MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 AUTO Makes Me Happy

Boolit Master

45 AUTO Makes Me Happy

Here is a fine cartridge. My number one round for a semi-auto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bZkpFSO.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	232061

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 12-14-2018 at 12:47 PM.

I tried several hundred rounds that looked just like those in my Springfield Trophy Match last year. No mater what I did there were feeding issues. Gave up on the SWC's and went back to round nose and had 100% success. I am getting ready to cast a bunch of round flat nose to try now.

Boolit Master
    What boolit is that? I really like the Lyman 452630 (200 gr. SWC). Very accurate and perfect function in CZ 97 and G21. But I admit....G30 and 1911 do have issues.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed_shot View Post
    what boolit is that? I really like the lyman 452630 (200 gr. Swc). Very accurate and perfect function in cz 97 and g21. But i admit....g30 and 1911 do have issues.
    h&g 68

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 12-14-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee clone of that bullet in my Springfield Armory Range Officer, loaded to OAL of 1.227 and have not had issues with feeding. Unfortunately some 1911's just don't like SWC bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Those are some nice ones but I always had issues with SWC so I went back to FMJ and never had a feed issue after that. Nice looking boolits though!

Boolit Master
    That looks identical to the loads I use, with absolutely no feeding or shooting issues in my S&W model 1917. Its the most accurate cast projectile I have ever used in that firearm. So I cast plenty of them!

Boolit Master
    I have a hard time deciding witch I like better 185 or 200 gr swc .

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, some guns don't feed SWC bullets consistently. My RIA 1911 will digest anything I can fit in the magazine, but my Ruger P90 will have 2-5 failures to feed per magazine when 200 gr SWC are loaded...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have a 230 fr rnfp I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    I tried several hundred rounds that looked just like those in my Springfield Trophy Match last year. No mater what I did there were feeding issues. Gave up on the SWC's and went back to round nose and had 100% success. I am getting ready to cast a bunch of round flat nose to try now.
    How to solve your feeding issues with cast bullets in any 1911 pistol;

1. Remove the barrel from you pistol.
    2. Mail it to DougGuy (PM him on this board) for his full treatment. He will throat the barrel, polish and contour the feed ramp as needed and re-crown the muzzle. The charge is $60.00 which includes return postage and the turn around time is just a few days.
    3. Put the barrel back in your pistol.
    4. Any round that will feed through your magazine will now feed 100% in your pistol providing you used a proper taper crimp.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

That is my goto bullet in 45ACP. If it does not feed well... then off to the dremel to polish the ramp and it will feed well!

I load them in my plinking Norico down to about 575 FPS and up to full house for my other guns. Love the hole a SWC leaves, my old eyes can see it from the firing line!

I've put easily tens of thousands of the lee 200gr swc out of a Colt, Springfield, Kimber, a S&W 4506, and a thompson 1927A1. Likely close to 100k just out of the colt and 4506. Makes me happy too, even though I load for other pistol cartridges including a .355"x.754" that a lot of guys dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Here is a fine cartridge. My number one round for a semi-auto.

Name:	bZkpFSO.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	232061

Yep x 3; Lee clone of that one seated just like that over 5grs of Bullseye every day. Yes, I shoot a lot of factory ball as well but the 200 swc is the favorite. Someday I hope to take a bow range deer with it.

Super Moderator

I have 3 versions of that same basic mold, the RCBS 201 SWC, the Noe H&G 68 clone (5 cavity), and the Lee version (6 cavity). Of the 3, the RCBS 201 SWC is my favorite. It doesn't rain boolits like the other two, but it's easy to cast with and casts a perfect boolit every throw. All of them are as accurate as I can shoot, and feed fine in all my 1911's. I also load them with 5 gr Bullseye. It's a true classic design.

My RIA loves SWC. I also us the Lyman 452630 (200 gr. SWC). I have a 6 cavity MP clone coming. That Iron mold is getting a little heavy in my older age.

Boolit Buddy
    I find H&G 68 clones to be very accurate. I have Saeco PB #68 which shoots great but it will not feed reliably in my FNX45. I recently purchased CZ97 and they work great in that gun. Some guns are just more picky then others but #68 is a great bullet for 45acp.

Boolit Grand Master

I get the most puzzle look when I tell people I'll take 45 ACP over 10 mm auto any day. "You must like 1911's." Nope, I just think 45 ACP has it all over 10 mm. 10mm is no slouch when sending 200 grain bullets at about 1150 fps, but a 45 ACP can send a 255 grain bullet out at 850-900 fps, at 1/2 of the pressure. Brass is everywhere for free, guns are often hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Banned

What post #11 says

Boolit Buddy
    Saeco #067 230 grains from old wheel weights, 5.0 grains Bullseye. Feeds in everything I own, shoots well. See no reason to change.

Name:	45-230-LTC.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	232070

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast