Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge suggestion recommendation

Boolit Master

I really like the 32-20, have 1889 Marlins and some pistols. Qualifies as a pistol round so I can use it at the pistol steel targets at 25, 35, 50 & 75 yd. Pure fun. Have to go to the rifle range for 308, 30/06, 30/30 with only 25 & 100 yd options on paper, no steel; still fun but not as much. If I had a bolt 762x39, I would give that a try but only because I have all the reloading stuff for it. Since the 32/20, 308, 30/30, 30/06 cases are readily available, I have plenty of them and they work fine, I stick to them.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Ruger American ranch rifle 7.62x39 new is less than 400
    Brass is easy to find and is more sturdy and forgiving than 32-20

Boolit Master

I have 32-20 brass that I have loaded over 10 times. I don't find it particularly more unforgiving than other brass...but that is my experience with my reloading techniques.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Rimmed cartridges have a slight edge with lighter loads
    How so ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Super Moderator

I think because rimmed cases don't have the tendency to push the shoulder back, due to "primer thrust". The primers can back out on light loads, and push the case forward and end up moving the shoulder back. It's generally only a problem when repeatedly using really light loads (think "cat sneeze"). Some guys will enlarge the flash holes to prevent this from happening in rimless cases that are used over and over again for light loads. It becomes a headspace issue.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-14-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    CBA records show the .30 BR. to be the most accurate cast boolit cartridge, it is for me as well, a much better cartridge than the .300BO.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For what you say your requirements are, I think the .30BR is something you should consider. The only question I would have would be availability and cost.

Banned
    This is a very interesting thread.

.30 caliber, bolt action, 200 yard max, target rifle, inexpensive, fun.

Wow, that's a unique set of criteria. My first thoughts were a Ruger 77/357 (not a 30 caliber but an efficient cartridge for the inexpensive criteria). In terms of economy, the 357 mag may be very close to doing what the OP is after.

Several have suggested a bolt gun chambered in .30-30 and that's not a bad choice either. I would want a smaller casing than the .30-30 but otherwise that appears to fit the OP's list.

It's a shame that no one makes a bolt action chambered in 327 Federal because that would be pretty close to fulfilling all of the OP's criteria.

The 30 Carbine would also be close but that's a rimless cartridge and I don't know of any bolt action rifles chambered for that round.

It would be VERY expensive but if you used a Ruger #1 action and a barrel blank with a .312" groove diameter; you could chamber it to accept a 327 federal mag. I think that would be a cool setup but it wouldn't be cheap.

BO with Hornady plinkers and 6 gr.CFE pistol are fun so the 100gr. soup can should work well. You can also go full bore loads as well. My 308 & 30/30 molds work well in the BO too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Ruger also makes the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .300 BO. Under $400 brand new, adjustable trigger like the Savage, magazine fed.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned
    How well does 300 BA work with round ball loads and all of those sub 1000 fps pistol bullets?

Boolit Master
    In accuracy the 300BO is not even close to the .30 BR.

I built my 1916 Oviedo Mauser in 30-30 Win. just to see if it would work. It shot cast well from the beginning and j-words too. It's one of my very favorite guns now. If someone told me a few years ago that I'd mount a 10x scope on a 30-30 I'd have thought they were nuts- yet here we are!
    The 30-30 in a good rifle will do what you need. And will do more if you need it to.

Boolit Master
    Savage Super Sporter in 30-30. Very classy rifle but not common.

Boolit Master
    I have a 30-30 handi rifle with 1:12 barrell
    It will do all I really need without making my teeth rattle and does well with low velocity cast loads as well.
    I like my 310 cadet and it is a hoot to shoot for me.

I would like to build a 30-30 Wesson on a cadet or a 32-20 mostly straight taper like the 310 in 30 cal. Call it a 310 magnum maybe.

Rook rifle weight and theme.
    I think with a good barrell it would shoot well.
    Be light to carry and not pound the ears shoulders or pocket to load.
    That could be said for many of the 30reece..badger..miller short size cases.
    Be fun to shoot 180’sgrns at subsonic speeds or 120 grn or smaller light loads for small game.

Some thing 4-5 pound be nice to carry too..

I ve shot a 376x39 zantava like the cz....it was like a 22lr to handle but’s lot more sting.
    They reckon the. Cz have a 308 bore which would be just awesome for bullet choices.

Many option out there.

Depends if you want to shoot lead slow or fast.
    For fun or prizes
    The bs pb boys do well at lower speeds out to 200yds.
    The open grades with hv gc bullets ain’ t bad ever.
    Me I don’t compete nor have the equipment to do such but is nice to know what is possible.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 12-17-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ohh have you thought about breachseating bullets?
    Brass will last like for Eva with out any need for anything more than a new primer and maybe a wipe over.
    Or the pope type tapered bullet.
    Stop ring bullet?
    Cast ...lube shoot.
    Reprime
    Dump a charge fingerseat shoot.

Just putting it out there.

Simply load anywhere with a hand tool and a scoop or powder thrower.
    Ha

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m surprised no one has brought up the 270?

I have a Baikal single shot 7.62x39, as well as a Zasatava bolt in that caliber. I made an SKS into a straight pull bolt. Great fun to shoot with light loads, cast bullets!
    I hope there is a gun range in heaven, otherwise I'm going to hell!

Best thing to do would be to set your parameters and create your own .30 cast boolit wildcat.
    .30 because there are lots and lots of molds to experiment with.
    Make the case neck long enough to hold lube grooves.
    Rimmed case, not too long so it fits lots of actions.
    Shoulder design that's easy to form.
    Select a case to start with that is plentiful and not likely to go scarce.
    Go with a medium range case capacity for the bore diameter so light loads with slow powders and heavy loads of slow powders are likely to work.

Then there's the really hard decision about what to name it.
    Something really spiffy, something that rhymes.

Good Cheer has just about nailed it.
    Go with a case length of just over 2 inches, and a powder capacity of about 30 - 35 grains.
    Then give it a real spiffy name, like 30 wcf, or thutty-thutty, because that is pretty much exactly what he has described.

I've got a 22, 32-20 and a 357, all in Marlin lever guns, and they do most of what I need. From time to time I find myself adding stuff to my wish list, but then I usually find a reason to delete them from my wish list.

Personally I don't see any reason to prefer a bolt gun over a lever, other than as a long range precision rifle.

If I didn't need a pistol caliber rifle for PCLAS I'd probably settle for a .22, a 219 Zipper and a 38-55 / 375. Add the 32-20 or 357 to that group for PCLAS and I don't see a problem taking care of 99% of the shooting needs of folks here in Oz, over there in the US, or most other places on the planet either. African big 5 excluded of course, but how many of us will ever get that opportunity anyway.
    Last edited by gundownunder; 12-21-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast