WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of powder, what to do? Need advice.

Lots of powder, what to do? Need advice.

Let me start this thread off by saying I know exactly what I should do with this powder. However I recognize that my "opinion" on this powder is likely to come under heavy scrutiny during a division of assets. So I am looking to get a consensus of the general population of people that have an accurate understanding of the risks and safety precautions of handloading. Rather than rely on some individuals that may or may not understand to take my word on the matter.

Background: I have around 35 pounds of various powders that were trapped in my house with my ex-wife-to-be, while I was basically prevented from entering and retrieving possessions because of the E.P.O. i had on her. (I had the E.P.O. withdrawn about 6 weeks later, I think... )
    I was unable to get the powder and other loading supplies and equipment for 4 to 6 weeks or so, I can't remember exactly. Suffice to say, she had plenty of time to mix and swap as much as she wanted.
    She has enough knowledge of reloading to know that mixing powders around and swapping containers would be extremely dangerous, but not much more than that. (She has this knowledge because the first time I tried to leave her I took all my powder and primers before anything else, and at some point while we tried to work things out she asked and I told her why.)

Given this situation what would you do with the powder? Pour it out? Keep it and use it?
    If you keep and use it, there needs to be a dollar value placed on it, So how would you value the powder that has been in possession of someone that has harmed you and you had to have an E.P.O. on?

If it is useful information, I have the powder still, but have not used any of it since I gained possession of it. For obvious reasons.
    I also have a very large quantity of primers, but it is significantly easier to identify primers through a visual inspection.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Look at it, carefully.

Does each powder look like it should look?

If in doubt use for fertilizer. Sucks I know but sucks less than losing body parts, or life, or endangering someone else.

There's somewhere around 20 different powders, all but two are pistol powders. So if they don't have markers in them like blue dot does, they look pretty similar. And February was the last time I got to load, so my memory isn't exactly perfect on what they should look like. I've got a lot of titegroup, some h110 and superformance. If I remember right, those three look pretty similar but obviously are all over the place for use.

Thanks for the input, I should have included that originally.

Boolit Master

35 pounds is not really lots of powder, you already know what you need to do with it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Lots of powder, what to do? Need advice.

sounds like fertilizer to me. Consider the cost of one "accident", not to mention the anxiety of being in doubt.

I think this is a great opportunity to simplify your powders to have only new, fresh powder that works the best. Having 20 types of powder on hand...mostly one pound or so each would not appeal to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Banned

I would have gifted it to her. Taken whatever else was useful. Agree with notion that 35 pounds of powder is no big deal. Four 8 pound jugs and you are square.

I had a post that I deleted a few minutes after making it because I realized it probably came off a bit offensive, which is not my goal. If you read that post, I alologize.
    I should add that on the list of assets, she has included items that cost $4, as well as items that are broken. So that's what I am dealing with.

I just realized I sounded like an *** again.
    I know I need to throw it away, because it's not worth the risk. I am not the one that needs to be convinced, it is all the other parties involved in my case, the ones that don't have a clue about handloading. They are who I need arguments directed towards. Because if we looked at this in a different situation, say, a set of jewel encrusted silverware... a lawyer would rip you apart for throwing away something that still had value. Or at least I would expect that.

So it's 500 to 600 dollars that you "have" but have thrown away, and then you have to replace it with another 500 to 600 dollars out of pocket.
    So To be "square" actually costs you double unless you can convince people that probably dont understand the risks that your actions are justified.

The way I see it, the mere possession of it by a spouse that wishes me harm and I'll, destroyed it. And that is against the law, to destroy property after the date of seperation.
    Last edited by BrutalAB; 12-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalAB View Post
    I had a post that I deleted a few minutes after making it because I realized it probably came off a bit offensive, which is not my goal. If you read that post, I alologize.
    I should add that on the list of assets, she has included items that cost $4, as well as items that are broken. So that's what I am dealing with.

To really explain the predicament I am in:
    Imagine that you have a freezer full of seasoned meat... and you are prevented from entering your house for a month. You finally get in the house and it looks like the meat was left in the freezer. And since it was seasoned, you can't really tell by smell if it has gone bad... (imagine here please) the wife and her lawyer say she left it in the freezer the whole time and you have to explain why you threw it away because that's another 500 to 600 dollars you "have" in assets.

The way I see it, the mere possession of it by a spouse that wishes me harm and I'll, destroyed it. And that is against the law, to destroy property after the date of seperation.
    I, myself would tend to think of it as more of a liability than an asset. The whole matter is really twisted. If called on to "explain" why you destroyed it - couldn't you just do that. Be that as it may - if I were in your predicament, and I thought for one minute that she had the intent to do me harm by mixing the gunpowder to make it dangerous to use as intended I wouldn't use it. Your soon to be ex is a criminal and obviously mentally ill.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    If they are including it in your assets, then perhaps just give it to her as part of the settlement since they are putting a value on it, & let her deal with the powder & any results from her possible tampering.

{ If they claim it isn't worth what you are offering as part of the deal after you offer it as part of the valued settlement, even though THEY placed a value on it, then you can use that against them to say that then it doesn't matter what value they had placed on it if they now say it isn't worth anything when it comes to using it as a part of your settlement, and then you can do with it as you like and destroy it or throw it in the garden...}

IF they keep it... then it takes YOU off the hook for anything if there has been tampering & satisfies their attempt to place a value on the powder. Particularly if they sell it as good when it is not & then She takes the fall for the bad doings, not you.

