Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women carrying concealed

Boolit Master

She may want to consider appendix carry inside the waistband. Women usually have enough on top to have the shirt drape over the midsection allowing concealment. Good luck to the young lady and may God and Glock protect her.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned

Not sure if it's an option but would her employer allow her to open carry on the property? Would solve a lot of problems.

Having a relative, especially a female one working around the kind of riff-raff you describe would be very worrisome to me. It would seem to me that apartment complex would want to keep two people on site all the time anyway, nobody should have to go deal with the kind of situations she probably has to deal with alone.

Boolit Master

Haven't bought one yet, but my very petite daughter likes the look and reviews of this hip band for when she goes running.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/4555569...kaAtz-EALw_wcB
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    OK I'm going way back!:
    Attachment 232140
    Ha, did you look close? Colt 1908 25 cal, in a holster that looks like it would hold a 4 inch revolver....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Flash bang tends to work well depending on her build. With blouse untucked, makes for fast draw.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I learned a long time ago that I have no clue how to advise women to carry a gun. My only input is that off body carry (purse, bag, etc. ) is a bad idea on a lot of levels.

Open carry would NOT be a good option in the situation discussed in this thread. That will MAKE her a target. They will plan an attack on her just to get that gun and if they use surprise and more than one person they will certainly succeed.

Her best piece of survival equipment is her brain.
    Get to know the people in the complex. She doesn't have to be friends with them but she should know their names, who they live with, who associates with them.
    The residents will be more likely to harm her if the residents are anonymous. They will be less likely to harm her if they see her as a human being. They will be less likely to harm her if others in the complex will be witnesses protecting her. None of that means she should put her life in the hands of others and become a sheep but her odds of being attacked go way down if the residents see her as a person.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I learned a long time ago that I have no clue how to advise women to carry a gun. My only input is that off body carry (purse, bag, etc. ) is a bad idea on a lot of levels.

Open carry would NOT be a good option in the situation discussed in this thread. That will MAKE her a target. They will plan an attack on her just to get that gun and if they use surprise and more than one person they will certainly succeed.

Her best piece of survival equipment is her brain.
    Get to know the people in the complex. She doesn't have to be friends with them but she should know their names, who they live with, who associates with them.
    The residents will be more likely to harm her if the residents are anonymous. They will be less likely to harm her if they see her as a human being. They will be less likely to harm her if others in the complex will be witnesses protecting her. None of that means she should put her life in the hands of others and become a sheep but her odds of being attacked go way down if the residents see her as a person.
    Best advice ever!!!!

Honestly

A long blouse/ light jacket with a good reteinsion holster.

Regardless tons and tons of practice drawing the weapon.

It should be done without thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

My wife is also small being about 5ft and 100lbs. She generally carries 2 pistols. One in a concealed carry purse I bought her and one in a hip holster. When not carrying my Chiefs Special her preferred hip holster carry has come down to either Sig P938 or a SW Shield 9mm. Small and thin, easy to conceal. If that is a major problem we both have a NAA 22Mag 5 shot derringer with the flip handle. Looks just like a cell phone in the pocket and 5 shots of Hornady 22 WMR 45gr FTX or Speer 40gr 22Mag GDHP should be enough to get the heck out of dodge.
    I agree that a purse can make her a target. As always, situational awareness is paramount.

Of course, in extreme situations she could carry her Taurus Judge with 410 shotshells or slugs. Takes a dedicated thief to keep theft in mind presented with that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Buddy

Just went through this thread with my daughter. First some clarification on the situation. She has been a property manager at various properties for about 5 years, so she has had plenty of experience dealing with section 8 residents. Much of what P&P said is second nature to her. She doesn't feel a specific threat, however there have been several incidents prior to her arriving at the property of knives being drawn on maintenance personnel and she wants to be prepared - always. Open carry is out. First because she agrees with P&P that it would make her a target and second because the owners insurance wouldn't allow it. Insurance wouldn't allow concealed carry either, but nobody know she carries and she would rather lose the job than go without. That may be changing though as her boss has been targeted by a stalker and her boss has been talking to owners about including concealed carry on the insurance policies.

Thanks to everyone for posting. Several things have come from the information. First, she will be getting some sort of IWB, but to keep clothing options open a belly band will also necessary. Second, we will be looking for a new gun this week. She told me the lack of a manual safety on the glock makes her uncomfortable. I love looking at new guns so this should be fun. Might have to get me one too. Third, the site sureYnot mentioned thewellarmedwoman.com also has associated with it shooting clubs, 357+ of them around the country including one here in Tucson. My daughter will be contacting them this week and see what type of hands on experience they can provide as well as training in the future. Thanks again.

Starbits
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

In the meantime as you work out the lethal storage problem I highly suggest this immediately

https://www.officer.com/tactical/ems...er-ii-a-review

...I gave one for Christmas to my daughters, daughter in laws, and granddaughters ..11 women ...all in suburbia and cities..all joggers,athletes coming and going from practices etc ..that was two years ago .. ..
    So far ...TWO CONFIRMED SAVES ...one the mere sight of it sent'em running ..the second perp took it in the face and as my kin extracted themselves from the confrontation the perp cussing and wanting his mom-ma all at the same time could be heard

Best $400 I ever spent for Christmas Gifts

Bear

Boolit Master
    I got my wife a Hungarian pa 63. it was cheap with the aluminum frame it is lite to carry and the 9x18 has a little more punch then the .380. I have even thought of getting another one for summer carry.

Banned
    what about a shoulder holster? some reason the added "bulk" up stairs might make the ladies smile more

lack of a manual safety on the glock makes her uncomfortable. SIL let me try his Mom's sig (P238? 9mm). safety and hammer version compact. Shot well, felt good - 147gr factory stuff. Manual safety was a pain for me, needs lots of exercise or lube. Does she sit at a desk in office or move about the complex a lot? Draw while sitting with IWB could be tough. Belly carry may be best for that situation.
    Kydex is probably best if unholstering/reholstering is needed.
    Safety was just hard to set to fire, easy to put on safe, probably by design.
    Don't think I'd reholster the FlashBang like she did with a Glock or XD.
    Last edited by popper; 12-19-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Whatever!

I've a Walther CCP, external safety. But isn't as small as some others. SCCY, as big as the CCP, but with my small hands, the safety is too small in my opinion to work easily in a self defense setting. Better without it. (which they make) Both these are 9mm. I'm looking personally at a Taurus Spectum. Small , 380 but no external safety. But it isn't a Glock. Go handle a bunch and shoot some if they have a rental range..... good luck

OH, the Kimber pepper blaster is free with a few different Kimber handguns right now. might be a good twofer.

Probably a micro subcompact in a flash bang holster. Neck holsters are really fast to deploy from as long as the shirt is not tucked in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12