Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cartridge suggestion recommendation

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Best thing to do would be to set your parameters and create your own .30 cast boolit wildcat.
    .30 because there are lots and lots of molds to experiment with.
    Make the case neck long enough to hold lube grooves.
    Rimmed case, not too long so it fits lots of actions.
    Shoulder design that's easy to form.
    Select a case to start with that is plentiful and not likely to go scarce.
    Go with a medium range case capacity for the bore diameter so light loads with slow powders and heavy loads of slow powders are likely to work.

Then there's the really hard decision about what to name it.
    Something really spiffy, something that rhymes.
    And if you do this you are likely to replicate something that's already done.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

For cheap plinking, I use the BO - which works fine for hogs as well. Accuracy is fine with cast. I have a 1:8 10" pistol and 18" 1:10 carbine. Both shoot 100 to 185gr boolits fine, 18gr 300blk is hottest I've gone. 50 yds 145gr PB H110, scoped
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCN_0106.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	232430
    pistol 25 yds, hand held, no scope.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCN_0179.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	232432
    You an go 40WT which just gives more powder space for shorter throat or 41WT(300Hmr), more powder and longer throat for heavier boolits.
    Not a deer hunter but 185gr GC @ 1600 should do the job well.
    I could use the 30/30 or AR10 308W for longer shots or go to lighter jax bullets.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Remington If you could find the correct bolt face...

Try your favorite .30 150-180 gr. cast in your favorite .30 cartridge (.308 Win or larger) with 10 grs Unique or 13 grs Red Dot.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 12-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    USMC 6638

Banned
    sounds like the ideal neck and case for a cast bullet .30 cliber cartridge is the 30-30.

Long neck hides the L.Gs., keeps a heavy boolit in the neck without a lot sticking out to get dinged up. Case capacity to get fps up for heavier boolits.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have the same wants. I have a Encore with 20" bbl with 1/10 twist. I like it but want a bolt gun. I have watched some auctions for 788 in 30/30 but they are pretty pricey. A CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with 22" BBL seems lime a good choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Another vote for the 7.62x39 in the CZ. No brass prep needed. And if you want to hunt with it, it will take pointed bullets.

But if you have a .308 bolt gun. why not use that as brass is not expensive? You will never save enough money in powder to justify a new rifle, dies, and scope Of course if you are looking for an excuse to buy another gun, ditch the idea of using what you have.
    Just looking for a new play thing. Not so much about cost. Low cost to load would be a bonus but not a requirement. Just looking for something that cheap to shoot in regards to ammo only.

Boolit Master

I pondered the OPs requirement over some lunch (bowl of navy beans n ham) and cheap to shoot came up cancelling alot out to make it cheap to shoot. I thought of some new fangled 17 super duper which would be cheap but generally muzzle velocities of these mighty mights put them in the store bought projectile column, as I don't think 17 cal gc are available and it would be more difficult to cast a 17 cal bullet defect free than 22, albeit consistant quality boolits and loads are tedious, they check off the box of cheap. I wouldn't mind though tinkering with a 17 HH though... hmmm.

My cast into the so called community pot would be two offerrings in 22. The reason is 3-1, i can cast 3-4 35-50 gr boolits in 22 compare to 1 for thirty cal, a lb of powder will dose 6-700 cartridges.

22 Hornet with a light for caliber bullet 35-50 gr, brass is readily available. If I had my druthers, I owe one and haven't gotten into cast bullets yet with it as it is a worn out Anschutz that is screaming for a new barrel. I've contemplated setting it back a thread and improving the chamber to extend brass life but it would be a home endeaver for practice as I think to gain the sub 1" accurracy I think it is capable of, it's gonn need a new tube. My other option is to try cast and would love to score a NOE 37 & 45 gr 2x2 mold (2pb x 2gc) to try in it and my 221.

221 Fireball. It is a smaller capacity case based of the 222/223 family. Actually it was invented first but was overtaken by the 223. Brass availability is difficult as when it becomes available it is scrounged up by the 300 whisper and 17 FB crowds. Factory Lapua is available and I'm dying to try some to compare with my 300 ho-made 221 from facory 223 brass. It is tedious, anealling will be required, cut, trim and turn case necks but it coud be a good task for the boys.