Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one smokeless powder forever, what would it be?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    8mmfan, I and probably many others answered the literal question. I will elaborate a bit as it seems you may actually want to standardize on 1 powder. I load many more pounds of powder in upland and target shot shells than rifle or pistol. When I load rifle or pistol, plinkers and light target are 50 to 1 over hunting loads. I have 6 or8 rifles and ,of course several pistols that can get hunting level performance from shotgun powders like unique, herco, and blue dot. I chouse unique because the others( bluedot and herco) are for heavy loads in shotguns, I can buy the 1 box of those I need a year, but not the 1000s of small gage target loads. Unique is not ideal for any one of my uses but usable across the board. I actually could ,comfortably, standardise on promo,20-28,2400,rl7,and 4895. Notice Unique is not in that list, it's a compromise. I do keep 8pounds of unique, most always, and use it in a good many loads.
    If you,as you name suggests, shoot lots of 8x57 then you may be better served with another powder, or maybe, just maybe 2
    Hi RKing, thanks for that. Over the years I've used and/or tried quite a few different powders. I do use a number of different powders for several cartridges, gauges, and purposes. I agree with what you're saying--narrowing down to only one powder it current conditions would be unnecessarily counter-productive to perfect load development across all scenarios. My main curiosity in posting the question was simply what the choice would be for the single, one do-all powder choice of this really knowledgeable sample of reloaders that frequent the cast-boolit forum. And yes, I do love the 8x57. I've done some casting and shooting for it but my primary shooting with 8mm's has been reloading jacket bullets for it for hunting. I won't publish the load I finally worked up for my scoped Yugo pushing Nosler 180g Ballistic Tips, but it's a (nearly) tack-driving cannon. I'm currently working on getting a "good enough" load for it using the LEE 175g and Karabiner bullets. Some little success with those but not good enough so far.

I'm just dumbfounded that I never tried Unique or Red Dot over the last couple of decades. If for no other reason than broadening my horizons and experience, I am going to get some Unique and Red Dot and try them in several applications in 2019. In the future, if powder choices become scarce again, but a guy wants to stay in the game with all of his/her various shooting hobbies, these two powders really seem to be a good choice to have a few containers on hand.

I'll say it again: a big thank you to all of you for educating me on my favorite hobby.

8mmFan
    Last edited by 8mmFan; 12-16-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I guess none of you Unique lovers use Dillon machines?

If narrowing down to one I could be content with either Bullseye, TiteGroup, WST or 452AA.
    452AA is fantastic. Alas, my supply is down to dregs. I inherited a very nice supply a few years ago. I've made great use of it in 40, 10, 38, and 45 auto.

Regarding Dillon presses, I don't specifically have a Dillon, but I have loaded thousands of rounds on my Pro 2000 press. True that Unique does not meter as consistently as others (like 452AA), but it has never been enough to notice on steel or paper. In my experience, at least.

Boolit Master

Unique
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think any one single powder will cover the spectrum of cartridges that I load. But, Unique will cover more than any other. It would be a compromise in some calibers but would shoot.

Well that would suck when you say rifle, pistol & shotgun. Just about any powder can be adapted to work across the diff calibers but I honestly think it impossible to get good results adapting pistol powders for high vel rifle rounds. So I would need two as a minimum. Probably Unique or an equivalent for pistol & 12ga if I reloaded sg, & something like RL15 for rifle.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    452AA is fantastic. Alas, my supply is down to dregs. I inherited a very nice supply a few years ago. I've made great use of it in 40, 10, 38, and 45 auto.

Regarding Dillon presses, I don't specifically have a Dillon, but I have loaded thousands of rounds on my Pro 2000 press. True that Unique does not meter as consistently as others (like 452AA), but it has never been enough to notice on steel or paper. In my experience, at least.
    WST Tater.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    catastrophic!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Yeah, I have WST in the wait. You saw my thread on another forum. I'll be using up some of my WAY too many open containers, then I'll jump into WST.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    got to go with unique. as far as metering i weigh every load so that is not a major problem.

Boolit Man
    isn't 452aa the older version of TRAP100 ? I have 2 pounds left and its the best 45 acp powder I have.
    If I only had 1 powder its hands down Unique.

I've got to join the Red Dot crowd. Been using it for 25+ years and its my go to powder. Yup...I have about 15 other types in my stash...but by far I've purchased more Red Dot than any other.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    catastrophic!
    I agree...it sure would be.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Only one powder?
    I would consider quitting the pastime. I want it my way or no way.
    I think Unique is pretty good for a range of handgun ammo and is good for 20 ga shotshells.
    12 ga needs Red Dot for high volume target shooting otherwise buy cheap promo ammo.
    A single powder for centerfire rifles is a nonsensical notion.
    My range of calibers requires 3 or 4.
    Those include
    1. 4227 or 5744 or SR4759 or 2400
    2. 4895 or 4064
    3. 4350
    4. 4198
    EDG

For me it will be what powder I am able to get if it comes to that when I am out of what I have on hand. I can not bring it to just one powder right now.I use Unique ,Red Dot,2400 ,IMR 4064 the most. I use IMR 4064 for my rifles and the rest mainly for hand gun and shotgun.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Trapper, that is the worst case that I want to avoid. When things get hard to get, the least useful are what is available. I keep a full 8lb of a fast shotgun , medium shotgun and fast rifle powder all the time. When I open an 8, I start planning to pick up a replacement. Been doing that for decades, kept me from paying scalper prices on components or 22s for that matter. Didn't buy much of anything but Titewad to keep my son in skeet ammo during the drout of 2012 era. Titewad, european shotshell primers, and h870 was easy to find. Unique and 2400 were real scarce! Best to pick a few powders that you can live with and keep a solid supply if possiable. Have a friend that likes to experiment, he went thru lots of partial 1lbcans of misc powders, now buys 8lb of shotgun and 4 lb of 4895. Live and learn!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Man
    I have shot quite a bit of Unique, lots of Blue Dot but during the great powder drought I tried some BE86. I stocked up on that because everything else was unavailable. Not as universal as Unique but gets the job done!

Sixteen gauge shotgun and low vel rifle plinker is what I've been shooting most often for the past ten years. Both Green Dot and Unique have worked well in these applications.

Boolit Buddy

I have to say Hodgdon Universal. I use it in all my pistols and revolvers.

I hear that Unique is dirty.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I load rifles from 222-264 and on over to 45-70 .
    I load pistols in 380,9mm ,38/357,45 GAP/ACP/S&W/Colts .
    I load shotshell in 410,20,16,12,&10 .

Unique would do it all I has done it all . Really though it would take 3 . 410 the 06' clan , gas gun cartridges , and that belted mag drag Unique under the bus . Gas guns run great on 2-3 that would work in well in the 308& 06' family but not so well in the Mag and those that work in the Mag , 06 , 308 family but not so much for the gas guns .

If I throw out gas guns or the Mag , then 2 will get me full range . If I dump them both then Unique is the workhorse , jack o trades .

Little tip on Unique . Get the loads up over 13,000 psi and it cleans right up , at 15,000 , max 12 loads , warm 38s and 45 Colts , and there's almost no soot either .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

No matter what I try, I always circle back to Red Dot. I have Unique on the back shelf.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast