Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45 LC load info for 230gr 45 ACP Bullets

Banned

45 LC load info for 230gr 45 ACP Bullets

I have some extra 230gr FMJ 45 ACP bullets and was wondering if any one either loads this combo or can send me in the right direction.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyracoon View Post
    I have some extra 230gr FMJ 45 ACP bullets and was wondering if any one either loads this combo or can send me in the right direction.
    Try 6.0 gr. Reddot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 grains of Bulleye under such a bullet was arsenal and factory load for billions of rounds and several generations. It still works.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    5 grains of Bullseye was the standard .45 ACP charge.

The .45 Colt M1909 load with 230-grain bullet used 7.5 grains of Bullseye and this would be a safe, standard pressure load substituting the 230-grain FMJ government bullet as well.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    These are to be used for 45 LC not 45 ACP.

Boolit Mold
    My 45 Colt load is 6.0gr Red Dot not my 45 auto load, but for my s.a.a.'s Very accurate, but I do use the 230 gr TC bullet instead of the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

get some revolver bullets with a proper crimp groove or cannelure

save the 230gr for 45ACP

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by Anyracoon View Post
    There is a possibility that, because the 230FMJ do not have a crimp groove, that the bullets may not be held in place just by the case tension. If they pull, they can lock up the cylinder.

I used the Lee 452-230 TL in the Colt case with 7.5gr of Win 231 for a really nice load But... l was able to use the top tumble lube groove as a crimp grove. You might choose to save the FMJ's for the ACP or you could give em a try and let us know what ya find out - what's the worst that could happen?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    There is a possibility that, because the 230FMJ do not have a crimp groove, that the bullets may not be held in place just by the case tension. If they pull, they can lock up the cylinder.
    With currently produced dies he should have no problem, as long as he uses the correct expander plug. Modern carbide .45 Colt dies size the brass enough to maintain correct neck tension and bullet pull with a .451" diameter jacketed bullet. My experience has been that they size brasss EXCESSIVELY if you intend to load .454-.455" diameter soft lead bullets for the pre-WW2 .45 Colt revolvers. The excessively-sized case, flared with the typical .4505" diameter (jacketed bullet) expander plug causes bullet base damage when trying to seat a soft lead bullet of larger diameter than .4525".

Modern .45 Colt dies by nearly all makers are correct for .45 ACP jacketed bullets, but not for loading traditional lead.

For older guns the RCBS Cowboy dies are somewhat better. The carbide sizer still sizes brass too much, but at least they come with two expander plugs. In my experience ALL .45 Colt carbide dies size cases excessively. For that reason I prefer my old circa 1950s steel dies and lubricate my cases when sizing.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    A problem that you may run into is with the overall length of the cartridge.

When you seat the bullet to deep enough to meet the over-all length specification, you may have the mouth of the case trying to crimp in front of the baring surface of the bullet i.e. on the ogive.

You can use 230 ball and seat farther out if you're planning to fire them in something like a Taurus Judge because the cylinder is very long to accommodate 410 shotgun cartridges. Other revolvers (or lever guns) will jam on/with the over-length seating.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricklaw View Post
    A problem that you may run into is with the overall length of the cartridge.

When you seat the bullet to deep enough to meet the over-all length specification, you may have the mouth of the case trying to crimp in front of the baring surface of the bullet i.e. on the ogive.

You can use 230 ball and seat farther out if you're planning to fire them in something like a Taurus Judge because the cylinder is very long to accommodate 410 shotgun cartridges. Other revolvers (or lever guns) will jam on/with the over-length seating.
    230 th May be exciting in a lever gun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    With currently produced dies he should have no problem, as long as he uses the correct expander plug. Modern carbide .45 Colt dies size the brass enough to maintain correct neck tension and bullet pull with a .451" diameter jacketed bullet. My experience has been that they size brasss EXCESSIVELY if you intend to load .454-.455" diameter soft lead bullets for the pre-WW2 .45 Colt revolvers. The excessively-sized case, flared with the typical .4505" diameter (jacketed bullet) expander plug causes bullet base damage when trying to seat a soft lead bullet of larger diameter than .4525".

Modern .45 Colt dies by nearly all makers are correct for .45 ACP jacketed bullets, but not for loading traditional lead.

For older guns the RCBS Cowboy dies are somewhat better. The carbide sizer still sizes brass too much, but at least they come with two expander plugs. In my experience ALL .45 Colt carbide dies size cases excessively. For that reason I prefer my old circa 1950s steel dies and lubricate my cases when sizing.
    I had my machinist buddy gin me up a new, larger diameter expander plug for this very purpose. Took him about 10 minutes.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    In my experience ALL .45 Colt carbide dies size cases excessively. For that reason I prefer my old circa 1950s steel dies and lubricate my cases when sizing

I absolutely agree with you, so I do the same as you do.