Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data PBcastco

Thread: Hornady Lock And Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser Review

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady Lock And Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser Review

My sweetie gave me a Hornady for Christmas (she is going home for a few weeks so we opened presents this morning) and I didnt see a review so thought I would post one up.

I set it up and gave it a few minutes to warm to room temp then tried it with 3 different powders.

Room temp is 72. I used my GemPro 250 to check the drop weights as it is very accurate and weighs to .001gr. Zeroed both before starting with 10g and 50g test weights and re-zeroed between powders.

Test powders: Unique, W231 and SR4759. Flake, ball and stick.

I set the Auto Charger to 10gr, auto dispense and normal speed for all 3. The directions say to change the speed for different type powders but I wanted a controlled test with the same settings for all before varying anything. I threw
    10 charges for each. Here is what I found.

Unique: 9.9/10.0/10.0/9.9/10.0/10.0/9.85/9.85/9.9/9.95
    +/- .15gr

W296: 10.05/10.05/9.85/10.0/9.9/9.95/9.95/10.05/9.95/9.95
    +/- .2gr. One overcharge warning with the actual measured weight at 10.05gr so it was within the +/- .1 gr.

SR 4759:
    9.9/10.10/10.05/10.05/10.10/10.5/10.0/9.95/10.15/10.0
    +/- .25gr

So, I think that playing with the settings for the different types of powder in regards to speed, trickle etc you would get within the advertised+/- .1gr which is plenty accurate for the majority of us. More accuracy for extreme bench rest or 1,000yrd would require setting the unit under the target weight the manual trickle to reach it which has been the advice on several forums.

For those of us using a C Press this is a great time saver combined with a powder through die. I am quite pleased with it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Master

I have an early one and like it.
    Go to Hornadys FAQ section and find the instructions on adjusting trickle speed and trickle start time.
    Like you say, by playing with these adjustments, you can get very good results with this dispenser....dale

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve had to take a small piece of a McDonald’s straw and put it in the dispenser nozzle and let it hang out a bit to keep from having it constantly overshoot on my rifle powders. Otherwise seems to do ok.