Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Simply Rugged All American vs Flap Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Simply Rugged All American vs Flap Jack

I am looking for a holster for my GP100 for Hunting and general outdoor carry. I would like a holster with a flap. I see Simply Rugged has these two models with a slight difference. The Flap Jack looks to have the flap attached on two snaps, and can be removed. It would still have a hammer strap for retention, but the flap is supposed to allow a draw without having to open it. The concerns I have with the Flap Jack is the flap either coming off, or more importantly, does it get in the way under clothing. I have no intentions of wearing it IWB, but in the winter it will be under a jacket or inside Bibs. Under clothing like this, can the flap still pivot out of the way to draw? On the All american, the flap would serve as the retention, and I am leaning towards this holster. The thing that draws me to the Flap Jack is the ability to remove the flap, which may or may not be any use to me. What are your opinions on each?

Again, a matter of personal preference. I don't think my notions on the subject would be anything other than my notions. I do know that you can't go wrong with anything Rob Leahy at Simple Rugged makes. All his products are not only well made, but well thought out in design.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got two of his holsters, that's why I'm going for a third.

I think trying to draw from a full flap holster under coats and bibs is not going to work. Why a flap if the gun is already so protected?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I think trying to draw from a full flap holster under coats and bibs is not going to work. Why a flap if the gun is already so protected?
    Because it won't always be under clothes, only in the winter. I've got a regular open top holster now, and I can tell it will do some damage over time when walking through brush, bumping into stuff, especially working in the garage. I'll take protection over convenience in this case.

Groo here
    The flapjack style has been around a long time in various forms.
    1/2 flap,3/4 flap or full flap.
    The snap was a simple way to allow the flap to rotate up and clear the gun but later allowed the flap to be removed.
    The mill spec flap holster is just an outside in the weather pocket to protect the gun with no thought of speed of draw.
    After the " War of Northen Agression" [as my southern friends call it] many of these holsters had the flaps removed.
    Get the flapjack, it is much more adaptable to the conditions.

Boolit Master

If your going to be carrying a Rifle wile hunting I would think about getting a cross draw holster so when your walking with your rifle
    slung on your shoulder it wont hit your pistol also it's a lot easier to sit in a tree stand or on the ground with a cross draw holster
    just something to think about
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

I'll second what Char-Gar had to say.

I own probably 5 Simply Rugged holsters and two of his Real Man belts. Great craftsmanship and American made. I've had the pleasure of knowing Rob probably close to 10 years now. You won't meet a finer fella. He's a veteran and gives generously to our troops as well.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

I think you guys are right, the flap jack is more adaptable. After giving it some thought, that is the one I'm going to order. I rarely wear jackets for most of the year, so the flap will help tremendously, and in the winter, I can remove it. If I decide I don't like the flap at all, I'll still have a pancake holster with a hammer strap.