Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 Spl. using RCBS 44-250-k bullet and these powders.

Boolit Buddy

.44 Spl. using RCBS 44-250-k bullet and these powders.

My S&W 696 three inch barrel, shoots great (accurately) using my cast RCBS .44-250-k bullets and 6.9 of Unique (very accurate but too hot for what I want), and Red Dot. However, I only have one pound containers of Unique and Red Dot whereas I have eight pound containers of Bullseye, Titegroup, and Clays that I want to use up. What I am looking for (if one can actually have two masters), is a very light and accurate load using those three powders and the 44-250-k bullet. Note that if I wanted anything hotter (hunting, etc.) than a gallery load, I would just use the 6.9 grains of Unique or Red Dot.
    So, what I am asking is, have you found an accurate, light, target load with those powders in your .44 Spl.?

I regularly shoot 5 gr of bullseye behind the Lyman 429421 in my specials and mags. It's my usual bumming around load. I load tightgroup almost the same, But be advised according to hodgdon the max is 4.8 in the special for tightgroup at 13100CUP. The bullseye load is actually one of elmers recommendations from "six guns" as a target load. I've found the tightgroup to shoot just as well.

Boolit Master
    5 grains of Clays is a great light load for 250g 44 boolits. But it's going to be Slow finishing that Keg. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    ...according to hodgdon the max is 4.8 in the special for tightgroup at 13100CUP.
    Also, that listing is for 240 grain bullets...the RCBS 44-250-k is a lot heavier than that. Hodgdon does not seem to have a load for Tightgroup and 250 +grain (I have not weighed them yet...they may be even heavier than 250 grain as cast) bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    5 grains of Clays is a great light load for 250g 44 boolits. But it's going to be Slow finishing that Keg.
    Light, but how accurate have you found it to be?

Boolit Grand Master

I use that very same RCBS 44-250-K loaded over 5 gr Bullseye in W-W 44 SPL cases for 750 fps out of my 4" Colt Anaconda. Excellent load.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
    Light, but how accurate have you found it to be?
    Better than I've seen anyone shoot. LOL But that's how it should be.

You can bracket that a grain or 2 and see what works for you. (5 grains of Clays) I have 4-6 inch barrels.

(All the other stuff has been done too. I have 3 250g Keith's all fit to the guns which have matching throats, etc)
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 12-13-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Mold
    Clays works well in 44spl.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomj44 View Post
    Clays works well in 44spl.
    That does not tell me anything I did not already know. I am looking for a specific load that others have found to be light but also accurate. Generalities do not feed the bulldog.

Here from my kindle hornady and Lyman manuals Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F8D89DE-B847-49B4-90D1-4A224EF30EBF.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	232042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B4B8C95-FAAB-471C-8479-981C706563EE.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	232043 yes some a j word but close in weight

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I use 6.4 grains of Unique with cast 250 gr. bullets. Works very well in my Taurus 441 and my Uberti Cattleman.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I use 6.4 grains of Unique with cast 250 gr. bullets. Works very well in my Taurus 441 and my Uberti Cattleman.
    Not a load with the three powders I have listed in my original post.

Boolit Buddy
    So when an experienced loader describes a load as "great" accuracy is part of what makes it great. Any accuracy claims (group size or whatever) given will only apply to that person's gun so they really mean nothing to you and your gun. What is your definition of accurate in a 3'' revolver? Why the need for such a light load? 44 special is pretty mild anyway. I know you already own the mold but if you really want to go light a 200 grain bullet will work better than trying to make a heavy bullet load mild.
    You should just load up 10 of the recommended Bullseye powder loads and go test them.
    You have to do the work at some point to find out what works for you and your gun.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Any accuracy claims (group size or whatever) given will only apply to that person's gun so they really mean nothing to you and your gun. What is your definition of accurate in a 3'' revolver?
    That is the conventional wisdom of many handloaders. Nevertheless, I have found that the old "accuracy loads" published in Lyman's manuals were almost always very accurate when I duplicated them in my guns. If that be the case, then it is not unreasonable to expect that maybe, just maybe someone's minimum load may turn out to be likewise accurate in my gun...it could save me a lot of shooting AKA, "testing"(its too cold to shoot much now in Michigan...was looking for a short-cut, I missed my warm weather shooting/testing season due to chemotherapy). My definition of "accurate" in my 3" revolver is good enough to consistently hit a steel bowling pin (same size as real bowling pins) at a distance of 50 feet. Many of the groups loads I have already tried (bench tested) are a hair too loose for that distance and size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    # grains of Clays is a great light load for 250g 44 boolits. But it's going to be Slow finishing that Keg. LOL
    Maybe that load is in a 44 Magnum case!

Hodgdon list 3.2 to 4.0 gr of Clays with a 240gr LSWC. I would definitely start about 3.0 with the RCBS 44-250-KT. That said, I love Clays; but would choose Bullseye for this application. Way more data and probably 100 years of experience in 44spl.
    (No way I would put titegroup near the forcing cone of my $$696.)
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I love Clays; but would choose Bullseye for this application. Way more data and probably 100 years of experience in 44spl.
    I have used Bullsye (and Unique and 2400) since 1963 in some of my cast bullet applications. However, the data and 100 years experience assumes that Bullsye is the exact same powder it is from what it was in the "old days"... it may not be the exact same thing ( It was made by Hercules back in those days, etc.) The 2400 of today is very different from the 2400 of "back then" as are many powders.

(No way I would put titegroup near the forcing cone of my $$696.)
    You have peaked my interest. Why do you say that about titegroup? Is it known to burn so hot as to cause forcing cone erosion? Even in light loads? Do you not use titegroup at all?

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye and 2400 of today made by Alliant is the same formula used by Hercules "back then". The only variation is normal lot to lot variation as it has always been since their initial manufacture. Testing, both chronograph and pressure testing, have conclusively proven that not to mention Alliant stating they did not change the formulas.

That there is a difference in a myth propagated by a gun rag author and perpetuated on the internet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Interestingly, I've been using Unique that is likely from the late 50s. I would have to pull down some ammo to take pics. It is noticeably different in appearance than the current Alliant powder. Similar shape and size, but the old stuff looks smoother and more plasticky. Almost glossy. That being said, I detect no difference in performance or velocity.

Boolit Master

7.5 gr AA#5 under a 200 gr. RNFP is mild and accurate in my Bulldog.

Boolit Master
    op thinks that's hot!

try 34 grains of mag powder under a 440 grain boolit out a S&W .50 cal. 500 mag.
    it'll set you back a step or two and hurt the ole hand as well. managed 5 shots in as row ...then had to put it down for a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast