WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Henry ss rifle in 30-30 win

Boolit Buddy

Henry ss rifle in 30-30 win

Well, I decided to rebore my 308 win Henry ss rifle to 358 win and I added a new Henry ss in 30-30 win. The 30-30 showed up this afternoon to my lgs. The rifle looks great!
    The hammer reminded my of my arthritis in my thumb. I scoped it to take it to the range one of this days.
    As far as the trigger, it is definitely heavy but crisp. I was wondering if just removing the hammer little spring would improve instead of buying a new spring set from Grainger. Would it work without the smaller spring?
    Thanks.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like you are having fun

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I am.
    I had been wanting to get a rifle rebored to 358 win and I bought the Henry ss in 308 win for that but took me a while to decide because the rifle look just fine in 308 but then again, life is short and my as well try it.
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve got a call from Jes Reboring and my Henry ss 308 win converted to 358 win is on its way. Jes said he also did a Henry lever rifle rebore so Henry’s will be on his list of doable reboring.
    I can’t wait to try it!
    Camba

Banned

definitely worth a try for going with just the large spring alone.

i have a pair of henry h015's in .223rem and .357mag. the large spring appears to be for the trigger sear and the smaller spring kicks in for the hammer. since the trigger on both my guns was horribly hefty (well over 7#) the swap out of both stock springs worked great for the .223 but i got light strikes with the .357, which required adding back in the smaller spring. both guns have under 4# trigger pulls, each with a crisp let off. HUGE difference - for the better!

at the least, you Really do want to ditch the stock large spring and replace it with a grainger 31# spring. check the threads in this forum, i think someone will have a 31# spring for sale for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    definitely worth a try for going with just the large spring alone.

i have a pair of henry h015's in .223rem and .357mag. the large spring appears to be for the trigger sear and the smaller spring kicks in for the hammer. since the trigger on both my guns was horribly hefty (well over 7#) the swap out of both stock springs worked great for the .223 but i got light strikes with the .357, which required adding back in the smaller spring. both guns have under 4# trigger pulls, each with a crisp let off. HUGE difference - for the better!

at the least, you Really do want to ditch the stock large spring and replace it with a grainger 31# spring. check the threads in this forum, i think someone will have a 31# spring for sale for cheap.
    Actually.....at least in my recent experience......I think you may be best off to ditch the smaller diameter spring and stay with either the standard large diameter spring or go to a somewhat lighter spring. Both springs push on the same trigger actuator and perform the exact same functions....IMO. So either combination or a separate spring will have similar effects on the hammer pull and trigger pull. The thing is......the bolt which holds the stock on.....can and does impinge on the smaller diameter spring.....thus skewing the effects of this spring for different guns and any differences in stock dimensions. For the small diameter spring to work reliably the bolt holding the stock may need to be shortened a bit so as to not impinge on that smaller spring. A strange set up. See posts at Impressions on Henry Single Shot.

Banned

actually and unfortunately, there is no spring or set of springs that will work the same in any henry h015.

like most stuff about guns, just more subjectivity that requires personal testing.

been there, done that, got it working well for both my h015's.

Boolit Master
    Be neat for a .38-55 rebore. I really am looking forward to more caliber options
    .38-55
    41 Magnum
    405 Winchester
    35 whelen
    6.5x55SE

Boolit Buddy
    I put a 4.5x18x40 scope and tested the new 30-30win Henry ss.
    I sighted it out with about 4 shots at 25 yds and made a 5-shot group with some reloads I have that works well in my T/C 14” pistol.
    Then I took it to 50 yards and have another 4-shot group with the 113gr Lee soup can .311 and made a scope correction with the fifth shot.
    Then I tried another cast boolit load that works great in my H&R 30-30 and I put 4 out of 5 shots in about the same hole. I made the fifth shot and got a flier.
    How is that for luck?
    My best load was:
    150gr Lee RF
    17.0gr Alliant 2400
    Fed Premium GM155M LPP
    2.510” OAL
    Vel. Around 1900 fps.

Camba

Boolit Master

Did you slug the bore/chamber? What diameter are you sizing your Lee 150s?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I am sizing them with a Lee push-through in .311”.
    I have not slugged the barrel yet.
    Camba

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    actually and unfortunately, there is no spring or set of springs that will work the same in any henry h015.

like most stuff about guns, just more subjectivity that requires personal testing.

been there, done that, got it working well for both my h015's.
    Hogwash. Your jumping to conclusions IMO. I know you mean well....but this gun is not smoke and mirrors....and these guns are no different than any other. It certainly can be corrected. Most triggers and hammer pulls can be made to be of similar characteristics. These guns are no different. That smaller center spring and the "stock bolt" are causing the issues....IMO. Get that variable out of the mix and these guns will provide a decent set up.....and a quite reliable and reasonable trigger and hammer pulls. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 12-24-2018 at 12:52 AM.