RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast Bullets and silencers

Boolit Buddy

Cast Bullets and silencers

I am not as proficient as many of you but I do enjoy casting bullets for accuracy. Last winter I spent an inordinate amount of time playing with a K Horner inside my shop developing a subsonic load. I have a 10 meter range inside the shop that gives me climate control comfort here in Missouri during the cold months. This winter I would like to spend my spare time with a Rem 700BDL doing the same. But I want to dive into silencers which is a side topic as I am fully aware. Point blank questions; is there any pitfalls ahead of me using a silencer, cast bullets and a bolt action .308 Rem bolt action?

Boolit Master
    With traditional lubed bullets the interior of the silencer will catch a whole bunch of lube and will require frequent cleaning. With coated bullets you should be fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I cast some for my friend to use and he hasn’t mentioned any problems. Might make a difference with type of lube used. He uses a 50% beeswax mix. PC is great in my opinion.

Boolit Master

I've used cast in my can with the 9mm & .22 LR. The first inch and a half or so of most cans is called the blast chamber. In mine, that is where the lead and lube accumulates. The first time I pulled it apart the chamber was coated almost completely with lead.

Since my blast chamber is stainless steel, I use 'The Dip" and it literally eats the lead off. The dip is 1/2 and 1/2 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The lead turns into lead acetate (I think), which is quite toxic. So I don't drink it and am careful of how I dispose of it.

No aluminum in the dip though, it'll get eaten too. Titanium is ok.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Be careful with lead acetate. I believe it is absorbed through the skin.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Buddy
    Have shot thousands of rounds of 9mm cast, powder coated through a can. Cleaned up with a soak in an ultrasonic cleaner. My can does not come apart.

Can't say for 308 pressures though.

Boolit Master

I believe you are correct Whisler. And I believe it is quite toxic. So I'm careful, just like I am with other hazardous chemicals.

Cat

No lead through the can!

I've shot suppressors for many years. I have a Bowers CAC9 that has been updated a number of times, and has the adapters on it. I shoot it in a S&W 76 9mm, Uzi 9mm, Mac 9mm and MAC 380 submachine guns.
    My manufacturer (Tom Bowers of Bowers Mfg.) said emphatically "...NO LEAD THROUGH THE CAN!
    The ONLY lead to use in a can is in .22 lr. Even then I coat the baffles with Frog Lube and clean it after every use.
    The short answer is NO!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds like a prettty firm opinion about suppressors and cast bullets.

So......how does that song go......”to sub-sonic we will go, to sub-sonic we will go, hi ho the merry oh, to sub-sonic we will go”.

Thanks fish4bugs. Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by wm cook View Post
    that sounds like a prettty firm opinion about suppressors and cast bullets.
    So......how does that song go......”to sub-sonic we will go, to sub-sonic we will go, hi ho the merry oh, to sub-sonic we will go”.
    Thanks fish4bugs. Bill.
    you are welcome.
    I use berry's plated bullets for the subsonic rounds.
    Check them out.
    www.berrysmfg.com
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Well, that's Tim Bowers answer. Not everyone has the same idea.

Cat

Boolit Master
    I have been shooting two 22LR:s with suppressors since the early 90's. Never cleaned the suppressors,they still work normally. Must be some crud in there from tens of thousands rounds.

On the other hand, Brugger&Thomet told me to NOT shoot cast through their (integrated) suppressor in a 9mm carbine.

And on the third hand, I've had a dedicated, compact suppressed 308 bolt gun for cast subsonic for 15 years. Still going strong,the suppressor can not be opened,neither "dipped".

So I have no definite answer - but I will try coated in 9mm when I get something with a removable suppressor.

Boolit Grand Master

"Point blank questions; is there any pitfalls ahead of me using a silencer, cast bullets and a bolt action .308 Rem bolt action?"

I've been shooting cast bullets through a Sionics suppressor out of the .308W since the early '80s. If you can regularly (like after every use) disassemble the suppressor and clean it then no problems (use of crimp on GCs only) with subsonic or sonic cast bullet loads. If you can't disassemble the suppressor then minimal use with subsonic loads only is my recommendation as lube and lead built up does occur.

I have no experience with PC'd cast through a suppressor so won't go there.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot cast PC suppressed in my 300 Blackout with no problem. This is a 245 grain at about 900 fps. I haven't shot anything faster in the 300. I will try 45 and maybe 9mm PC with a suppressor when weather permits. I would not shoot any cast that is not PC'ed. I am sure that would cause a lot of buildup in the can. My only other concern would be proper ventilation for shooting inside your shop. Most people don't use "climate control comfort" and ventilation in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Well, that's Tim Bowers answer. Not everyone has the same idea.
    Cat
    Tom is the designer and manufacturer of the suppressors. I think he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by scotner View Post
    I shoot cast PC suppressed in my 300 Blackout with no problem.
    Same here. Just gave my TBAC 30P-1 a colonoscopy and it's clean as a whistle. Assume shooting supers through it now and then helps. That said, a little lead in a suppressor isn't the end of the world, and a dirty suppressor is quieter than a clean one. If it ever gets to be too much, it's easy to dissolve it out as Castshooter said.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Tom is the designer and manufacturer of the suppressors. I think he knows what he is talking about.
    I bet Tom knows a metric ton about suppressors that I don't know.

What does he know about cast boolits? If he's like 95% of the shooters out there, he knows quite a bit, most of it wrong.

Or maybe not. Maybe the way he designs and builds suppressors you shouldn't use cast in 'em. I wouldn't know. I'm just pointing out a possibility for you.

Enjoy your suppressor, they're a lot of fun.

Cat

Boolit Master
    no problem if you clean them

Boolit Master
    mine got leaded up pretty bad using PC cast. No longer will do that, jacketed only now.

Boolit Master
    Folks shoot thousands of lead pellets through barrels with cans in airguns with no trouble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast