MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Try Powder Coating!

Boolit Man
    Thanks Folks !! I'll Definitely try the tub first I was just wondering because I have an extra tumbler, I Just sent Smoke a message when he gets back to me we'll go from there!!

Boolit Mold
    I just powder coated my first batch ever yesterday. Carolina Blue powder from smokes. Half of them came out beautiful.....or more correctly all of them came out beautiful but half of them were stuck to the aluminum foil. Better half had two boxes in drawer. ONE of them said non stick and only had enough for one cookie sheet. The other roll I had the dull side up but boolitz did not care and stuck anyway. NON-stick aluminum foil from now on.

Boolit Man
    Thanks Spiffy, I'll Try not to do that!!

Boolit Master

Yah, non stick foil is awesome. Just watch for the nonstick side up label(kinda hard to see).

Or baker's parchment paper. Humidity is a problem but cold temps usually decrease it and static increases. Do NOT use too much powder, start with 1/2 teaspoon /5# first. add as desired. Works best with a bowl bottom container vs the straight side butter type.
    If banger didn't invent shake & bake, he perfected it.
    Last edited by popper; 12-18-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    some tips if I can from my experience. if your shake tumbling, don't leave the same powder in using it too many times because the more fine dusty powder will stick and leave behind larger and contaminated powder. just sift the powder off the bb's and clean the bb's and container with paper towel, then you can start fresh with another spoon of powder.

I preheat the bullets first to warm to the touch but less than melting the container temps.

I never really felt like I needed special foil, bullets stood up on the shiny side of heavy duty seem to come off fine when you put you finger on the foil by the base and tip it off.

i use small scissors to grab each bullet in a grove then tap the scissors on the edge to knock off piles then stand it on the foil. some people do more mass production method where they dump the container on a sifter and bake the whole thing. im uncertain how this gives good looking results from how fragile the powder is on the bullets, even going one at a time i reshake some cause they touched another boolit or something and knocked a spot off.

aslong as you got the right kind of plastic container, black airsoft bb's, decent powder like they were saying "i use powder by the pound" you should be fine coating them. getting them from in the container to on the foil powder intact is kinda hard. i grab whatever ones are sideways and sitting on the top then reshake and repeat cause you cant move stuff around in there without knocking powder off. then of course just bake at 400 for 20 mins in something that's not in the house or for food and your good to go.

Boolit Buddy
    What Banger said! In addition it is also the cheapest method and will let you see if PCing is for you which if you shoot much it will be! I use same method for pistol and higher velocity rifle and have not seen a reason to change. There is a lot of satisfaction of doing well with something you personally put together.

Boolit Man
    Thank You !! I Appreciate all The Replies and will follow This good advice !!! That's Why I Ask Here This Site has Never let me down when I have a Question!! Great People Here!!!

Attachment 232344
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    Shake an Bake. #5 container with black air soft BBS. 3 min shake an tumble, smokes powder, simple as can be! IMOP
    What Eddie17 said. It is really easy, especially when the humidity is low. The hard part is fetching them out of the container without knocking off powder. I use a pair of small, skinny needle nose pliers. You're really going to have to look long and hard to beat Smokes powder. Here is my shake and bake boolit in my favorite, Carolina Blue.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

If you decide to preheat, don't get them too hot. Been there-done that and it made a wad of goo that is almost non salvagableable by none other than remelting.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Get some oven liner. Looks like a thin finely woven cloth seems to last forever good for up to about 650’F mine gone through at least 150 batches with no issues.

Still trying to swipe wife's Yoshi copper cooking cloth. She's cooked steaks on the grill, cookies in the oven, still in great shape.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    More Great Advice !! Thank You Much! My Wife Won't part with anything either Popper So I Understand!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have followed along here as I am also very interested, where can I find the smokes pc you are all using? would I be able to get it in Canada?
    thanks folks

Boolit Grand Master
    For pistol bullets, I would certainly try a method that did not require standing up each bullet. I doubt perfect coverage is necessary unless the bullets will be used for Bullseye or long range shooting. But then most of my pistol bullets are used at less than 25 yards so ultimate accuracy is moot.

I do not PC, but offer the above to reduce the most tedious aspect of PC’ing. Sometimes good enough is good enough. It is at least worth a try even if it comes from the idiots on YouTube.

BTW, edited to add that I do not PC because almost all my shooting is outdoors and reducing smoke has little value for me. PC addresses that problem if you shoot indoors. Also, PC is going to reduce leading with high pressure rounds like the 9mm. Great way to lube for many users.
    Don Verna

https://www.mp-molds.com/tips-tricks...mble-dt-method
    This
    I personally still stand all my bullets on their bases. Why?
    I tried “bake in a pile, drop into cold water” method for my 9mm, I separated few that stuck together- but those exactly, with their imperfections on ogive, gave me failure to feed and stuck cartridge in chamber, very unpleasant thing. FTF also with this method with bolt action 300blk boolet, because there was a imperfection on ogive that can’t be fixed with sizer.

Probably bake in a pile is good for revolver cartridges.

Use Smoke’s powders for DT. Some are super easy (Carolina blue, Yellow Green, clear, Traffic purple) no vibratory tumbler, no washing in acetone, no preheating- just 30 sec shaking, just follow instructions. Humidity is an issue

Boolit Buddy

Silicone baking sheets are ideal for non stick. Have used three of them on several thousand powdered coated boolits and they do not stick. Not expensive.

Vendor Sponsor

Gamsek that pic is before baking correct ?
    do you have the same pic after baking ?
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Going to Try Powder Coating!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Gamsek that pic is before baking correct ?
    do you have the same pic after baking ?
    Yes, before

After baking, one photo still in tub after 30sec. Yellow Green and Traffic purple are yours, still working splendidly after 2years.
    Last edited by Gamsek; 12-28-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Banned
    Cold not so much as humidity. pre-warm your boolits on top of your convection oven, if they get to hot to handle bare handed put a spacer between the oven and bake screen. I have no problems with pc'd boolits staying stuck to my bake screens.
    The main thing is you must make sure your oven is reaching 400 degrees use an accurate kitchen oven thermometer and adjust the oven's temperature setting accordingly..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast