Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: OK to leave a electronic scale on?

OK to leave a electronic scale on?

I use my Gen 6 almost daily. It's not a big deal to to turn off or on. Turning it on does require a 3 minute and a calibration check which isn't a big deal either. But does it matter if it's left on? I alway check the calibration a couple of time a day anyway. It's plugged into a APC UPS Backup.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I will leave mine on if I expect to use it in the next day or 2. It keeps the unit at operation temperature and ready to go. My loading space does not have any environmental control, other than open a window in summer and fire up the diesel salamander in the winter.

Then only concern I have about it, is adding age wear to the display. But, my Dillon is 15 to 20 years old and the display is still fine.

Boolit Master
    Mine is battery operated and turns it self off if not used.

Boolit Master
    I leave mine plugged in and turned on. The only time it gets turned off is when the power goes out. This has been my SOP for the last 10 years at least...

And contrary to the information that came with it, the fluorescent lights don't bother it...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I leave mine plugged in and turned on. The only time it gets turned off is when the power goes out. This has been my SOP for the last 10 years at least...

And contrary to the information that came with it, the fluorescent lights don't bother it...
    Lights do not seem to bother mine, but a cell phone within 4 feet will make it drift like mad!

Boolit Grand Master

Even if left on I would check it when I came back to it. Any time I walk away from the bench or am distracted, I recheck the scales ( I normally have the check weights at the charge Im throwing in a tray there) and weigh a few thrown charges. Older electronics had a longer "warm up" time and leaving them on was more beneficial to them. But it still can be a plus to leave them on.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would plug it into a surge suppressor...but I am anal.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

W/ it being plugged into a UPS I wouldn’t worry. Depending on how many watts it is you will be able to reload for a very long time if the power goes out

Boolit Grand Master

I leave my GemPro 250 on all of the time. It's attached to a surge suppressor and has an online interference thing.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Dillon that is fifteen or twenty years old that I never turn off. It takes many weighing cycles and quite a few minutes, before it would stop drifting. Sent two back to Dillon before I figured that out. Have a PACT, that came with an automatic powder dispenser that I have had for more than ten years. Never turn that one off either. No surge protector on either and have never had a problem.

Boolit Master

Left mine on for over a year without using it one time. Recalibrate and go. The only concern I have is the transformer - will it last? There is a secondary market for both new and used transformers. so if mine "blows" I can replace it with one that is suitable for each of a.) the power cord's socket into my scale, b.) voltage, and c.) current.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I turn mine off, just because........ I know a few guys that never turn them off and have no problems. Surge protection or a UPS is a good idea. I didn't think about a cell phone affecting the scale however my T-8 fluorescent fixture does not affect mine.