Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: H&R Springfield Stalker? Compares to?

Boolit Bub

H&R Springfield Stalker? Compares to?

I have been calling/looking around for a quality traditional muzzleloader. I hoped to find a good T/C or two in the >$150 range, and I have found a few to check out. But today I talked to a pawn shop owner who has a H&R Deluxe Springfield Stalker. I know these were expensive ($175 for the non-deluxe model) back in the early to mid-70's. Would you say that the overall quality is better than the T/C's of the 70's and 80's? Does anything in particular make this rifle better or worse than, say, a T/C Renegade or Hawken? I like that it's uncommon, but I am more concerned about accuracy and durability. This one is a .45, I'm guessing 1-48" twist.

AFAIK, they were made in the '70's, in .45 and .58, & used the lock that H&R used for their 1873 repops.

They have a LONG hammer throw and an extra notch to make things interesting.

They are quite well made and finished, but can occasionally misfire due to ignition channel issues.

They were issued with a silly telescoping ramrod design ILO a full-length RR.

Accuracy is up to the shooter.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    Pietro, thanks for the information. I have seen some other posts that echo the concerns about ignition and about the ramrod. Apparently the stock can't be drilled to accept a barrel-length ramrod- it gets into the lock area.
    I'm a little concerned about the durability of the telescoping ramrod. I want to use my muzzleloader for stalk and sit style hunting, and I can't imagine a good way to carry along an extra ramrod.
    I'm still curious about how the lock and barrel compare in quality to T/C. If either is significantly better than, say, a T/C Hawken, then these shortcomings may be worth the trouble.

The H&R sidelocks I had were comparable in quality to T/C locks; but IMO exhibited slower locktime - making it a little more difficult to connect on moving game.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

The cool factor can’t be discounted, of course, but for my money it’s T/C all the way. If you’re finding Hawkens for $150.00, buy all you can. They’re selling for about 3 times that most places.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...