RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Does Savage and Marlin X7 have the same barrel threads?

Boolit Master

Does Savage and Marlin X7 have the same barrel threads?

Just wondering if the small shank Savage and the Marlin X7’s have the same barrel threads, I am pretty sure they do, all replies appreciated!

Boolit Grand Master
    I think they do, but I remember reading that they aren't a direct swap. Something about either depth of chamber or length of threads.

Robert

Boolit Master
    But it is not a drop in fit. If you read that article it takes some machine work to make them fit correctly.

Boolit Buddy
    I've put a Mcgowen made .358 Win on an XS7 and an MGM made .450 Bush on another. Screw right on, no work beyond judging headspace. Cast paradise on the cheap.

Boolit Master
    Be carefull.

The Marlin bolt projects forward more than the Savage barrels are cut for. It is not the bolt face but rather the leading edge bolt head. Thus the Savage cut barrel can bottom out on that before the chamber is effectively head spaced correctly.

Don’t quote me but I have read that the face of the chamber end of the barrel would need to cut shorter something on the order of 0.020”. Don’t take my word on that, but I would research it further.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    The Marlin boltfaces are counterbored at .128". Any ill fit might belong to the chamber ream job. The Savage extractor, (and spring and ball) will fit the Marlin with slight filing of the extractor sides. The plastic stocks will scrape out readily for a chubby barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Be carefull.

The Marlin bolt projects forward more than the Savage barrels are cut for. It is not the bolt face but rather the leading edge bolt head. Thus the Savage cut barrel can bottom out on that before the chamber is effectively head spaced correctly.

Don’t quote me but I have read that the face of the chamber end of the barrel would need to cut shorter something on the order of 0.020”. Don’t take my word on that, but I would research it further.

Best regards

Three44s
    I put a 35 Whelen barrel for Savage on a Marlin. I had to have .015 faced off of the barrel before it would headspace properly. It faked me out because the barrel bumped into the bolt face and I thought it was bottoming on the GO gauge. I learned better when I fired it for the first time and had several misfires. I also had to buy a new extractor because the stress of holding the case against the firing pin impact broke the factory MIM part.

EDIT: the link above is to a thread about my rifle on The Firing Line.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.