MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.5” #00 buckshot loads

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    ...please fill in just a bit more about the load, gun and choke:

What pellet stack per layer did you use? (I suspect 3 per layer).

What was the actual diameter of the BPI Nickel Plated 00B pellets used?

What shotgun and Buck Kicker choke constriction was used?
    Gun used was a Mossberg 835.

Load was 18 nickel-plated #00 from Fiocchi pulldown loads.

I used 38 grs of Blue Dot, 1/2” fiber wad, 18 pellets stacked by 3’s, 3.5” Federal hull with federal primer, thick Mylar wrapper on the inside, and BPI original buffer just enough to barely cover the top of the first layer of buckshot. I put a 12 ga overshot card to create a nice crimp.

Haven’t measured the OD of the buckshot. They are lighter than my cast buckshot.

Here’s the specs on the choke tube:

http://www.kicks-ind.com/product/BKUltiMag12g.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The primer showed a little flowback. You could probably reduce the charge by a grain or use Steel.

Recoil is strong. Very strong.

Boolit Master

When BT says strong, very strong, I think that means dislocated shoulder for the rest of us!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    When BT says strong, very strong, I think that means dislocated shoulder for the rest of us!
    Brother, it’s stout. By no means am I the least bit recoil sensitive. This is what I do.

This is a perfect heavy brush hog load. I’ll be using these next year.

I don’t believe I’ll use these on deer, or at least Texas sizes deer again. It’s a little much.

Might do the trick on Midwest/Canadian deer.

Normally on the rare occasions I gun hunt, I never remember the recoil. I’ll remember THIS recoil.

Boolit Mold
    BT,

Nice performing load and nice doe.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

Boolit Master
    Any idea of what velocity you are getting?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Any idea of what velocity you are getting?
    1190 fps avg

Boolit Master
    I dunno why but I got intrested in 12 gauge 3” buck and slugs this past season . And this thread has darn gotten me to talk myself into a 3 1/2” semi auto . Maybe before I go that route I’ll scratch up a decent Belgium A-5 20 Mag 3” and give that a go .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I dunno why but I got intrested in 12 gauge 3” buck and slugs this past season . And this thread has darn gotten me to talk myself into a 3 1/2” semi auto . Maybe before I go that route I’ll scratch up a decent Belgium A-5 20 Mag 3” and give that a go .
    Sucker for pain?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Sucker for pain?

I had a Benelli SBE and NOVA years ago for buckshot . The SBE wasn’t bad but the NOVA would shake your fillings . You might be on to something thou ! I recently got back the Ruger #1H in 416 REM MAG I owned before .

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have to be in pain. A 10 gauge is what you want for the big payloads. Don't bother with an H&R or Marlin supergoose 10. You can readily find the Browning BPS, Ithaca/Remington mag10/sp10, or browning gold. It always seems so weird to me that the same manly men who flinch bad, but love the 3 1/2" 12 gauges in the light guns, also scoff at the 11+ pound 10 gauges as too heavy. I beat myself senseless with my Nova and other light pump guns, until I realized I couldn't shoot without flinching. I doubt anyone honest with themselves can. 2 ounces of shot in my Ithaca Mag10 is no worse than 1 3/8 oz in most 12 gauges. I wouldn't want to take it up a mountain, but 11 pounds is not too much to carry for a mile. Anyone in decent shape can do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You don't have to be in pain. A 10 gauge is what you want for the big payloads. Don't bother with an H&R or Marlin supergoose 10. You can readily find the Browning BPS, Ithaca/Remington mag10/sp10, or browning gold. It always seems so weird to me that the same manly men who flinch bad, but love the 3 1/2" 12 gauges in the light guns, also scoff at the 11+ pound 10 gauges as too heavy. I beat myself senseless with my Nova and other light pump guns, until I realized I couldn't shoot without flinching. I doubt anyone honest with themselves can. 2 ounces of shot in my Ithaca Mag10 is no worse than 1 3/8 oz in most 12 gauges. I wouldn't want to take it up a mountain, but 11 pounds is not too much to carry for a mile. Anyone in decent shape can do it.
    Over time I've had a Remington SP-10 , an Ithaca Mag 10 Field Grade , Ithaca Mag 10 Deluxe and a Browning BPS 10 . Also had no less then fourteen side by side doubles for the 2 7/8" 10 all American or English made . If I ever get another 3 1/2" 10 it'll be an Ithaca NID 10 mag . But I seem to be doing okay with the thirteen double 10's I have at the moment .

For what it's worth I'm after a Parker 4 frame 10 gauge top lever hammer gun with 34" barrels !

Have one in sight now whether I'm able to make the deal or not is most certainly another matter !

I'd certainly like another Benelli SBE III but I don't wanna pay the price . About 15 years ago Beretta was making the Black Onyx 686 O/U 12 gauge with 3 1/2" chamber and I hefted a couple of them but Beretta's have never quite felt good to me . About the same time Browning was making a Citori Sporting Field I think it was called with 3 1/2" chambers if I ran up on one of those at a price somewhat south of a "G" I'd be interested provided it was in good shape .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 02-13-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12