Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS Advanced Powder Measure Stand: Am I missing something?

RCBS Advanced Powder Measure Stand: Am I missing something?

Is the RCBS APMS supposed to be threaded 7/8x14 to allow me to screw the powder measure into the hole at the top of the stand?

I ordered two of them and neither are threaded.

The only part in the box is the stand, no threaded insert (if they make one) to slide into the oversized hole.

Gravity is the only thing holding the powder measure in.
    I'm a mite confused...

Boolit Master

Mine uses a nut from underneath.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

The 2 multi-measure PM stands I've made require die locknuts.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Thanks for the replies.
    I had already put a die nut on top and one on bottom to secure it, but wanted to know if anyone else had a better idea...

In Remembrance

The old style was threaded. This new style is a victem of the money saving way of making things. Why thread the hole when a tension nut from underneath and on top would work?Robert

Boolit Master

I disagree that being an unthreaded model is a cost savings exercise. It is a big improvement.

No way I want my powder stand to be threaded. Drop it in and secure it from below with a lock ring (included with the Uniflow). Hand snug is sufficient. When done throwing charges, remove the lock ring and lift the measure out to dump the powder. So convenient. Some guys like to crank up the metering volume and meter one shot at a time back into the canister when done with a loading session. I used to do it that way.

Also enables swapping places with one powder measure to another very quickly and conveniently. Some of us have large and small cylinders setup in separate powder measures.

Regarding the RCBS stand, I wish that it were deeper so I could get more tray underneath (yes, shooting charges directly into a block is controversial).
    Last edited by Taterhead; 12-17-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    No way I want my powder stand to be threaded. Drop it in and secure it from below with a lock ring (included with the Uniflow). Hand snug is sufficient. When done throwing charges. Remove the lock ring and lift the measure out to dump the powder. So convenient.
    Also enables swapping places with one powder measure to another very quickly and conveniently. Some of us have large and small cylinders setup in separate powder measures.
    I use the similar Hornady stands in the same manner. Keep my two powder measures set up with a rifle drum in one and the pistol drum in the other with one mounted over the scale while the unused powder measure is stored on a small angle bolted to the end of my bench in an out-of-the-way place. I just screw off the locking ring from hand-tight and dump them out when done or swap them when needed. Its a good place to use those new RCBS lock rings without the clench bolts in them to keep them tight on a set of dies.

Boolit Grand Master

It is easier to swap measures in the unthreaded. remove the lower nut and lift out. Same when installing it. Another plus to the un threaded is a disk with a 7/8" stem made and you have a turret stand that holds several measures. Just loosen nut and turn to desired measure.
    Measures that use the c clamp style mounting Harrels, lymann. Or exert side pressures Belding and Mulls don't work well with them.
    As far as threaded unthreaded its more a matter of personal preference than anything. I like the unthreaded since there is less chance of dropping the measure. Un threading and holding a handle induces a lot of wobble.

Addressing the cost reduction of manufacture the unthreaded version can be cast complete with little needed machining. The threaded version has a couple steps added. Drill to tap drill size, tap and deburr. While not a lot these are added steps and tooling, and thus up the cost slightly. With the right cores inserts in the mold these can be cast ready for paint. The process for unthreaded would be cast ( 10 - 12 each on a tree from the mould machine) trim from tree. Deburr, finish ( paint or polish) They may see an hour or more in a big tumblers with media this would deburr smooth rough surfaces and prep for paint. Most casting machines run unattended or one operator to 2-4 machines. This operator may have one casting machine and run the trim press at the same time. A person to load unload tumblers, They may be running several big tumblers also. then the paint. For the threaded versions a heavy drill press and fixture to hold is added with a drill tap combo in it. Hole is cast undersized drill / tap combo is a drill long enough to break thru before tap engages then the tap . This is a custom made tool usually made to specs in house.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is old enough to be threaded. I guess I have not noticed the newer ones. Neither method is a biggie to me but the unthreaded method seems like it would be a little quicker.