Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question for Lab Radar owners

Boolit Buddy

Question for Lab Radar owners

Hi guys.
    Wondering if the unit will work with 22 bullets very far? How bout bigger slow ones with rainbow trajectories? Do they drop out of the units area to read them?
    Thx

Boolit Mold
    I bought one several years ago and have used it on 220 gr subs in 30 cal. to 100 yards a lot with great results. It has worked so well if mine broke today I would not by another brand I would by it again! Buy far the best I ever used. Not sure of .22 never tried it

Vendor Sponsor

Yes if aimed properly 22 bullets to 100 yrds in not an issue .. neither are 458 socoms… I use mine on a lot of subsonic rds of various calibers
    like above if mine broke another one would be ordered quickly .. Would find it very difficult to go back to screens again
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

I use mine with BPCR loads It reliably picks up those slow cast lead bullets out to 200 yds when aimed correctly. The "pick up zone" is actually a cone getting bigger the farther out it goes. Mine has picked 6mms up out to 200yds also. These were in the 3600 fps range. The BPCR loads were 38 cal to 45 cal. 360 grns to 550 grns and 100 fps to 1200 fps.

Boolit Master
    I found on mine that cast bullets from rifles- slow ones- measured better if it was set for pistol rounds.
    Loren

This gives me some hope. Mine has been useless at getting data for my .25 Stevens rimfire project. Small bullet at around 1100 fps MV, nothing I've done will make it see them.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I was having issues using my LabRadar on my .218 Bee loads with it just not picking up many of the shots. I use a scope adapter for my LabRadar that somebody here makes, so aim is always dead on. When a buddy dropped his 39a on my rest to test some new Federal rimfire ammo, we picked up every single shot out to 100 yards. So I guess the lesson is that fast .22"s dont get picked up very well at all. If you are shooting rimfire ammo, be sure to use the pistol setting on the radar, not the rifle setting.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys!
    Gent - How far will it read those big slugs?
    Anybody get readings past 200 yd?

Boolit Grand Master

The range I use it on is only 200 yds. But even with the muzzle and 200yds reading the bcs and drop charts I get are very good.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I was having issues using my LabRadar on my .218 Bee loads with it just not picking up many of the shots. I use a scope adapter for my LabRadar that somebody here makes, so aim is always dead on.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-1-quot-rings
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

When I first got mine I ad problems with it giving correct velocities and some other little things. I Talked with a technician at Lab Radar. He gave me several good pieces of information. One ignore rifle pistol and bow settings by name and use the velocity ranges given for the rounds to be tested On my BRCR rounds the estimated velocity is 1100-1200 fps so the pistol setting is the desired velocity range. For a 22 rimfire rifle this would also be right.

According to Him the unit "sees" the base of the bullet Given this a heeled bullet, boat tail bullet, or rebated boat tail bullet will be seen differently than a flat base as to distance. Unlike sky screens I don't think jacket, powder coated or plain lead will make a difference.

He also stated units for US market were allowed slightly more power than ones for Canada or overseas. So a US unit may read slightly farther than one for else where.

Boolit Master

Just out of curiosity, Is this still a first generation issue if of Lab Radar?
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is a first generation

Boolit Buddy
    Been wondering about the capability of these for awhile now. Thank you everyone!
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

We have tested with my Lab radar, a fellow club members magneto speed, And a another members ohler 33. This was done with the magneto speed on the rifle ehe ohler screens out in front and the lab radar beside. Each shot was registered over all three together. Very close readings and consistant. Its also the quickest easiest chrony I have set up and used.