RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 30-30 case life

30-30 case life

I have a couple batches 30-30 im working with. Both have around 6 or 7 loadings on it. I've never annealed any of it, nor have I lost any to necks cracking yet. Most of the loadings were full power loads, some with jacketed projectiles, but most with cast. One batch is federal, the other is winchester.

What kind of life without annealing does 30-30 brass generally give?

I have a single winchester case that i've loaded and fired 12 times, keeping records on that case specifically. I marked it with a file, and keep it separate, but load it each time I load 30-30, or whenever i'm in the notion to do a single. I originally loaded it without trimming, to measure the length it would grow each time, and how many loadings I'd get between trim to length and max length. I got 10 loading.

All of this is with lyman dies. I know that a somewhat reduced load, or even a starting load will be much easier on brass than a full power load. Im wondering what to expect both with and without annealing with max loads though.

Thanks everyone.

~Bazoo

Post script, I full length size.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-13-2018 at 12:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    Not exactly a response to your post but here goes. rem 700 Sendero with a heavy barrel. Had one lot of 308 cases 50 in all that had been loaded 10 times. 40-41 grs 4895 with a 168 grain Sierra Match King. So not exactly a ***** cat load. Just neck sizing until resistance was felt closing the bolt then a partial full length resize then neck size after that. Never could get that 308 to shoot any where near my Savage 110FP in the same caliber. Did have to glass bed the Savage under the front receiver ring and install a pillar as the front screw was chewing up the plastic rynite stock. then it would do 10 shots in a 1 1/4" group with M118 special ball old 168 grain bullet. I'm guessing your 30-30 may be a lever action?. Funny thing about 30-30 cases fired in a lever action. I used to scrounge 30-30 cases at our range. Would see rounded shoulders at the shoulder and junction of the neck and shoulder. My guess is that some of the rifles/carbines had been chambered with worn reamers. Bought a bunch of once fired win 30-30 cases that came from the Winchester facility, every one had nice even and almost well defined shoulders and case necks. Have heard that saying that lever actions are springy. Every one that I have Marlin and Winchester don't exhibit that saying. I have one of the Canadian Centennial octagon barreled carbines. Well north of 600 factory rounds and cases look great. Have the same Canadian Centennial rifles with the 26" octagon barrel but have not shot it yet. In a good bolt action or single shot rifle that old 30-30 with the 168 SMK shoots extremely well. Well my ramblings ore over, have fun with the 30-30. Frank

I've loaded 30-30 since 1972. The brass needs trimming every so often but lasts as long as any other cartridge and longer than hyper velocity rounds.

Boolit Master

Depends if you Full-Length size.

I don't for any .30-30 Load. I Partial-Size only. My loads fit my H & R Handi-Rifle, Marlin 336 and both Winchester 94's.

I can't remember the last time I lost a case. Even using full power loads.

I trimmed all brass when new or once fired. I crimp every round the same way, every time. So when I do lose that rare case, It's mouth splits.

I load using an OLD LYMAN 3 die set from the early 1960's. I use that seat/crimp die for lead bullets.

I have another much newer RCBS seating die ( late 1970's) for J-bullets.

For whatever reason, if you don't full length size .30-30 cases, they just seem to last forever. Trim but rarely.
    Necks don't seem to thicken either.

All my lead or J function & fit in all my Rifles. Although I tend to not put Spitzer loads into the magazine's of my LEVER Guns.

And I went way past the question.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have 12 sets of 30-30 brass. The newest has 13 reloads and the oldest has 20 reloads. Once in a rare while I have lost a case or two die to neck cracking-- but its very rare. I use a full length die but back it off a little so that it is mostly just resizing the neck.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I have more than a few Peters and REM-UMC that are still being loaded and they are probably 50 years old.

Boolit Master
    100 maybe more loadings at least it you don’t go wearing it out cleaning it and sizing the **** thing.

Iv’e ended up having to partially resize my cases occasionally after lots of loads after they become too well formed to the chamber.

It happens when you drop one or eject it clean across a concreted slab.

Iv’e ended up paper patching my bullets so they are a light fit in the case neck.

Breach seat some loads and use a 308403 as well for fun.

If you anneal and only partially size your necks just enough and don’t go silly on the powder the primers will tend to fall out first.

My experience anyway using a single shot of dubious repute.

Boolit Master
    I bought an NEF Handi Rifle when my youngest son was maybe two or three years old, back in 1981 or so. I don't recall any brass having to be discarded. I did have to learn to load on my own, so I got quite a few lube dents in the shoulder area, but they ironed out. Just this past fall I had the rifle rechambered to 30/30 A.I. and every now and then when fire forming I'll get one that will burn a hole at the new neck/ shoulder area. Not many, and I check then after each shot. Of course, they are probably 35 or so years old now.....

I never did try to anneal them.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Given I full length size, and shoot full power loads mostly, I doubt I'll get 100 loadings.

Thanks for all the advice on this. Interesting for sure.

Boolit Master
    Well if you just full length size just enough or your rifle to chamber your fired shell then they will last a lot longer than sizing down to a minimal chamber and blowing them out to a big sloppy one all the time.
    Maybe if the action is flexing that much you should consider down loading your charge a bit and swapping to a lower pressure powder.