RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet proof plastic?

Boolit Master
    I would test common cailbers that one might be expected to incounter 9mm fmj and HP, 40sw, and .45, .223 , 7.62x39, and finish with .308. most thugs don't Rob convenient stores with a 45/70. But shoot what ya got. I would need more samples and woul have some fun

Boolit Master
    I expect any any small caliber, hi velocity bullet will expand and stop in it. I have put holes thru railroad tie plates with a 22-250, but steel is non yielding. 30-06 ball would not go thru them! Will also stop all typical pistols. 30-06ap, yep straight thru,the stuff is not designed for that. 7.62x39 steel core,, I am curious there. Also wonder on the 44 300gr, need pictures.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

That lexan is tough stuff , you'll need an 88 magnum ! It shoots through schools
    Seriously a piece that thick is easily gonna stop most all non exotic ammo reguardless the caliber . That 30-06 AP would be a contender . You'll need something small hard and going very fast
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Years ago I was on a man trap project for Puerto Rico sidewalk banks. Man trap made of 2" laminated lexan. IIRC it was 50 cal pistol rated, no rifle but I think somebody tested against AK. I tried lifting a 2'x4'x1" skyscraper shatterproof glass. Got one corner about 2" off the ground.
    A company in Garland used to build armored autos. They said the windows were not the hard part, it was body armoring.
    Whatever!

“Bullet proof” is dependent on standards. 1” steel plate can’t stop some bullets.

Boolit Master

Had a friend of mine ruin a brand new 8" gong I had bought for my .45ACP 200gr mild WC loads. 5/8" mild steel. I set it up at 25yds.

He shot it with a 5.56 FMJ, created a nice "flowered" depression about 1/2" into it.

Boy the idiots you can't trust to turn your back on.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have seen a sample of this type of material used in armoured cars used to transport cash, the sample I saw had been shot with a 44mag a 7.62x25 tokarev pistol and a 7.62x39 full metal jacket, the 7.62x39 and 7.62x25 both penetrated about the same but the 44mag just penetrated and that's all. The impression I got was that sustained fire would have seen complete penetration in all but the 44mag. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Yeah, but they're tough to carry concealed. lol
    Yea, when I walk through the Valley of Evil I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest guy in the valley
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Think I`ll tag along and see what happens.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12