RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: A little 336 Marlin 35 Remmy help please

Boolit Master

A little 336 Marlin 35 Remmy help please

Good evening fellas. I was out finishing my Christmas shopping and was in local gun store (needed a break from normally shopping) when I saw a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
    First I noticed no cross bolt safety.....second I noticed the “waffle top” receiver.....that prompted me to check the rifling.....yep, no microgroove rifling. I started to get excited. Dating the serial puts it to be a 1952 model.

Now comes the part Im not quite sure about and need your help.
    After cycling the action, the hammer was cocked, I pushed on the back end of the bolt with it in battery and saw the bolt move forward Im gonna say .020”.
    In my mind I thought this isnt right and there may be some unsafe headspace issues.
    I checked my 35 I already own and the bolt doesnt move forward at all.

Am I right by saying this older 35 has problems? Or do I need to go back tomorrow and buy it? Lol

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 12-14-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Without a casing in there it will move and give the illusion of a head space issue. IMO

I doubt it is a headspace issue. It headspaces off the shoulder...and you probably didn't have a cartridge in it. I suspect the bolt block is worn or the bolt itself is worn. Both can be remedied with getting some new parts. It could also be just the lever tang that goes into the bolt is worn.

I would buy it if the price is right...meaning $350-375 max. Point out the issue to the LGS...see if they will come down to this price range.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I got up and checked, all of mine move just a hair when empty. Hope that helps

Boolit Master
    The one in question moves A LOT more than a hair. Im hesitant, the tag says $500, I doubt they would entertain even $400.
    Cometically its looks great!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Take an empty casing and ask if you can test if ,,,that is , if you really want it. To me, I would not pay that. Over the past 5 years I have bought 7 Marlin 336's. Only 1 was for $400 and it was like new in the box. JMHO

Sounds like too much to me too...I would pass that one up.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I dont think they will allow a case to be chambered.
    But hey, Lets pretend they do. So I chamber a virgin case (I have plenty), then test the bolt movement?
    Or whats my plan of attack?
    Ive wanted a ballard rifling 35 and this looks great, but I dont want to buy a problem.
    Another thing I kinda find odd is the magazine is the full length style. Not 2/3 or 3/4 length of the barrel like Im used to seeing. Meaning, it looks more like the newer style 336 rifles
    "In GOD We Trust"

With the case inserted, it should be a tight lock up..

As for the configuration, I am not that well versed in the older years. Look up Marlin years of Manufacturing, that one should have a letter preceding the number. It will list the styles that it was made in in those years.. All of mine are Micro Groove and are tack drivers with cast..

I have a waffle top 336-35 Rem. Absolutely love it. Mine is the model with hooded front sight and 2/3 mag. tube with pistol grip. Mine was well used and needed the lifter bent to feed shorter rounds or it would jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I dont think they will allow a case to be chambered.
    But hey, Lets pretend they do. So I chamber a virgin case (I have plenty), then test the bolt movement?
    Or whats my plan of attack?
    Ive wanted a ballard rifling 35 and this looks great, but I dont want to buy a problem.
    Another thing I kinda find odd is the magazine is the full length style. Not 2/3 or 3/4 length of the barrel like Im used to seeing. Meaning, it looks more like the newer style 336 rifles
    Sounds like you are looking at a so called "Texan", especially if it has a straight grip. If a Waffle Top Texan, $500 is top dollar but it is a less common gun. As for the bolt movement, if the extractor is broken or weak, the bolt can move a bit as there is little or no pressure against the back of the barrel when the bolt is in battery. I doubt you have a head space problem and the movement would not stop me from making the purchase. Without seeing the gun one can not be positive nor can one define the difference between a hair and a lot. Ask the shop to gauge the head space.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 12-15-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Good evening fellas. I was out finishing my Christmas shopping and was in local gun store (needed a break from normally shopping) when I saw a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington.
    First I noticed no cross bolt safety.....second I noticed the “waffle top” receiver.....that prompted me to check the rifling.....yep, no microgroove rifling. I started to get excited. Dating the serial puts it to be a 1952 model.

Now comes the part Im not quite sure about and need your help.
    After cycling the action, the hammer was cocked, I pushed on the back end of the bolt with it in battery and saw the bolt move forward Im gonna say .020”.
    In my mind I thought this isnt right and there may be some unsafe headspace issues.
    I checked my 35 I already own and the bolt doesnt move forward at all.

Am I right by saying this older 35 has problems? Or do I need to go back tomorrow and buy it? Lol

Thanks guys
    Lefty,

First: Long time no see.

2nd, I know someone who is looking for a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Could you PM me the name of the gun shop if you haven't already bought it or intend to?

Thanks,

Boolit Master
    Hahaha, geez....I went back to where the rifle is located with a VIRGIN piece of brass. When I asked to inspect the rifle closer (at the same reaching in my pocket for the case) the salesman saw the case and FREAKED OUT! Im not exagerating one bit. He wouldnt let me explain what I wanted to do without interrupting me. Haha, he made me feel like I was holding a live grenade or something.
    I understand store safety policy and all but lets be sensible about this also. He also told me they arent even allowed to remove trigger locks and levergun locks. And not allowed to cycle the action.
    Anyway, I asked if he had wiggle room on the price and he came with with $50 off. I said it wasnt enough!
    Headspace issue or not, I wont be spending my money there today!

Its not a Texan straight grip rifle.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    I appreciate the help and suggestions guys. Ill keep looking for one.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    sounds like that store does not want to sell guns. two of the most successful shops I ever knew would let you shoot used rifles. they had ranges out back.

Boolit Master

A dozen or so years ago finding a nice Waffle top 336 for 300 Bucks was easy. Seems like any of the good ones start at about $400 and go up from there. I have 4 an RC and a SC in both 30-30 and .35 Rem. Nothing fancy just a well built solid rifle a 1950 working man could afford. That said they possess a fit and feel that is rare in the new gun market.

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion and I don’t claim to be an expert but I currently have approximately 30 MARlins, including what I believe to be a prototype as it doesn’t t have a serial number or loading gate it’s a tube feed in 35 Remington. $450 is not out of line for that gun. It sounds like an RC(20 inch barrel with full length mag) The description makes it hard to diagnose the actual issue but there really isn’t much to go wrong with a Marlin and of things do go awry it ain’t hard or expensive to fix. the 35 Remington chambering is my favorite in the 336 line and kills much better than what it looks like on paper. They shoot cast or jacketed well and mine are more accurate than I am. My truck gun is a modified 336 cut to 18 inches large loop lever, a ammo carrier cheek piece combo, 550 cord sling
    And fitted with a 2-7 leupold scope. All the gun I will need in any situation I am likely to encounter.
    PS the guns from the 50’s are the best of the bunch.
    Last edited by fordwannabe; 12-16-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Funny that we are all stingy when it comes to 336’s but we will easily pay double that or more for a cowboy 1894.

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Funny that we are all stingy when it comes to 336’s but we will easily pay double that or more for a cowboy 1894.
    Some y'all might but not this poor country boy..

IME an unmolested waffle top is worth more than the $500 asking.

And, yes - that GS has abominable customer service skills, and if it were near me, I'd NEVER patronize them more than once.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride