Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
PBcastcoInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&w 1500

Banned

S&w 1500

A guy has one for sale locally in .222. I've wanted a good .222 for a while, not sure why as I have .22 Hornets and .223s, but I want a good one, the Savage 340 in .222 I have has left a bit to be desired in the accuracy department and was wondering if these are any good.

If I understand correctly, this is the same rifle sold under the name Howa and Weatherby. I've heard they are made in Japan and are pretty decent rifles, if this true? He's asking $350 and it has a cheap scope and four boxes of ammo. I haven't seen it yet. These don't seem to command high prices and I suspect a .222 isn't going to sell fast as ammo isn't real easily available like the .223 (he also has a .223 rifle for sale).

Any thoughts on these rifles?

Boolit Master
    As you may or may not know the triple duece years back before the beginning of the introduction of the PPC cartridges held just about all the bench rest records. Kinda like when the earth, moon and the stars all align kind of thing. I had a Sako Vixen and a Rem 40x single shot and that was one of the easiest cartridges to load for. IMR 4198 and the long discontinued 50 grain match bullet made by Remington. So if the barrel is in great shape I'd say go for it. If you get it use the Rem 7 1/2 primer with the copper colored primer. That too was THE primer to use. As long as you don't hotrod it the barrel should last a good long time. Think with the 50 grain bullet was about 3200 feet per second. Sierra make some great 22 centerfire match bullets. Frank

My friend had a custom bench rifle built on an XP100 action in .222. It would put 5 shots in a 1/2" target dot at 100 yds if you could. I had a 700 VS .222 that was brilliant but lost out to the 22-250 on prairie dogs. And we had a 700 ADL .222 that disappointed on paper but took every varmint, Turkey, and deer it was ever pointed at. IMR 4198 was the only powder we used in the tres dueces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I never heard any complaints about the S&W version of the Howa, and I never had any complaints about the Howa's or Weatherby Vanguards I had. If you have the expendable funds, I would buy it.

As for the deuce, I liked it and wish I still had the 788 that would put five rounds under a nickel at 150 yards. The Savage 340 wasn't quite as good.

Fed 205M and early 90's version of AA1680 behind a Hornady 50 grain SX was what mine liked, although the sticker on the stock had a 4198 load when I got the rifle.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I believe Howa had a recall for a bad bolt weld? about 15-20 years ago. I owned one and would have no problems with another if it was in a caliber I wanted.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

smith and Wesson, howa and vanguards for a time were the same thing. Only thing different today is weatherby still uses the howa action on there vanguards but uses there own barrels. I had an early howa and a smith and both shot real well.

Boolit Master

My son just purchased a heavy barrel 308W barreled action from Brownell’s on a recent sale. I’m impressed by the quality of the rifle, especially for less than $300.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

My early S&W's (I've had 3) were rebranded Husqvarna's, based on the cock-on-opening Small Ring Mauser 98 (not the cock-on-closing Model 96), which is very different than the Howa-based rifles.

My hunting partner has the later S&W/Howa in .243 which is fairly accurate, just not as smooth as my Husqvarna.

Either way, IMO $350 is a very nice price (for you) - especially if you're happy with the chambering.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have two of these, maybe three (but I'm having a brain fog right now), a S&W Mod. 1500 in .30-06 and a Dickison-Howa Golden Bear in .30-06. Both are better than hunting accuracy rifles, maybe hand-sized groups at 100 yards, but not target rifles. I really like them. Great workmanship, great appearance. The only reason that they have stayed in the dark for a lot of years now is that I learned that when you get to the top of the hill you're wishing that 8 lb. .30-06 bolt action was a 6 lb. lever action! A past friend ordered a Howa action from a distributor and built a very accurate .22-250 in my shop, little tiny groups; so it's all in the bedding and barrels, custom touches usually not found in off the shelf rifles. But, I give Howa high marks.

Boolit Buddy
    i have the heavy barrel 308 when it was labeled as S&W model 1500. shoots lights out (3-5 inches) at 500 meters with sierra 168's and imr4895.

Boolit Grand Master

I have one in 7mm Remington Mag, it's in a Brown Precision stock and a cheap Bushnell Elite 3200 scope, accurate enough but still heavy even with the synthetic stock.
    Charter Member #148

In Remembrance

A friend of mine got a 1500 S&W from a friend needing money. I was working up loads for this rifle and noticed on the barrel`Made by Husqvarna`.Robert

I have one in 223 and it was made by Howa, great rifle, accurate and shoots 556 with ease,

Boolit Master
    Take me about 30 seconds to have the cash in his hand.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    A guy has one for sale locally in .222. I've wanted a good .222 for a while, not sure why as I have .22 Hornets and .223s, but I want a good one, the Savage 340 in .222 I have has left a bit to be desired in the accuracy department and was wondering if these are any good.

If I understand correctly, this is the same rifle sold under the name Howa and Weatherby. I've heard they are made in Japan and are pretty decent rifles, if this true? He's asking $350 and it has a cheap scope and four boxes of ammo. I haven't seen it yet. These don't seem to command high prices and I suspect a .222 isn't going to sell fast as ammo isn't real easily available like the .223 (he also has a .223 rifle for sale).

Any thoughts on these rifles?
    They are fine rifles. Since you’re in Kansas, there’s a chance I sold it when it was new. I sold a pile of them when I worked for Rusty’s in Wichita.

The model 1500 Howa was badged as Mossberg 1500 as well. Mine was purchased in 1988...

Boolit Master
    I remember Rusty's Outdoor Sports! Went with my dad all the time. Pretty sure my Winchester M70 came from there. Small world. The Howa Mini Action package im saving my nickels for is the one with the Nikko Stirling scope with adjustable parallax and a heavy barrel.

I've never heard a complaint about Howa rifles and my wife's Howa M1 carbine factory sporter is flawless. Same for every Weatherby Vanguard I've ever shot. (.223, 22-250, 30-06, and .300 Wby.) That's a good deal on the .222 Rem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

This thread got me to thinking about my 1500 S&W, I went looking and found it in the back of a safe. I think the last time it got taken out was 4 years ago I shot a 4x4 Whitetail buck with it, cleaned the barrel and put it up. The old OD camo paint has plenty of chips in it, scope has a couple scratches. I don't think this rifle has ever missed a game animal, scope must be decent because plenty sure it has never lost zero in 15 years. I think it is time for a make over or at least a new paint job for the stock. Gee thanks guys!!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

New paint nutmeg with black webbing and 2 coats of clear matte. While I was at it I bought a Burris Fullfield II Ballistic Plex scope and a set of Leupold rings. Now all I have to do is get out and sight it in!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New paint and new scope.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	233680
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast