RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of powder, what to do? Need advice.

Boolit Grand Master

If it was still in her possession then I would have gifted it to her. Now that it is in yours you can't prove anything so now what to do.

Be honest and take the emotion out of it. Do you really think she is unhinged and vindictive enough to knowingly mix powder to cause you injury or death? If so, dump it and move on. If your not sure or don't think so, inspect it carefully then if it looks good try some known minimum loads and see what happens.

I have had some crazy ex's but none that I think would try and kill me in an explosion although one did loosen lug nuts causing a wheel to fall off.

A few pounds of powder is not much in the grand scheme of things. Ease your mind by throwing it out and move on is what I'd do.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    If you haven't lawyered up yet do so. When dividing assets you shouldn't have to take something the other person doesn't want. As for the powder if you let her have it get a liability release. The lawyer should be able to write something up. You can always state that due to unknown storage conditions the powder may no longer be safe to use and as such has no value to you.

I do have a lawyer retained.
    To take the emotion out of things, I have done that a long time ago. I didn't think my wife would ever do the things she had done that lead me to make the decision to leave. On that note, I do not leave anything out of the realm of possibility anymore.

Why didn't I go to my lawyer for advice on this situation? My lawyer doesn't know anything about handloading and trying to explain why I believed I should dispose of it was futile.
    So I figured a long list of others that draw the same conclusion would have been more effective. But avoiding the whole thing is a much better plan.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    After a visual inspection, load a few light loads out of each container in a cartridge appropriate for that powder. If they chronograph in the range of velocities you would expect for that load, you might be able to call it good. If you have chronograph data for previous loads with that powder, so much the better.

Boolit Grand Master

I would not use it.

Boolit Master
    If you want to keep it for future use, I would set it aside and buy new powder one type at a time.

Take you new powder and do a careful comparison to the "old powder" of the same label. Set up your powder measure for a large charge of the "new" batch powder then run your "old batch" through. Look carefully at the grains. If it looks ok, consider using it. Start low the the old stuff and use it in a "heavy duty" gun to the extent possible.

Even if she wanted to mess with you, mixing powders without it being detectable would take quite a bit of gall, guts & smarts. And since she knows you have a lawyer, there would be a real risk for her if you do find evidence of malicious tampering.

Boolit Buddy

I would have some obvious samples analysed for adulterated components. You would have to get someone else to take them, but could provide proof positive of intent to cause harm.

Or you have fertilizer
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You are such a lucky guy! I once went through a bad divorce and what you are talking about is nothing. Be happy you’re rid of her. Throw the powder away and move on.

Boolit Master
    I would tell your lawyer that you believe that the powder is spoiled and that you place $0 value on it and that you can either dispose of it or she can have it. No drama.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I would tell your lawyer that you believe that the powder is spoiled and that you place $0 value on it and that you can either dispose of it or she can have it. No drama.
    This.

Believe me, during the course of what sounds like a very messy divorce, the money spent on this powder will be a pittance. This is not the hill to die on.

Put a value of zero on it, and move on. You've already got more in legal fees than the price of replacement powder, just trying to explain to the attorney about powder.

Forget about the powder. You've got worse coming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    I had a post that I deleted a few minutes after making it because I realized it probably came off a bit offensive, which is not my goal. If you read that post, I alologize.
    I should add that on the list of assets, she has included items that cost $4, as well as items that are broken. So that's what I am dealing with.

I just realized I sounded like an *** again.
    I know I need to throw it away, because it's not worth the risk. I am not the one that needs to be convinced, it is all the other parties involved in my case, the ones that don't have a clue about handloading. They are who I need arguments directed towards. Because if we looked at this in a different situation, say, a set of jewel encrusted silverware... a lawyer would rip you apart for throwing away something that still had value. Or at least I would expect that.

So it's 500 to 600 dollars that you "have" but have thrown away, and then you have to replace it with another 500 to 600 dollars out of pocket.
    So To be "square" actually costs you double unless you can convince people that probably dont understand the risks that your actions are justified.

The way I see it, the mere possession of it by a spouse that wishes me harm and I'll, destroyed it. And that is against the law, to destroy property after the date of seperation.
    It seems some missed what is happening ( or I am missing something)... The quote above is post#7 in the topic, made by the OP of the topic saying that there has been a value placed on the powder by the OTHER party in the dispute.

The way I understand it is that the OP HAS put a value of Zero on it, but the other party thinks there IS some value to it.
    (About $5-600.00 if I am not mistaken, reading what is bolded above in the quote of post #7.)

So it will still come down to figuring out how to either devalue the powder(s) then dispose of it, or use it as leverage against the settlement value since the other party thinks there IS a value to it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Do any of those powders happen to still have original seals? They should be ok if you want to keep them.

Moderator Emeritus

I would act like I wanted to keep it until they put a value on it. Once it has a value give it to her for that. Divorce is expensive enough, don't look to save money here.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Yep, she can have it if she thinks it has value. Either to her or for her to sell. I'd place value at zero as it is fertilizer......

Banned
    There are very precise measurements and good pictures here:
    http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    There are very precise measurements and good pictures here:
    http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php
    That's a good one. I've used that site before when there's any doubt about a powder. There are ways to tell, and most of them have been detailed already. From a practical perspective, I think that using these various techniques you could come to a confident conclusion as to whether it had been tampered with or not.

That said, I agree that salvaging the powder is absolutely the least of your worries. I think that at this point you should absolutely not destroy it, but put in storage until the whole messy deal is concluded. Not because you might be able to salvage it, but only because if you dispose of it, it could reflect poorly on you if you have to try to explain why to someone who has no clue about reloading.

When it comes up, just say that if she thinks it has value, she's welcome to have it. I know I'm not the first to say that, but I'll agree that it sounds like a good idea to me.

Just throw it away.

Well 35# is not a ton so I would just let it go but that is me.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    If she did mess with it and it goes to someone else, then they unknowingly use it? Not good.

Boolit Mold

How much is the replacement value in the total cost big picture of this divorce? That may be the safest banswer. YMMV
    One wonders how all this feverish and frantic regulation of the law-abiding will somehow protect society from the depredations of the lawless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast