames that are now paperweights. In general my experience has been that as long as the pin holes are drilled right and the recoil spring channel is FULLY cleared out they are great pistols. All of mine are .40s, you should get the .40 ejector if you are building a .40, but they weill work with the 9mm ejector although there are some people who worry about a primer strike using the 9mm ejector.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several of the 80% AR lowers and they work fine. I was thinking of trying a Glock lower just for kicks.

Did you use the jig or free hand the final?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If any one has a jig to finish an AR 10 or 15 they wouldn't mind selling or renting out. Please PM me.

ADMIN

I just don't understand the whole reason behind doing a Poly80 kit besides saying you built it.

Complete frames are $140 shipped on gunbroker
    A complete 3rd gen is $390 right now on Gunbroker

And YES I get the whole not on the books deal but I can go right now and pick up one locally doing a FTF transaction and its not on the books.

This is the same for the AR 80 lowers. Why?

Boolit Grand Master

I just don't understand the whole reason behind doing a Poly80 kit besides saying you built it.

You can buy cast boolits, too. Why do you cast?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

You can buy cast boolits, too. Why do you cast?
    Thats easy.
    I can cast cheaper then I can buy.
    You can't build a Glock clone cheaper then you can buy a complete weapon (exception if you got a deal on the upper half)

Same logic on reloading.
    I can reload for @ 7 cents a round (if I already have the brass)
    Heck 22 lr cost you @3 cents a round to buy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post

And YES I get the whole not on the books deal but I can go right now and pick up one locally doing a FTF transaction and its not on the books.

I have been interested in them, but I haven't done anything yet. But I would do it just because I get to machine it and put together a gun myself. Something like a hobby, where I can say I made it myself. I tend to like to make things myself.

Moderator Emeritus

I have thought of building the 80% but keep coming back to not being able to sell it or basically give it to anyone as no serial number registered. Yea I know what someone doesn't know but that always comes back to bite ya.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post

I don't like Glock grips. Never have, never will. To me they just feel like I'm holding a lego block at a weird angle. The grip texture is also much better on a Polymer80 frame in my opinion.
    If you don't want a Polymer80 frame, don't buy one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I have several of the 80% AR lowers and they work fine. I was thinking of trying a Glock lower just for kicks.

Did you use the jig or free hand the final?
    I used the jig to drill the holes. The rest of it was free hand. I used a pair of end snips to remove most of the plastic from the top of the frame and a dremel to remove the material from the recoil spring channel.

Boolit Master

I bought the full size and built it into a Glock 17 clone with compensator. I did it because I prefer the 1911 grip angle of the polymer80 frame, never cared for the glock grip angle. One of my sons loves his glocks, I've just never cared for them, but then again I've owned 1911's since he was in diapers...

I've got 4 that a local gunbuilder was wanting me to stipple. I failed miserably with my fiber, which I can use to stipple true glocks easy and well. My co2 laser will, but not the same rough texture. But these are the worst feeling lowers of any handgun I've held. True glocks are way better. At least for me. And yep, you can buy brand new glock for way less than putting one together with new parts.... I understand ar lowers a bit, have one myself, but p80? Nope.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I've got 4 that a local gunbuilder was wanting me to stipple. I failed miserably with my fiber, which I can use to stipple true glocks easy and well. My co2 laser will, but not the same rough texture. But these are the worst feeling lowers of any handgun I've held. True glocks are way better. At least for me. And yep, you can buy brand new glock for way less than putting one together with new parts.... I understand ar lowers a bit, have one myself, but p80? Nope.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I personally love mine. I find it way more comfortable than a Glock frame. But that comes down to personal preference.
    As for cost, I paid $450 for everything. Maybe that's more than a new Gen 3 or a police trade in. I'm ok with that.

Boolit Master
    Funny on this web site with all the crazy out there things people load, someone is still asking whats the point?

Yea factory glock is $500 at the store. Mine for that same $500 includes a second barrel in 9mm, upgraded trigger, night sights, no glock grip angle, and a rail you can actually mount a light to. And the added bonus of not having to do any paperwork at the gunshop.

Boolit Bub
    I really like the Poly80 frames, I’ve built several of them now, for me it comes down to the fact I can get all the features I want for way cheaper than sending my frame off to get reshaped and textured. I’ve actually converted three of my Glock shooting friends with the improved ergonomics.
    I’m really interested in the PF940CL, I really wish Glock would have gone that direction with the 19X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Buddy
    I'm debating whether or not to build a Polymer80 10mm or another compact but in 40. I already have an M&P in 40, so I wouldn't be adding another caliber if I went that route.