RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy with a Great Find Marlin 1894 CSBL 357 Mag

New Guy with a Great Find Marlin 1894 CSBL 357 Mag

Guy's/Gal's
    First Post, I just found this site.

I am a big lever gun guy, just Love my Levers and Revolvers. I only have one semiauto (Marlin 60) and one bolt action rifle (Remington 540X 1972 made) the rest are lever guns. No semiauto pistols. I have a
    1. 1955 Marlin 39A Mountie
    2. 1972 Winchester 9422
    3. 1980 and a 2018 Browning BL-22's
    4. 2018 Winchester 1892 44 Mag
    5. 2018 Marlin 1894 CSBL
    6. Ruger Single Six Hunter
    7. S&W 617 6" barrel 10 shot
    8. Ruger Redhawk in the Hunter version 44 Mag
    plus my carry guns that I wont bother to list

I shoot 22's daily, that is my real love I have my own range and it is a 25 yard range that I have 13 steel plates on. My plates range from 2" to 12" and have a bear and a Coyote and a few of the plates are the same size.

So that is kind of my story to let you guy's know a little bit about me. Now to my excitement for my new rifle.

I went to my LGS today (12-15-2018) to nose and really just say Hi (I do a lot of business with this LGS and the owner is a friend more than my addiction supplier ). Looked around and really did not see anything that pulled my trigger. Started to leave and thought that I would look at the Henry rack behind the counter and see if they had the Pump action 22 rifle. I did not even look for that rifle, while scanning I saw a Marlin 1894 SCBL. My eyes lit right up. Asked if it was a 45/70, Owner of the LGS said no it is a 357 Mag. He also stated that he got it in yesterday and just has not really had the time to set it where it's suppose to go. He said he could let me have it for $850. I thought that was pretty steep but you absolutely never see these in my neck of the woods. I bought it right on the spot. I have always wanted this rifle and just tickled to pay what he wanted. No Arguments. Took her to the range, sighted in for 25 yards right out of the box. Love the rifle and after done shooting it looked at the crown and it has a Beautiful Star pattern from shooting.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 12-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master

That’s a looker ! Price might have been a little steep but if it’s what you wanted and it’s not common in your neck of the woods than you should be very happy with it. Seems to me that compact rifle sized n that caliber would be an great woods roaming rifle and could be made even better with an accompanying wheel gun

Glad you found the object of your quest. Life is short you did good to snag it. Nice lube star.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Welcome to the forum, and that's a great Christmas present for yourself.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Sooooooo whatcha gunna put on that long picanni rail thingy???
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I ain't gonna hold it against you for being a 44 type of guy! I prefer 45 colt. Thats why they make different ones.

Think I could enjoy 357 as well.

Yep, seems a bit high, but don't recall them ever being given away. It'll be passing thought shortly.

Enjoy that new rifle and I hope you enjoy the company of like minded captives.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Welcome ! I love my 17 leverguns too !

Thanks for all the comments and welcomes guy's. I am looking to get a TALO GP100 to go along with it. As far as the scope rail, I am 56 right now and a diabetic so eye sight may go one of these day's. A scope might be needed in the future. But I always put Williams or Skinner peeps on my rifles anyway and this XS seems to fit the bill nicely.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments and welcomes guy's. I am looking to get a TALO GP100 to go along with it. As far as the scope rail, I am 56 right now and a diabetic so eye sight may go one of these day's. A scope might be needed in the future. But I always put Williams or Skinner peeps on my rifles anyway and this XS seems to fit the bill nicely.
    Nice Marlin..Congrats.

At 40 my eyes went, all rifles wear scopes now. Feel blessed, I'm 56 and can read my watch without glasses.

Boolit Grand Master

I really love the modern lever look of the CSBL. Let us know how she shoots.!

Welcome to the forum, jstanfield103, a good place to be. Nice looking rifle. I really like your private range -- well set up for plinking.

Boolit Master
    About three weeks ago, my seach for a 94cs in 357 ended. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites in the safe. I also have a GP100 to accompany the ol' girl. Mine will group 2 inches at 100 yards. Good enough for the girls I go out with. Congratulations!

Thanks again for all the welcomes and comments. It shoots just fine. I am not interested in shooting over 25 yards at this time but the sights did not need any adjusting for my 25 yard range. Function, I have not had one problem as of yet. Not a lot of rounds through it as of yet though. I bought a brand new 1892 Winchester short in 44 Mag about two months ago. Really like that rifle, just sweet shooter, but I think, I like this rifle better as far as style and function. I like the length of pull on the Winchester better but everything else I really like on this baby. Wish it was in 44 Mag though instead of the 357 Mag. But I will buy me a GP100 TALO at the end of February to go with it and a set of dies.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master

I'll add my welcome also. From what I see on your initial post, there is not going to be any need to give you any training as you already seem to have a good start. You will greatly enjoy the camaraderie here from like minded folks.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Thanks ST
    It looks like this site has some people that will at least post. The Welcomes are very nice and looking forward to all the reading and comments on posts. I read several gun sights (28 total) at least two times a day. Mostly Rimfire sights, but Some of the sights no one will comment and no one ever posts on them. They are really dead sights (Winchester sights are one of the worst). But this sight seems to have a good response so far.
    Thanks
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m on a few other sites but gravitate back to here. Good group of folks.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’m on a few other sites but gravitate back to here. Good group of folks.
    Indeed. Not so many of the "I'm right, you all are wrong" types and you have to be pretty darn smart already not to learn something here. Welcome aboard!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thank you guy's for the welcome.
    Really looking forward for everyone to get to know me.
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Master
    Welcome aboard Sir.That is one sweet rifle.You will find a great bunch of folks here.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    You da man, JStanfield! Although, if you try a Browning Hi-Power you may suddenly decide you want a bottom feeder or two.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast