MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication PBcastco
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 AUTO Makes Me Happy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    I’ve killed several deer with the lee 200swc just like that, the furthest shot was 35 yards, it looked like someone poked a sharpened pipe through that deer it was impressive, I was using VERY soft alloy almost pure with some tin added I think it was 7-8BHN
    Out of a handgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit I find .45acp a bit intimidating in a handgun. But it a Carbine, Yeowsa, what joy!

I know most won't brag about a Hipoint period. But I love my Hipoint Carbine in .45acp.

Even with just a Red Dot scope it was turning in very acceptable accuracy from 50 to 100 yards. That's all I need. And for hunting the thick stuff, can you say "Made to Order?"

Boolit Master
    Out of a carbine, with a gain of 200 fps or more over a pistol, you are talking about a decent deer rifle out to 50-75 yds.
    I would consider that a humane brush gun with the right load.

+1 on the hi-point . Dad has the 4595, it's great.

I was hoping for a close shot this morning.
    200 swc in my Ballester. The deer didn't show up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Here is a fine cartridge. My number one round for a semi-auto.

Attachment 232061

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject.
    Agreed, that bullet shoots great through every 45 Auto I own.....(I have a couple....)

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Being able to affordably feed a Series 80 Gold Cup was how and why I got into casting.
    I use a Lee 200 SW 6 hole mold and a old RCBS SW 190.
    When I first got the Colt, a buddy who is a jeweler had all the right stuff to polish the rails & throat.
    I reduced the load down and use a lighter spring to try and make it last forever.
    It gulps and swallows anything you put into it.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-30-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Have been shooting the Lee TL 452-200-SWC's PC'd @ 900 FPS (really good round) for a long time and wanted to try their TL-452-230-RN's. @ 832 FPS (seems like lighter recoil than the 200g.'s) This is the experimental color batch...really want a color that says FMJ but my clear copper PC is a bit anemic looking.

I mixed a bit of red with the clear copper hoping to rich it up but I think I overdid it a lil'bit.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

A lot of SWC feed problems come from the magazines, not so much the ramp. But the RN -374 (for example) will feed forever. I used MANY -460's when I became a civilian and Uncle Sugar wasn't providing my ammo any more, and had absolutely NO problems, after I jacked the BE load from 3.5 grs to 3.6 grs. No problemo...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I really need to get a short video showing how easy a 1911 is to control, with just your thumb and trigger finger touching the gun.

You do need the grip safety disabled (as you're holding the pistol as low in your hand as possible, to reduce muzzle flip), and an extended safety and beavertail safety (probably.) Then you lock it down with just your thumb, and just touch the trigger with the tip of your trigger finger, it's usable as an accuracy drill to see if you are pulling the trigger properly or not. If you didn't disable the grip safety, it'd probably put the gun on safe, so you disable it to make sure. (And you make darn sure people have GOOD habits on the gun safety rules, not trusting a safety, not crossing others with the muzzle etc.!) You don't want a limp wrist for this; I've seen a tiny gal do this and she was doing fine, the 1911 would flip up, of course, when fired, but she'd just bring it back down on target and fire again.

A hot 44 Mag load, that can hurt your hand; a factory 45 ACP load, not so much.

I did have an issue with recoil from a 1911 45ACp. After practice, I learned to get used to it. In my defense, I do have arthritis in my wrists and fingers. Not disabling but troublesome.
    I find I can handle recoil from hot 45ACP, 44 special, and 357magnum without much trouble. Anything more just gets too painful and is no longer fun to shoot.
    I might as well hit myself on the wrist with a ball pein hammer. It would be just as much fun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I have some arthritis all over, now; Light, fortunately, so I think I'll be OK short of 44 Mag hot loads, which always hurt "a bit"; I expect they'll sting more now. I do plan to soak hands in the Paraffin bath I got some time ago, though to a large extent I use that to warm my hands up in Winter, instead of to reduce pain LOL

Ball Peen Hammer on hands = OW, no bueno!

Boolit Master
    Taken when I was considering selling some CBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    also my favorite. love the 1911 platform, and love the 45acp cartridge.
    Ditto. Just makes me smile thinking about it. LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123