Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailboss 45/70 loads

Boolit Buddy

Ive heard various things about it:
    1) its only for softer shooting loads
    2) you can use a nearly full case, some advise against compression, but give no reasons why.

3) Allegedly, you cannot really get enough in a case to be dangerous? Its still a smokeless powder, so i'm a tad skeptical.

Having used it in 45-7- and 30-30, I find it makes good mild loads. so does unique though, and unique can make midrange loads too.

Boolit Master

When Trail Boss first came out, I called IMR and asked if it was suitable to use in a .43 Spanish Rolling Block. Yes, the man said. I could load an equivalent load by volumn of black powder or load a 75 to 80% case capacity but not to load heavy enough for the powder to approach too close to the bullet. It should never be compressed. He stressed that. He said the powder was developed to produce low pressure loads for Cowboy Matches. I have been using it in my roller since and have had no problems and it was normally loaded with a slightly heavier load of black than the 45-70--(78 grains for the .43 vrs. 70 grains for the 45-70). I had one fellow tell me that it should not be used in a 30-30 under any circumstances but I tried it just to find out if he knew what he was talking about--he didn't. my experience, james

Boolit Grand Master

Its even more fun with collar button loads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odette View Post
    do the barrels heat up faster with TrailBoss and get real hot?
    No, I use TB in my 303's for training juniors and the low report and recoil combined with the safety and lack of heat make it perfect. I have shot 20-30 rounds in a string at gongs no problems, can't do that with any other powder.

Boolit Mold
    I'm loading the LEE 405 gr. HB in my NEF Handi Rifle 45-70 over a 4.0 LEE Dipper of TB, according to the data I can find that is 18.4 grains. The bullet seats to just kissing the powder and I can shoot 1 inch groups all day at 100 yds. with no punishment to the ole shoulder. Have no idea how fast it's flying but it will be my mid range deer rifle in areas where I used to use a 30-30. Also wanting to get into these Florida swamps and knock a few wild pigs down with the same load.
    Last edited by buglump; 11-08-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention what powder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12