Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gettign rifles to meet expectations

Boolit Grand Master

You guys are missing the current versitility in guns. My 25 Krag AI Encore barrel is a perfect example. For the price of a barrel I have a wildcat.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I have a M39 Moisin Nagant rifle that on the outside is to die for. Almost perfect until you take out the bolt and try to see the light at the end of the barrel. Rusted, rotted out or corroded beyond belief. Previous owner shot surplus ammo and never cleaned the barrel. Was given to me and as soon as I pulled the bolt which had a light coat of rust my heart sank. Definitely beyond shooting, ate brushes and patches. Frank
    I would rebarrel a m39. Especially a FREE one! The Finns had it right at one time; now it's your turn.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For me, the biggest problem is that the guy pulling the trigger can't meet expectations!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For me, the biggest problem is that the guy pulling the trigger can't meet expectations!!
    Truth be told, that's the biggest problem for most of us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I would rebarrel a m39. Especially a FREE one! The Finns had it right at one time; now it's your turn.
    Could a new barrel be had or could someone make one easily to original specs?

I did read an article once about how Finnish shooters have made a whole bunch of wildcats on the 7.62x54 case. Boring one out to have a .35x54R would be cool.

Boolit Master
    I could comment on why anybody would sink money into a mil-surp as SHOOTING rifle, but then I buy Marlin and Savage lever guns and strive for MOA or less accuracy. Surprising I get it quite often so I won't criticize anybody else unless they need a better understanding of what they are really trying to do. If you want to 'buy a box of shells and hunt' go to Walmart (I do live in Wyoming) and get a 243 or 308, a 'box of shells' and go hunt. After that the time and money flows to reach whatever you think is fun, but don't think the other guy is stupid because his fun is different than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Could a new barrel be had or could someone make one easily to original specs?

I did read an article once about how Finnish shooters have made a whole bunch of wildcats on the 7.62x54 case. Boring one out to have a .35x54R would be cool.
    If JES works on Mosins, that would be the ticket. I've read of a 9.3 x54 version but the .358 version makes more sense.

Banned
    if someone did make a GOOD replacement barrel for the 91/30 to original dimensions .... id buy alot

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You’ve got that right. If you want a good Mosin, get one that was in the Finish arsenal. They were all gone through, put right and maintained correctly. However, you’re going to pay for it.

The problem with most Mosins, you don’t know what you’re getting. In the beginning the quality control was never that strict and you don’t know what the gun has been through.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    You’ve got that right. If you want a good Mosin, get one that was in the Finish arsenal. They were all gone through, put right and maintained correctly. However, you’re going to pay for it.

The problem with most Mosins, you don’t know what you’re getting. In the beginning the quality control was never that strict and you don’t know what the gun has been through.
    pre war quality was rather good. Its why MOST people really get excited when they can find a pre war hex receiver. Since the Obama import restrictions on Russian toys and ammo, those hexes have only gone up in value.

I admit we wouldn't have SOME wildcats if people had simply been sensible and purchased the correct rifle and caliber before hand. No doubt some guy wanted a 300 yard squirrel rifle, and when he couldn't get happiness with his 22 magnum, he started squeezing it down for .17 bullets.

Boolit Master
    Call me crazy, if it was in my safe I'd say "what the heck..." and start firelapping just to see what that old rifled sewer pipe could do.
    After that, either hang it on a wall, scrap it, maybe see if someone wants a parts gun/donor action, make $50 at the next buyback. There's always options.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I bought an old Turkish 8mm at a gun show for $60 The stock was in horrible shape and the gun was not collectable. I have shot it many times with fairly stiff handloads and have gotten 3 deer with it. I worked it over and sawed off the bolt and replaced it with one of the screw on type bolts made so that one could mount a scope on it. D&T it for a scope mount and scoped it. Sawed off the 29 inch barrel to about 24 inch and put a $100 plastic stock on it.

Was it worth it. For me it was as it gave me something to play with and it is now a very good hunting rifle. Don't think its minute of angle but it does shoot OK in spite of the bore. Would I have paid a gunsmith to work it over, no. As far as the Russian rifles, I played with them but thought that they were basically junk. The cheap pull out bolt end used as a safety made them a bit impractical for me. Also I tried to get a carbine to shoot cast. When I slugged it, it had a bore of 317. I sold it to a collector.

Depends on what the base is and what you want. If I had a good base I would consider putting some work in a Milsurp. But more likely I would just buy another Savage Axis. I kind of thought I was being a bit idiotic when I bought a Boyd's stock for mine, but I now have a rifle I like and that is very shootable in a caliber I like. It was still less expensive than buying a comparable rifle off the shelf.

DEP

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    the Russian sniper corp was the most proficient of any country and the lowly mosin is what they used nuff said.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Weren't most Russian snipers women? That likely has alot to do with it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Weren't most Russian snipers women? That likely has alot to do with it!
    ever see photos of the Russian lady snipers? Most of them favored the stockier side of Slavic ancestry, and that HELPS when you got a Mosin tucked in your shoulder pocket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    the Russian sniper corp was the most proficient of any country and the lowly mosin is what they used nuff said.
    Except they couldn't handle the finnish winter.

I've had a couple of Mosins, they can be very accurate. I never thought of modifying them at all so I let them go.

I rather pay a little more for a known good,modern gun than "save money" by tinkering with vintage stuff. I don't even build my AR:s, my favorite tinkering happens in casting/reloading. Sometimes a man has to choose between fun and another fun.

In tractor parlance, Mosins are "Poppin' Johnnies"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    Its very very popular to decide to buy a rifle, come up with a perceived NEED to have the rifle, then to go out and buy a rifle that simply cant meet the users needs, and then spend lots of time and money modifying the rifle to TRY to make it work..

They want a rifle for generic shooting and deer hunting. End up buying a 91/30 from a guy and a case of 1940s heavy ball, and get to work at 100 yards making shot gun patterns.
    Spend 200$ on the archangel stock, 2-300$ on a scope and scout scope mount, still keep making huge patterns that Frodo could stand in the middle of and not worry. Gets really price 3$ a round target ammo, groups stay the same.
    Visits a gunsmith who takes 3 minutes to find out the barrel is missing half the rifling, as a result of using ww2 corrosive ammo and never cleaning it for 30 years like the previous owner did.

why do people have to do that?
    The ignorant ones learn, the stupid ones buy another “bargain” and talk about how much they saved.
    Don Verna

In tractor parlance, Mosins are "Poppin' Johnnies"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    My “Poppin Johnnies” have been a blast to own.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    why do people have to do that?
    It's called capitalism and living in a free country.
    Also falls under mind your own business.
    I don't care what people do, as long as it doesn't affect me.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast