WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: NOE sale,picked a 73gr 358wc

Boolit Master

NOE sale,picked a 73gr 358wc

got an email from NOE, 2 day sale on all35 cal in stock + using 1000$ club discount. Well heck, I been wanting a really light 38 bullet for a while, they had lots of these and the 110 too. Merry Christmas to me!
    Anybody still playing with 75ish grain wadcutters, 358101or the like in 38special? Almost drug up an old post about shooting it in 380acp, wonder if a Beretta 84 will feed it? Going to try it single shot in 35rem m14 and 141 too. 2 tail to tail in 38???
    Anyway, too good a deal not to get something and this should provide lots of experimentation fun!!!
    Last edited by rking22; 12-15-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Stopped phone fingers
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

For some reason I never had much luck finding a load that would do bugholes with those 75gr wc's. But they were a heck of a lot of fun loading 2 of them in (stacking 1 on top of the other) a 38spl or 357 case for plinking loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    They are real fun to mess with the minds of shooting buddies. Fire two shots, and four holes in the target. They say hard things when they identify the culprit.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I bet they do! First mold Ive bought in a while just as a pure toy, the 44wc last week was a necessity
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Two of those little buggers can be coaxed up to about 1000 ft/sec from a .38 snubby and I've yet to be convinced that wouldn't make a good self-defense load.

For a recipe, search for "fortunecookie duplex" on youtube or plug into Hodgdon's online load calculator with .38 Special +P for the cartridge and 140 grains for the bullet weight. There are other ways to reach 1000 ft/sec, but the Hodgdon load is modern day published with a listed pressure of 17,700 psi.

As for using a double wadcutter load for self defense, consider that the two .36 caliber bullets have the same cross-sectional area as a single bullet that expanded to .50 caliber. And at 1000 ft/sec each of those little wadcutters has over 150 ft-lbs of energy -- enough to penetrate well past the FBI 12" minimum in ballistic gel.

As for accuracy, it's not uncommon for a cylinderful to put 6 to 8 hits into a single ragged hole at 10 yards with the other 2 to 4 hits just out of the group. With a 2" DAO revolver, I couldn't do any better than that with light target ammo and it would take two cylinderfuls to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	little 38 boolits 004.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	232780
    There are 18 holes here from a 357 loaded with 3 358-101's. I have used these for low recoil loads for training my daughter and grand daughter, with a single boolit over a scant charge of Bullseye, as well as a variety of multi boolit loads. They can be great fun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input. I got it primarily for single bullet fun loads for my daughter and wife,,,,and I will need to personally test them, extensively. Will definitely try 2 of them in 38special, sounds amusing and might make a good Creek fishing load. Was thinking 2.7 bullseye and a card was between them, tail to tail?????? Then try my normal load of 3.5 with the pair.
    When single loading them has anyone tried deep seating it to reduce powder space, any point with bullseye?

I have an old group buy 73ish gr DEWC. It is one of my favorite molds. Accurate enough to smack 1/4 size idpa steel at 30 yards and mild enough recoil for anybody to shoot. 2 of them loaded in a .38 or .357 case are a hoot to shoot as well.

I don't think you will regret buying this mold one bit.