Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Wanted: Machinist

Boolit Buddy

Wanted: Machinist

I need a unconventional sizing/trim die made was wondering if there were any CB members that might be interested in taking on the task for a price?

Boolit Master

What you got?

Boolit Buddy
    I need a size/trim die for 9mm flobert. I plan on forming centerfire 9mm flobert casings from donor cases and converting a 9mm flobert "garden gun" to centerfire to ease the reloading process of the rimfire cartridge

Boolit Master

Do you have or can a reamer be rented?

Boolit Buddy
    I do not have a reamer, PTG makes them but no rental I have found stocks them.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe LEE can custom make any die you need ? https://leeprecision.com/lee-custom-services/

Boolit Master
    Did you check ch4d for such die

Boolit Buddy
    nothing in their caliber list. If I could get something to set a shoulder back on a 32-20 win case with a finished neck diameter of .324/5 that would be all I really need. I am researching cartridge dimensions to see if there is something I could shorten to do the above task.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    I need a size/trim die for 9mm flobert. I plan on forming centerfire 9mm flobert casings from donor cases and converting a 9mm flobert "garden gun" to centerfire to ease the reloading process of the rimfire cartridge
    What would be the donor case ? You mentioned a 32-20 but that would not hold much shot.
    The 9 mm rimfire flobert shells I have seen are 1 3/4" long and hold 1/4 oz of shot.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    my brass 9mm flobert cartridges are 1.43" 32-20 win are around 1.31" so about .12" shorter. However necking it down more than 3/4 of it's length will likely stretch it a hair. Closest thing I can locate to do what I need with the least amount of work and investment.

Boolit Man
    Couldn't you grind down the mouth of a 32-20 sizing die to set the shoulder back? All 32-20 dies are steel so shouldn't be too hard.

Wouldn't be cheaper and a lot easier just to buy the right ammunition?

https://www.milehighshooting.com/fio...-9mm-6-50-box/

Boolit Buddy
    Where's the fun in that?
    Also, after a small initial investment I can make my own WAY cheaper and be more versatile in my loadings, besides that if fiocchi ever stops importing the ammo I'd have an expensive paperweight. Besides, I like to tinker. If the die would be long enough after cutting it down to still set the shoulder back far enough, possibly. My Flobert cases are measuring .323 at the neck whereas the .32-20 win is more like .326. I have found an inexpensive sizing die that will form the neck to .324 and set the shoulder back where I need it which may very well be "close enough" to get by with.
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 12-16-2018 at 03:11 AM.

Banned
    So let me be sure I have this right you need a die with a straight hole bored in it at probably .321 or .322 to account for spring back
    And there isn't enough of a shoulder to need a specific angle .
    Just to initially form cases and after that you won't need a sizing die ?

If I have that correct , and you want to buy a chucking reamer ($10-15) for the size hole you want , pay for the postage , and let's say $15 for my time to thread a piece of drill rod and drill/ream the hole
    I'll whip you up a die . If it is going to get much more complicated then that I'll have to bow out . Have enough projects going on and reamers take time to make

If you are pretty careful on drilling center , you could do this yourself with a drill press , threaded rod or a bolt and the appropriate size drill bit and chucking reamer
    Last edited by redneck1; 12-16-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Would it be possible to re-chamber with a 32-20 reamer setting a new shoulder to use 32-20 brass ? Then open the throat of a 32-20 sizer to the desired diameter ??
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I gotta have pictures of the gun and cartridges. I can't make dies but I love looking at pics.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post
    My Flobert cases are measuring .323 at the neck whereas the .32-20 win is more like .326. I have found an inexpensive sizing die that will form the neck to .324 and set the shoulder back where I need it which may very well be "close enough" to get by with.
    Here's a 9mm Flobert, I think:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9mm-flobert.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	232220

Here's where I ran a .223 into a .32 S&W sizing die, for another project. (Didn't have a .32-20)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181217_134823.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	232221

Looks pretty close, or could be, with better dimensions.

If your .324 sizing die doesn't quite work, maybe you could find a neck size bushing that would do the job (i.e., for a bushing neck sizing die, but not the whole die, just the bushing) and have someone make a holder for it. Kind of like the old Saeco stubby dies, but variable diameter by changing the bushing. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the ideas and offers fellas. I have a few things on thier way to me, after some experimentation I'll decide which route I want to or need to go with this!

Boolit Grand Master

A very simple die can be made in a drill press of the lee style (whack a mole) and ran in a small arbor press or vise even. Decide on size need for case. drill hole slightly undersized and ream to size with decimal reamer. I would ream .001-.002 small then polish out to final size.

This would be used like the straight line dies. Insert case in die and push in with arbor press or vise. use a ring and rod to push back out.
    The nice thing with this style die is no threads to cut, ant shape stock can be used round square octagon or rectangle.