Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Try Powder Coating!

Boolit Man

Going to Try Powder Coating!

My next venture is to try powder coating! I've watched the you tube video's read Posts here and am going to try it! The Question I have is I some how ended up with an extra vibrator tumbler so I'm going to dedicate it to pc . What is a good starting point time wise for letting the Boolits in the pc to get a good coating I realize I'll have to do some experimenting but I need a starting point please!! Thank You In Advance!!

Boolit Man
    I'm also open to any and all Suggestions because I have absolutely no experience with pc!!

I prefer the spray gun method as I get a smoother coat on my cast boolits. I have never tried a tumbler so I cant help you there, however, using a whip cream container with black air soft bb's has worked for me in the past but tended to leave a rougher surface for me. It should not affect accuracy, but I like the smooth surface of spraying. perhaps I used a tad too muck powder in my tumbling method. It does not take much powder if you go that method.

Good luck, maybe someone will chime in with their experiences using a vibratory tumbler.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Fortunecookie45lc has a really good set of videos using a tumbler for PC. I just started and using a Tupperware 5 container worked very well for me. If I had a dry tumbler then I might try it but not going to spend the money for the amount of powder coating I do so unless I find a really good deal on one.

Shake and bake works fine.

Best advise I can give is to go to u-tube and watch a couple of different channels to see how they are doing it. Elvis ammo is one he has multiple videos on it. Fortune cookie 45 is a another good channel.

Try the different methods and see witch one works best for you.

If you are starting with Harbor Freight powder's (Red works the best from HF) just know that there are other powders that work a lot better.

Boolit Master
    I was gifted an old and I mean old Lyman vibrator that the bearings were worn out. Replaced them cost about 5.00, started powder coating with Harbor Frt. red, 20 min. Not good coat, so went longer. Has a lot to do with humidity. Ordered better powder and now run about 10-15 mins and have had good results. You will just have to jump in and experiment, really fun to do. Good luck.

Boolit Man
    Thank You!! I have watched as many you tube video's that I could find and they helped greatly was hoping to get more advice here from others with experience because this site has never let me down lots of great folks here!!

Boolit Man
    Thanks Hossfly That's what I'm looking For!! I think from reading and watching the Videos I'm Gonna skip the harbor freight stuff!!

Boolit Master
    I know the Smoke powder is highly rated here but I’ve been using Eastwood powder since I began powder coating and it has really worked well for me.

Boolit Man
    Thank You Carrier!!

Boolit Man
    I have another question I live in Northern Pennsylvania, will the cold Temps make a difference because My Shop is hard to heat?

Boolit Master
    I've never tried a tumbler. It seems like over kill to me. Plain old shake and bake works just fine. I've never had problems with cold. It's humidity that can't make it a problem for the powder to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog1520 View Post
    I have another question I live in Northern Pennsylvania, will the cold Temps make a difference because My Shop is hard to heat?
    Can't help you with the cold but would think the humidity would be the biggest factor. You need static to get the powder the cling. What little I have been up north, it seems the winter is more staticy.

Stays warm ( most of the time) and wet in Florida

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog1520 View Post
    I'm in Minnesota. Dry tumbled some just a few days ago, in my unheated garage. Wasn't super cold, but below freezing.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Some Eastwood powder colors work great and some not so good. I have used both. The advantage of using Smoke's powders is that they have been tested on boolits to make sure they work.

Boolit Buddy
    Shake an Bake. #5 container with black air soft BBS. 3 min shake an tumble, smokes powder, simple as can be! IMOP

Boolit Man
    Wonderful Advice, Thank You Much!! I definitely can use it All!!

Boolit Buddy
    Cold is not a problem with shake and bake method. Surface finish is strongly effected by how fine the powder has been ground. Smokes are really fine so they usually give a very smooth finish as long as excess t
    Is tapped off on the side of the tube.

Boolit Master

I recommend skipping the vibratory cleaner. Just grab a small or medium round Snap Lock container and a small handful of black airsoft BBs. I follow Smoke4320s method almost to the letter. Terrific results.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My 1st suggestion is............FORGET THE VIBRATOR TUMBLER!!!!!! It is not needed and will scuff off Pb in the process and darken your lighter PC coats. Just use the methods we developed on here over the past 5-6 years. Shake and bake in a #5 container. Only takes 30-60 seconds (depending on temp and humidity) for a batch!

I never watch YouTube for ideas. Any idiot with a camera and computer can post stuff on there! Company-sponsored videos - mabe OK - but not some clown with an iPhone.

Stick with what is proven to work for many thousands of people on here. Shake-n-bake (ASBBDT).

banger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast