RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Mystery solved.

Mystery solved.

A while back I posted about haw my favorite revolver was misbehaving. Took it to the range with 30 rounds loaded in new brass. Same shooter same day same boolits, powder, and primers. Shooting from 25 yards Weaver stance. New brass. Old brass. I think it was tired brass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Pretty gun. Nice shooting. Tired brass? How so?

Boolit Buddy
    I would guess the "tired" brass neck tension is varying a lot. Might try to aneal the case necks and see if there is an improvement.

The brass had been loaded with full loads a bunch. Some was starting to split. Inconsistent boolit pull.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    interesting, I had not thought it would be that dramatic! I will be making a point to do load workup on fresh brass. Thanks for posting this follow-up, learned something new,,,again!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Splitting is definitely tired!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the update and the pictures really tell the story.

Boolit Grand Master

If a case mouth splits when fired, you will almost certainly get a wide/wild shot. When the mouths start splitting, it signals time to retire that lot of brass...

Dale53

P.S. I have that same fine revolver. After reaming both cylinders, it has become a SUPERB revolver. However, your grips are considerably nicer than my issue grips. rdm
    Last edited by Dale53; 12-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.

That is a .44 magnum with American Holly grips that I got from a member here and did the final fitting and finishing myself. Much careful sanding got grips that exactly fit my hand. Many white tails have gone to the freezer from that gun and I have hit dish washer sized rocks with it at a lasered 313 yards. I ordered it in December 2000 and got it in 2001. Many many boolits through it. I had the same gun in .45 acp/.45 colt. Back to Ruger twice and then they kept it saying it could not be returned to me because it had issues. Since it was not a production gun I didn't get a replacement. They sold me a 4 5/8" .44 at cost but I would rather have at least had the Bisley parts. I would love a .45 convertible like it that shoots as well as it does.

Boolit Master

I'd be happy with the "bad" target at 25 yds offhand!