It is no different than her taking any other assets you have anyway.

Just trying to help. Really. The peace of mind to get it over with & not be your concern anymore with it, is likely worth more than the $$ value of the possibly tampered with powder. Let her have it & forget about it & move on.

G'Luck! with whatever you decide!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Thank you, I hadn't really considered just giving it to her, because I didn't know how a refusal would be handled. I kinda like that line of thinking and believe that will be the simplest course of action. I came here looking for something I could print out and show that I am in the majority of what people would do, and find I won't even need it.

Thank you all!

Boolit Grand Master

I think I would consult my lawyer. If she is vindictive enough to actually mix the powders, maybe the lawyer can give you legal advise concerning the ruining of your assets... (kinda like returning your classic '61 Midget with 4 flats and something in the gas tank that ain't gas).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    But now it's in your possession and she can claim you did something to it. You may just be over a barrel.

I'll second talking about it with your lawyer. Perhaps it can then be destroyed or declared to be worthless and excluded from the assets to be divided.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Wow was the breakup that Bad that you think that she would do that to harm or even try and kill you by mixing your powders up
    If you think that she did well then I would call it a loss hope you have better luck with the next one
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Claim it on insurance.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a couple of my sisters. I would visually inspect. Those that look like they should, if possible. Otherwise give it all to her. Expensive,yes, but it won't kill you. Unless you live in the country and need a stump moved or similar. good luck with that..

Boolit Master
    Wow I’m with Luckydawg as well. I can’t imagine this happening with my wife of 40 years but if you have any doubts that your ex would do something like this then you are the only one that can answer your question.

Boolit Grand Master

While powders may look close different powders have different densities. You might be able to make a larger dipper of a given size. For example a 3/4" tube 1"long with a end soldered in and a handle. throw and weigh 20 charges of the suspect powder. then replace it in the original container. Do the same with a known container of the same powder. A lot of time and expense of buying a lb more of each powder. The 2 20 charge averages should be very close to the same if its the same powder. By using the large dipper and large sampling differences in density is magnified. This is the best way I can think of.

Boolit Master
    Powders look similar but usually not identical. It shouldn't be to hard to determine if 2 have been mixed. Dump a bunch out onto a paper plate and look at it closely to see if all the kernels are identical. If so it's probably not mixed.

If she has emptied containers and swaped powders that would be more difficult to detect, but you could buy a new pound and verify the old stuff matches the new stuff. If you were going to replace the powders any ways you won't be out anything by buying the new pounds.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Chunk it in the garden for fertilizer!!!! You know what to do. Not worth hurting yourself over.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    I posted earlier with the thinking that you have already retained an attorney in regard to this. If you have not retained an attorney, so be it, my suggestion remains the same. Use the powder as some "leverage" by attempting to offer it as part of the settlement & if they refuse it, then they are basically saying has no value to them & thus is not worth a doggone thing since you can say the same, based on your not knowing if it is still good powder or not, & thus they should not care if it is destroyed or whatever. It should take its value, & its' use or disposal off the table.

I would also offer to tell you that their valuation on how much it is worth can be contested as well. I did not go into this before, but I will try to explain what I mean now.

For example purposes I am going to generalize & not use actual specifics since I do not know all about the amounts & different types of powder you are talking about, but if you have 35 pounds of powder and all the powder was in 1 pound containers with an approximate cost of $20 each when bought NEW you would have a total value at purchase of $700.00.

If/since some of the powder has now been opened it is no longer considered, "New", and will likely be, by any potential buyer as in a "Used" ( "used" by being opened, even if the amount is as was when new) condition. So that will begin to limit the amount of value on the powder & it would not sell easily at close to "new" price, so then it becomes a product at a lower price than "new".

Coming up with a price for "used" powders is then subject to what you or anyone else can sell it for if the owner( you or her) is not going to use it. The REAL VALUE of the 35# of powder is only just what you can get someone to pay you or her for it. So, if someone is only willing to offer you only $35 for the whole lot, then that $35 is the "real value" of the powder. If someone will offer you $350 for the whole lot, then that would be the "real value". So it will all depend on what someone is willing to pay for the powder to get its actual "real value", and anything else is pure conjecture.

Lastly, there is the time & efforts it takes to sell it. If you make $25 an hour( or whatever price yo put on your time but I am using $25/hr..) & it takes you an hour to type up an ad to place on Craigs list & then you sell it for $35, then your hour of $25 taken out of the $35 for the powder ends up giving it a "real value" of $10. If you place an ad in the paper and it sells for $35 but you paid $50 for the ad, then the powder has a negative "real value" & actually cost you to get rid of it. You can see where I am going with this ( called, "overhead" in business in case someone doesn't know) & thus it is better to claim that it has no value to you any longer & that if they have a value on it, then they can have it for that value they claim it is worth on Their side of the settlement.

When they claim it has value, but you are not willing to use it, so it has Zero value to You unless They want it & in reality it is not sold yet, so it has Zero "real value" as far as you are concerned, then if they wish to give it a value of anything more than Zero, then you should be able to give it to her as part of your settlement with her at THEIR valuation & she can consider it as worth the value they placed on it, and She can try to sell it for the value They claimed it was worth, while you know the "real value" is not all what they said it would be, but only what they can get for it minus their time & effort to sell it(their "overhead").

Once again, G'Luck! & I hope it all works out for the best.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast