Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting consistent bottom pour

Boolit Master
    Until I got pour rate and mold temp figured out (each mold likes it own, imagine that) I would pour a little lead into an ingot mold before starting to pour in the casting mold. That made sure the nozzle was clear and up to temp. One of those cast iron ears of corn muffin pans works great on my RCBS or lyman pots. When one ear gets full or starts splashing lead, just slide it left or right for a fresh one.

Each mold will tell you what alloy temp and pour rate it likes. Don't be afraid to explore but listen to the mold. You can always remelt and recast mistakes and gain the hands on experience necessary.

Vendor Sponsor

for partially or fully plugged spouts I have found a drill bit in channel locks works great . insert and twist back and forth scrapes off all the junk
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

What works for me:

I use the mold guide.
    I use the adjustment screw to control the flow rate. I generally have to screw it in some after refilling the pot to compensate for the increased head pressure and as the lead level drops it has to be adjusted out periodically. Tools to make this adjustment remain beside the pot permanently.
    I pour with a continuous stream whether 125 grain 9mm or 250 gr. .45s.
    Filling the mold too slowly has its own problems so I adjust the flow to as fast as I can manage. Too fast and I make a mess.
    A consistent rhythm has to be developed that fills the cavities without pouring lead all over the mold.
    The pour/dump cycle has to be adjusted to keep the mold at the right temperature.
    I keep a trigger start propane torch by the pot in case I break the rhythm and the spout freezes. Running the pot hotter gives more forgiveness for spout freeze but I find that with a hotter pot I have to cast much slower. I don't have a PID so my target temp is 650-675. That may sound pretty broad to the PID users but my boolit weights are pretty consistent. Last night I weighed a random sample of about 15 from a batch of 600 RCBS 10mm-170s. Made from straight COWW the weight centered around 177.6 grains +/- 0.6 grains so I don't think that temperature swing is hurting me.

I can't even imagine trying to cast at 34 degrees F. Insulation makes this so much more fun, summer or winter!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Large paper clip helps clear jams and trash. A propane torch helps get nozzle flowing and can cast at a lower temp particularly in cold weather. Mold guides help consistency.

I use 2 molds and cast at full hot on my rcbs and get lightly frosted bullets.
    If I get shrinkage I slow down and turn the pot down a little.
    eventually you get to the sweet spot where they're coming out just right.
    during the summer I go for lower temps that produce the shinier bullets.
    Keep the allow clean and pour good size sprues.
    I start with a full pot that's fluxed quite a bit and when I hit around 1/3 full I'm done.
    I want to keep the pace steady without any stopping.

Banned
    I cut the end off a cheap bamboo spoon, drilled a hole in the end and forced in a piece of heavy wire and bent it. Later I drilled a hole through it and forced a ring shank paneling nail through it. I use the ring shank paneling nail exclusively.

you can see the bottom of the spoon handle is scared up, I use that to de-bur sticky mold cavities.

I can't imagine casting without a PID. Having a consistent temperature is priceless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12