Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingPBcastcoWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagant revolver

Boolit Mold

Nagant revolver

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can fire 110gr. M1 bullets out of a nagant revolver and what the reloaddata is for titegroup (powder) for these bullets?

Boolit Master
    I can't help you on the powder load, but you can probably get away with using the 110gr bullets. They might be a little loose in your barrel depending on how tight the tolerances on your gun are. My Soviet made Nagant has a groove diameter of 0.314", so a 0.308" bullet is probably not going to have the best accuracy. Yours might not have this problem.

Here's a thread on another forum that talks about using 110gr bullets. He got decent accuracy with those bullets, but was having issues with his powder choice. Maybe titegroup will work better?

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...volver.137009/

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd wonder if Paper Patching would help? Bit of a jump between the cartridge and the rifling though, so probably iffy... 6 mils to patch though.

Boolit Master

I reloaded the Nagant cartridges using a carbine crimp die to close up the case mouth enough to work with the mouth going into the rear of the barrel. I got fair accuracy with the carbine bullets. Paper patching should work ok if you reload Nagant cases. Would have almost no jump from the cast to the rifling.

It would help to know if you are shooting real Nagant cases, or if your revolver is modified to take a shorter 32 case. I have had fun with my Nagant pistol in original dress. I started out loading with the 30 carbine dies and used what I had which was the .30 Hornady half-jacket 1oo gr. I used 5.5 gr Unique and a WW SP primer for that load. After I acquired the Lee 30 cal 100 gr mold, I used those boolits, but had trouble with the boolits sliding forward during recoil, since there is no crimp, and the lube I was using was fairly slippery. When I switched to Lee Liquid Alox, and later Ben's liquid lube, that problem was eliminated due to the stickiness of the lube. I wasn't finding any book load data, so I extrapolated from the data for 32-20; started low and worked up. I have used a case full of 4f black powder, which worked fine but requires a lot of cleaning. I would try to use the original full-length cases, if I were you, but if it's been modified for an alternative case you might not have a choice.

If anyone has load data for the bullet and cartridge you asked about, it is most likely empirically derived, and you could just about work up a load yourself if you are sufficiently experienced. If you are new to reloading, you might ask for a mentor from this forum to talk you through it over the phone. Just an idea.

Wayne

PS: I see that you are in Belgium. If you have access to standard 7.62x38R brass, that will make things a little easier. Also, you may want to correspond by email instead of phone.
    Last edited by WRideout; 12-17-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Mold
    Hey,i use .223 cases reformed in a M1 die

Boolit Buddy
    I slugged mine and now generally use cast bullets meant for 32-20 or 32 pistols at .312". Using actual PPU Nagant brass and 32 S&W dies. Lee Nagant dies weren't to useful except the seating die.

That said I had decent results with jacketed bullets measuring .308".

What a weird little gun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIePW1wYZds

Looks fun, though.

Boolit Bub
    What dies are people using? I have Lee ones and I tried using different kinds of brass and had so many problems. Problems ranged from the shell holder to crimp.

I sorta want one, but sorta don't LOL

Been told it can shoot the .32 S&W cartridges, and .32 H&R Magnum rounds.

I've seen where folks were using the RCBS 3-die set (It may be discontinued now?) RCBS #: 56272 UPC #: 076683562722
    Or just buy a CH4D Die set: https://www.buffaloarms.com/7-62-nag...d-4d7-62nagant

http://armedbutnotdangerous.blogspot...mr-nagant.html talks of reloading as does https://www.shootersforum.com/handgu...el-1895-a.html among many others...

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee dies and load the starline 32/20 brass. I used to seat the bullet deep in the brass, but then decided to seat it long enough to just clear the when the cylinder rotates into position. I load 4 grains of Unique over the Lee 314 TL bullet. Pretty much a 32/20 load. I have 9 of these and they all digest that load very good.

The only advantage with this die set is a bit longer brass life, as once the shoulder is bumped out of the 32/20 brass, it gets worked a bit less when resizing each time.

Boolit Mold
    do you think Unique is comparable with Titegroup????

Titegroup is almost as fast as Bullseye; Unique is a noticeably slower powder. They will both work well in the right loadings, I sure wouldn't try to say that you could use the same loading data for each, though.

I have been using the RCBS 30 Carbine dies, which are fine with the full-size cases. As I understand it, the Lee dies are meant for the shorter 32-20 cases, and don't do the gas seal. The taper crimp die for the carbine set is fine for reducing the case mouth to fit in the forcing cone (or whatever it's called.)

For the past few days I have been working on modifying a single .223 case to Nagant. It is slow and tedious. In a few months work, I could make a box of shells. It would help a lot if I had a lathe.

My standard load using Starline 7.62X38R brass is the 100 gr Lee 30 caliber, sized .311 and lubed with liquid alox. 5.3 grains of Unique, and Win Small Pistol primers. In the past I had trouble with lube that was too slippery, and the boolits would back out during recoil; the alox cured that.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Mold
    indeed a lathe would be useful,i use a smal file,but it takes a lot of time

Boolit Buddy
    The little bit gained by the gas seal is very, very minor. You can get 500 Starline 32/20 brass for a hundred bucks and some change. Not bad considering how long that'll last. They also ship for free.

Quote Originally Posted by vagrantviking View Post
    I slugged mine and now generally use cast bullets meant for 32-20 or 32 pistols at .312". Using actual PPU Nagant brass and 32 S&W dies. Lee Nagant dies weren't to useful except the seating die.

That said I had decent results with jacketed bullets measuring .308".
    Have you had any trouble with your cylinder binding up with cast bullets?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Have you had any trouble with your cylinder binding up with cast bullets?
    Steve
    Not at all and have gone hundreds of rounds between cleaning.
    Where are you thinking there would be a problem? I'm using full length brass so there is no gap at the point where the cylinder butts up to the forcing cone.
    I looked at using 32-20 brass but the thicker rims bound up the works.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Trail boss 2.7 gr, Nagant brass, lee tumble lubed .32 cal boolit, Bens liquid lube and a combo of lee's dies plus 30 carb dies. I like the way trailboss fill's the cases.

Boolit Mold
    does anyone knows the powder LOVEX?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast