Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 6.5 Grendel

AR15 6.5 Grendel

I'm gathering parts for a 6.5 Gendel assembuildy. Does anyone here have experience with this cartridge? I'm not planning on boolit use since I have CB friendly rifles aplenty. I'm using a 20" barrel, the main use will be stand hunting and target. Advice welcome.
    Thanks,
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No experience personally. Best Grendle test site I have seen is Johnny's Reloading bench on you tube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ7...CQnRp9LXXxinJQ

Boolit Buddy
    I just put my ar grendel together but havent shot it yet. Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend.I have an Odin barrel. I was able to shoot one earlier this year and was very impressed with the Odin barrel. We zeroed the scope at 100 yd and I was able to hit a 7.5x9.5 target at 300yd 5 shots in a row with hornady black ammo. his scope had a 223 drop plex that was right on with that ammo. I will let you know how mine does at the range.

Yes.
    I built one with a 16" FAXON barrel and brownells bolt/carrier.
    It's a lot of fun.

It runs fine with my old 6.8SPC mags

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

That's encouraging to say the least! Derek45 I have to ask- how does the Wolf ammo shoot? You mount your scope forward as I prefer, too. Great shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That's encouraging to say the least! Derek45 I have to ask- how does the Wolf ammo shoot? You mount your scope forward as I prefer, too. Great shooting.
    I mostly used the wolf garbage to test function and break it in,...it shoots better than I expected.

107gr SIERRA Match and IMR 8208 works well

thanks

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Noe make a 6.5m mold for the Grendel. Get barrel with twist rate of 9 or 10.

H4895, and reloader 7 and 4198 are all good powders to choose.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Wolf is very good "break in" ammo IMO. I have the 1-8" barrel in hand already. My .30 Carbine satisfies my boolits habit for a semi auto; my 1-7" .300 BO hasn't shown any promise with CB so I doubt I'll try cast in the Grendel at all. 30-30, 8x57mm, 38-55, and 44-40 work so well with cast for me that I'm not looking to aggravate myself at all. Derek, I've already entered your 107gr Sierra load in my notebook! Thanks for the replies; keep them coming.
    Thomas

Boolit Master

Been shooting cast bullets in the Grendel for several years now and all i really ever shot in them. My old barrel was a custom Blackhole weaponry barrel with a 1 in 9 twist that shot nickle sized or better with cast at 2000fps. Saddly accidents happen and that is a paper weight now do to safety issues. Slapped to gether a bargain barn new grendel upper with cheap midway special barrel. It has a 1 in 8.5 twist and my velocity is about 1550 fps with about an average 1.5 moa. Some days gooder some days worser. Well pleased and happy with the fun gun.

With a 1 in 8 twist barrel i cant get accuracy above 1400 fps. With that 1 in 7 on your BO i would be surprised if you could get over 1200fps. Might want to try shooting a big ole cast bullet at 1200 fps and see what happens. With the way i have been seeing accuracy and velocity nodes in my own guns there is a definate pattern. I am saving now to order a custom Grendel Barrel from Krieger with a 1 in 11 twist. I want to build a nice Grendel for 200+ yard shooting and hunting. Then i am going to build a wolverine. Wolverine barrels are all ready offered in 1 in 11 twist. My gut tells me i can hit 2400fps with a 1 in 10 or 1 in 11 twist barrel.

But, in case that fails, I did the calcs and a 1 in 11 Grendel barrel will adequately stabilize my NOE 6.5 Grendel bullets at about 1600 fps in case my goal of 2400fps fails.

I am going to rebarrel all my guns yo the slowest twist rate i need to stabilize my bullets at 1600 fps. Its suprising how we are using so much twist.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I built up a 6.5 Grendel from parts using a 24 inch barrel, a side charging upper, A2 rifle buttstock. etc. I put on a 6x24 scope as well. But I never thought about shooting cast bullets in it. I have a couple of bullet molds, I might have to give that a try later. Anyway, it seems to shoot just fine. But I have only used it to poke holes in targets so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 Grendel AR15_09.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	232096

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5 Grendel AR15_10.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	232097

Boolit Master
    Satern/Liberty barrels shoot extremely well IME especially in this caliber. What do you plan on hunting with it?

Will post pics of the 0.33MOA group from the Libety 6.5G barrel later.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Deer. Pigs, coyotes and other varmints. I'm sure it will end up heavy so it won't be used for still hunting or stalking. In the blind watching the feeder will be it's forte. As with all AR15 cartridges, it's "almost" something else- in this case a .250 Savage- so I think it will be great.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 24" barreled HBAR weight barreled upper and a heavy varmint barreled upper from Model 1 sales. Bought the Model 1 upper new, at a gunshow, cheap, figuring I could turn it, but no luck. Good think I couldn't as started shooting it and Benchmark and 90gr Speer bullet cluster into tiny groups with holes touching! Pretty accurate considering the poor trigger on the gun and the trigger pullee

Boolit Master

My son has a 6.5 Grendel he bought from a coworker that was also his Sgt in the Marine Corps. He had it built for competition, with the 6x fixed scope it will print clover leafs at 100 yards, I did so the first time I shot it, 3 rounds all touching, less than the size of a dime. I was impressed.

Model 1 Sales barrels are from ER Shaw. I have tried for years to get them to sell just a barrel; but no dice.

Boolit Master
    I have a Radical 24" Grendel I built that shoots sub MOA out to 300 with factory Hornady 123gr. Awesome round.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3n3q261hv9...6.5%20Gren.jpg

3 shot 6.5 Grendel 100yard group from 18 inch Satern/Liberty barrel.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

My blackhole weaponry barrel was sub moa with cast bullets. My Satern barrel is good enough for plinking and hunting inside 100 yards. Krieger said they would make me a custom AR barrel.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

The parts pile is growing.

Boolit Master

That reminds me.... i need to buy a vice soon. After building a few ARs and plan on building two more. I thinks it times i get one. Sneaking the one at work probably isnt wise.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast