WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Melt or Pro Melt 2?

Boolit Buddy

Pro Melt or Pro Melt 2?

I'm just getting started into casting and need a decent bottom-pour pot and am not particularly interested in a Lee. RCBS and Lyman are the 2 most likely contenders at this time and I found someone selling a new-old-stock RCBS Pro Melt (the older one, not the Pro Melt 2) for a good price. Which would you recommend; the old model or the new model and why?

Boolit Master

I have the original Pro Melt and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. It doesn't drip, and holds temps well -- even without the benefit of a PID.

grab that old pro melt as fast as you can !!! If you dont want it, sell it to me

I have a 30+ year old Lyman Mag 20 that works just fine, but I bought a RCBS original model Pro Melt just recently. The Pro Melt appears to be well used, but I probably will leave the Lyman on the shelf for a spare. I love everything about the Pro Melt. I can see the spout much better to align the mold for a pour and never get the overflow I got with the Lyman. BTW, I built a PID as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I can get the original Pro Melt for $150 plus shipping (he said probably $20 or so). My concern with the Pro Melt 2 is that the digital controls are so close to the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    I can get the original Pro Melt for $150 plus shipping (he said probably $20 or so). My concern with the Pro Melt 2 is that the digital controls are so close to the heat.
    Buy it, if you decide you prefer a pid, youll have NO trouble selling it, Id buy it !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Buy it, if you decide you prefer a pid, youll have NO trouble selling it, Id buy it !
    Thank you, I'm communicating with the guy now.

Boolit Master
    I have an original pro melt sitting around as backup because the Pro Melt 2 holds 5 pounds more lead and the PID sensor is built in rather than a probe.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I have had my Promelt for the last 35 years, only problem was the heating element went faulty which RCBS replaced for free. I added a PID which did make a significant improvement, so if the new one holds more alloy plus the PID is built in........I would certainly consider the new model, my only concern could be the built quality since the original model was built like a tank

It took me nearly a year to get my Pro Melt 2 I bought from an online source...but I LOVE it!!!
    If I found a Pro Melt for a decent price, I’d definitely get it for a backup.

Boolit Master

I have the original RCBS Pro, would not give it up! Mine is straight out of the 80's, have replaced the cup and needle 1 time. I did build a PID for mine a few years back and really like the way that works. I am not sure I would get one integrated into the device, if it fails... you are down. If mine fails, I plug the pot into the wall and use it until parts come in to fix the PID.

Boolit Grand Master

I have not used the newer one so this is just an opinion. My original ProMelt has been great. I expect the new one will be made in china. Only time will tell how well they hold up. I like the idea of the built in PID and I'm hopeful that the new ProMelt will be as good as the original.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I purchased the old Pro Melt and it should be here in a few days. Feeling good about my decision.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the original Pro Melts from the 1980's. Never had any problems with them, and they are used a lot. I hear there have been issues with the new Pro Melt 2. They are supposedly made in China, and the quality and standards of these, do not equal the original Pro Melts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    Well, I purchased the old Pro Melt and it should be here in a few days. Feeling good about my decision.
    No, I'd like you to feel BAD about your decision, so you'll be glad to let me take your mistake off your hands for the same money you spent.

ETA: I really like the original ProMelt I refurbished for cheap.Even though it must be twenty years older than the Lee I started out with, it makes casting sessions a lot easier. I have nothing against the ProMelt2; I just don't have any experience nor heard any firsthand reports on it from people I know.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, the ole Pro Melt came today and it's a purty little thang! As the guy said, it's indeed brand new with the parts bag still sealed, and the original receipt is still in the box from when it was purchased new in 2004 for $250. Also on the receipt are four J. Dewey brass cleaning jags and they're also included, still brand new in their individual bags! LOL
    Gotta say Merry Christmas to me!

Boolit Master

Congrats LeadHead!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wish I had read this before I bought my Lee pot.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have had a ProMelt for a while now, that replaced a Lee. I have built a PID and it just made the thing better. I used the PID with the old Lee too, but the ProMelt
    is a great furnace. I bought mine used but didn't get that kind of deal, but the guy I bought it from included a PID with it. I use that PID for a powder coat oven.

Boolit Master

I converted my Pro-Melt to a "pull-down" pour. I find it much easier to use with my twice cut rotator surgery on my shoulder.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast