WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 S&W case from 9mm parabellum

Banned

38 S&W case from 9mm parabellum

I had a crazy idea to put rims on 9MM cases so I could load them for my old solid frame S&W revolver.
    The 9mm cases fit in the chamber very nicely so I figured that if a rim could somehow be attached, the cases would be good to go. (I know I can buy cases but I am cheap and like a challenge)
    So I googled up adding rims to rimless cases and to my utter surprise I found that it can be done...
    This is pure genius...
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/44-...d_douglas.html

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Why not trim 38SPL and be done with it?
    The other route seems to like you want to bend over a dollar to pick up a dime.

17 nut hit the nail on the head. Yep, 38 special trimmed will work fine. You may also know that a 9mm Federal rimmed cartridge was marketed for a short while BUT it fit into the chambers of some weak 38 S&W top breaks and was quickly discontinued.

If your patient, you will find correct 38 S&W stamped amounts of brass and cartridges over time at gun shows and other places like I did, now I have more than enough. Good luck

Boolit Master
    Starline has 38S&W in stock, 500 for $90.00.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Attachment 232167<<<For this.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold

Good info on forgotten weapons site about this caliber. https://www.forgottenweapons.com/38-sw-the-other-38/
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space

If you don't cast your own load 148 HBWC with 2.5 grains of Bullseye seated to 1.20" overall cartridge length. The hollow base expands to fill the larger grooves and ballistics are like a .38 Special wadcutter. Will shoot to the fixed sights of the old guns and more effective than factory LRN.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Don’t they make a rimed 9x19 case

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just be diligent about looking for brass, It’s out there for sure. I looked for a while, gave up, then found dies brass and a few loaded rounds, all in one stop!! Good luck to ya.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

.38 S&W brass is very common on auction sites like GunBroker.

Don't be afraid to use the copper cases used for .38 S&W Blanks and industrial power loads.

While these have large flash holes, .38 S&W factory loads don't exceed about 16,000 psi and standard pressure loads being mild, there are no issues in using the copper, large flash hole cases for this cartridge.

A charge of 2.5 grains of Bullseye with the Accurate 36-155D bullet is an accurate and efficient load for solid-frame .38 S&W revolvers, such as the Colt Police Positive and WW2 S&W ictory models. Typical 4" barrel revolver velocity is about 720 fps, which is just a wee bit warmer than factory 146-grainers, which run 650-680 fps.

Pressure is 16,600 psi (Oehler M43). Thanks to Larry Gibson for the pressure test data.

Attachment 232175Attachment 232176Attachment 232177
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-16-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have been reloading for a 38 S&W for years and all of my older pistols for this cartridge require projectiles sized to 0.363" or 0.364" to shoot with any accuracy. And I agree with all the others that Starline 38 S&W brass makes the best loaded ammo for these old pistols. This proposal sounds like a person wanting to create 30-06 ammo from 300 H&H MAG just for the exercise. Most of the time its just more efficient when loading for a particular cartridge to just buy the easily available components like brass, primers, powders and projectile molds to have a reasonable chance of making something work.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the article in G&A, time to revisit some projects with a different approach. bt

Boolit Master
    i use a pipe cutter to quickly cut just short of correct length then trim

Boolit Buddy
    Any chance moon clips are available?

Best is to find the right brass though. Can powder coat regular 38 bullets to bump up the diameter if required. Hollow base slugs can work but can be a little finicky to get working properly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    Any chance moon clips are available?

Best is to find the right brass though. Can powder coat regular 38 bullets to bump up the diameter if required. Hollow base slugs can work but can be a little finicky to get working properly.
    I have considered moon clips. After just now "going through" the gun, I see that indeed. moon clips would seem to have enough room without modding the cylinder. I "may" give them a try at some point.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for posting the link
    A very useful method for making up some of the odd ones that seem to surface once in a while and need to be shot.
    ..and some of us just like tinkering with stuff like this. It's interesting

Boolit Master
    Why not buy new Star-Line 38 S&W brass? It is not expensive and will be better than anything you can make at home.

Say, Outpost75.......do you have any proven loads for the .38-200? (which for the peanut gallery is the British .38 S&W case with a heavy bullet, meant for the wartime Webley revolver.) I'm using 1.6 of Bullseye, for a somewhat anemic 600 fps. Bullet from an NOE mould, cast almost dead soft, about 40:1.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    it can be done, but only in one easily done way.

Youll need to take shim stock of the correct thickness, make doughnuts of the right outside and indise diameter, then cut a slot in one side so a 9mm case can slide in, then youll have to counter bore the doughnut ring on one side so it fits into the extractor groove and keeps the rim at the right distance from the cylinder face.

Conversely you can make TWO doughnuts, a thin one on the bottom that will be the right thickness and inner diameter to fit the 9mm extractor groove.

But seriously, no point. It would be better time spent finding a "super low cost" revolver in 38 special, and cutting down a rifle case like a 30-30 to have the right length and shape, and rim diameter and loading that up

Banned
    I find that people ridicule ideas out of envy. I would rather have crazy ideas than ridicule those who do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast