WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Christmas Revolver- Smith and Wesson 617-1 8 3/8”

Boolit Buddy

Christmas Revolver- Smith and Wesson 617-1 8 3/8”

I bought one of my grail guns on Gunbroker for my Christmas present this year. A 8 3/8” S&W 617-1. It is currently on the way to me now.
    Anybody have one?

Boolit Master
    Merry Christmas, I have a 4inch nodash. Sweet guns, mines a six shooter, how bout yours,6 or 10? My 8 3/8 is a M17 -5 , I used to love the long barrels but then the 4 inch started to be my choice. That long 17 aint going anywhere anytime soon, long is good too!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have a 6” six shooter and it’s probably my most accurate revolver.
    Not to mention the slickest action job on any revolver I have too.

Double action 6 shots on a 10” steel at 50 yards one after another.

Boolit Master

I bought a LNIB model 18-2 last year from the LGS. The -2 is the last pinned barrel model. You never know what you'll run across.

Brad

Boolit Buddy
    It is a 6 shot. I have a 6” 10 shot newer production. It’s is an awesome revolver. I’m hoping this one is too.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought this one used but in excellent shape about 10 years ago for $299.00:

It had a problem in that it would not eject fired rounds without great difficulty.

I took a bronze .223 caliber rifle brush, and some JB bore paste and chucked it in a drill and polished them to the point that ejection was no longer an issue.

It shoots as accurately as any 22 rimfire rifle I own.

Boolit Buddy
    ATCDoKTOR the grips alone are worth that now.
    Beautiful gun.

Boolit Buddy
    ATCDoKTOR the grips alone are worth that now.
    Beautiful gun.
    Thanks, I know you will enjoy yours (especially if you like accurate rimfire revolvers).

I have an identical model 617-1 with a 6 inch barrel that’s brand new in the box that’s never been fired.

It’s been sitting in my safe so long sometimes I forget it’s in there.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!!!! I have one, with 6" barrel and target trigger/hammer, which is without a doubt the slickest, and most accurate .22 revolver I've ever shot! The double action rivals my Colt Python's! Fyi -- if you don't already know -- Smith and Wesson also produced this revolver in .22 mag -- with them monikering it as their Model 648. Almost identical in looks to the 617 -- it is a close 2nd! It was only produced for a short time -- 1989 to 1994 -- but, if you can find one... maybe next year's Christmas present? -- not perhaps anything but a great choice. Produced only with the 6" barrel, it's shorter than yours -- but, again, a perfect clone ('cept caliber) of mine.
    Merry Christmas to you.... ENJOY!!!!
    geo

I had a 617 6" and two 617-6 4" 10shoters this year. Took all 3 on trades but were like new. I don't keep Stainless or S&Ws that new. My keepers are 3 m17 6" and 2 m18s. I use to buy nothing except
    83/8" and found the 6" guns I could shoot just as well. It's the other way with 4", I can't shoot them
    as well as I could when younger. I carry a m17 a lot and though 4" is a little nicer to carry I don't notice the extra with 6".