WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: lee bushings

Banned

lee bushings

I understand the idea, quickly change out dies without having to reset the die each time you use. It works when it does work.

But what do you do when you get one of those BUSHINGs stuck in the press like I did with a brand new one this morning?

Boolit Grand Master

Is the bushing cross threaded or just screwed in so tight you can't remove it ?

If the latter , leave the bushing in the press and use the press like we did before bushings were invented....screw em in and screw em out....leave the stupid busing in the press.

If the former ....great big old pipe wrench...bust that sucker loose .

I don't believe in press bushings , these are things that aren't needed , cause you to spend money and sometimes damage you press....Now you have to spend more money....the reloading companies must think we are all fools to fall for this gimmick.

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    I really cant tell if its cross threaded or just stuck. I physically cant hold it in my fingers, the serrated rim is perhaps 1/16" thick, and SLIPPERY. and there is no way I can see to get a wrench on it.

right now im simply using it the old school way trying to get my rifle dies figured out and working. And that's after I went out and spent 4.25$ plus shipping on each die to have that stupid little bushing because I was forced to do so.
    One reason I went with the hand press..

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    I really cant tell if its cross threaded or just stuck. I physically cant hold it in my fingers, the serrated rim is perhaps 1/16" thick, and SLIPPERY. and there is no way I can see to get a wrench on it.

right now im simply using it the old school way trying to get my rifle dies figured out and working. And that's after I went out and spent 4.25$ plus shipping on each die to have that stupid little bushing because I was forced to do so.
    One reason I went with the hand press..
    Maybe screw in a die with a locknut, and tighten it down. Use a wrench and small mallet to gently tap it out.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

A Make sure lock button on the press is depressed fully, so that it CAN turn.

B Channel lock, or waterpump type pliers to grab that rim and turn it.

But I have to tell you, every single time I could not get a bushing out, it was because the button was not fully depressed allowing the bushing to turn. If it slips up in the process of turning it can catch the edge and wedge.

Last, once I figured out the problem, they all came loose with hand pressure.

In a couple of cases I had to tighten it slightly so I could see more of the button.

Boolit Grand Master

Is it bound up tight or will it "wiggle" a little each way? If its ight and wont budge then it may be to tight, dirt crud in threads, or cross threaded (this I doubt with the length of the threads it would be hard to get it all the way down). If its simply that tight a good set of channel locks should pop it lose. Make sure and get a good bite on it. Use increasing pressure to loosen it. A little light oil on the threads ( Kroil) may help if its got some dirt crud in the threads also. If this is the case it may take some force to break lose. If cross threaded in then it going to fight you all the way out and threads are damaged already. ( may be able to be repaired with a tap or thread restorer) I doubt cross threaded since this would have fought you all the way in also. Im guessing the to tight or crud here. If it has a little wiggle back and forth then the détente isn't completely down and sill locking it. A drop or to of oil on the tip of the sliding pin and soak, work it in and out with a punch by hand To free up loosen it, Push down all the way it not far enough some light tapping with a sift punch may persuade it. Work slow and easy, use force only if needed and only as much as needed.

If it was a thread problem it also would have been tight and hard to install

Banned
    they are always a pain to install without a die screwed in them. I have minimal finger tip sensation..

ive pushed the button down till I swear im crapping my pants, but no wiggle of any kind. Im thinking it lives there now. But if I can find those channel locks

Boolit Grand Master

Not familiar with that particular bushing assy., but I have installed/removed threaded bushing many times. I would screw in a die and lock the lock nut down tight (a wrench on the die and a wrench on the lock nut). Essentially you are "locking" the die in the bushing. You can then use a wrench on the die to remove the bushing.

But remember; "Righty tighty, Lefty loosy"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!