Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Gauge Shotgun in the new movie "Appalosa"

Boolit Master

There is a company in a nearby town that had a 8 bore side X side Purdy that I was able to shoulder. Very impressive! I think that the asking price was $100,000.00. I just checked their web site and it is no longer on there, I guess it sold. If you would like to see some nice guns check this out http://www.champlinarms.com

Skeet1

Banned
    Remington makes and sells an 8-gage. Looks kind of like a small field piece. Used to clean furnaces?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Remington makes and sells an 8-gage. Looks kind of like a small field piece. Used to clean furnaces?????

I believe it is used to loosen the scale on the sides of the kilns used for lime.

At least that is what i recall.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I would have felt better hunting that bear with a Barrett.

Moderator Emeritus
    This is a 4 bore, muzzle loader:

Thats the one on the left without the bunnet.

Here is a 10 bore hammer gun by Coates of Woolsingham Co Durham:

Sorry no 8 bore pics done yet.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Last edited by waksupi; 10-15-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Mold
    Remington does make an 8 ga. shell it's designation is SP8 ( magnum) it has a 3oz. slug and is used for removing material rings from kilns. The gun we use is tripod mounted and probably weighs 250# with a Martini type action

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to Cast Boolits Milespb.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

My wallet sure wouldn't. lol Thanks for the link MCS.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

So, regarding the original post, did any of you guys see the movie? Just got done reading the book, and wondered about the movie. In the book, the main character does carry an 8 gauge double.

Boolit Master
    The movie is pretty good, more a character/interaction study and a display of authentic period stuff and high production values than a gripping story. Ed Harris is one of those actors who seems to get better and more authentic the older he gets, and he obviously put his heart and soul into this film.

The 8-gauge only gets fired a couple times during the movie, but it's pretty effective. The heavy load in the old days was 5-1/2 drams/equivalent of powder and 1-3/4 oz of shot, so a 12-gauge Magnum would probably do as well or better, except for the "gravitas" factor.

Boolit Mold

Hello from the UK

Hi ,

I stumbled on your forum whilst running searches on big bore shotguns and fowling pieces.

My grandfather was an odd old fellow by UK standards , spent several parts of his life feeding his family from things like wild-fowling , and what he called
    freelance gamekeeping...( I do believe some others , landowners , magistrates and such ) might have referred to it as poaching). at one time He had a punt gun , which was an awesome thing . The bore on it was probably about two inches . If it was any smaller it wasn't by much.
    When the thing was fired it was like a small cannon going off. If you were in the punt , the world really did move ... The thing could take as many as forty birds at a time.
    He was Royal Horse Artillery in WW1 , and I think he just acquired a taste for very large bores and bangs.
    Only time he ever got seriously mad at me was after he found out a friend and me had taken it out on our own when we were about 12 , and I had fired the thing...

Yes , I was showing off to a mate who came from a gun starved family.
    We have lots of those in The UK...
    More and more , now , as the govt makes more and more laws.
    Only ones that can own decent firearms here are the criminals.
    I believe it is a human rights thing,

sorry for boring you , here ...
    The thing that caught my interest was the reference to the Coates large-bores.
    My grandfather came from Ireland , but settled in Co Durham ,.... he also had two large bore Coates guns.
    Not sure of the exact bore on them. But , as a kid , they were damn big..Wish I knew where they went...
    Sometimes he would use them to take fowl rather than the 'deck' gun. He even jerry-rigged a sort of rope and pintle-mount so I could fire one without being sent butt-over-apex, over the side, for dip.

I spotted the price tag stated for a large bore piece , up the page .
    and Wondered if this might interest anyone.

http://www.johnforsey.co.uk/shotguns_big.html

some of the prices seem quite reasonable.

Even with any transit and import costs it might prove far cheaper than that $100,000 that was mentioned.

If any of you want to look for any big bore pieces in the UK , Gun dealers in Norfolk , Suffolk , Lincolnshire , Kent , maybe Cambridgeshire , might be the best areas. They are the areas that were wetland and fen-rich and supported large scale wildfowling.
    There will be less demand for any guns , in the UK , and the prices might well be held down as a result.

Boolit Master

We have a 8 gauge gun at the lime-kiln, where i work. It shoots the mud balls that are to big to fall threw the grates. One man feeding,and one man firing, it will fire very fast. The mill uses zinc slugs now,because of enviromental concerns. With the lead slug,it would barely make it to the other end of the kiln,which is 300 feet long. The zinc slug is lighter, and care has to be takin, because it will shoot dead on, all the way to the back end. Can really pound up the kiln if you miss! BTW, the gun is made by remington,and the shells are by them as well.

Who needs an 8 bore

Tie yur lariat around one of these babies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk

Boolit Master
    The movie is pretty good...just bought the DVD...but the book is much better! They left out some scenes that would have made it a lot better...Everett and Virgil meeting at a gunfight and more story about arresting Bragg. Overall pretty good.

Mrs. Duke aka Buffalo Barbie is pretty cool about things. Go look over her threads (freudian slip there!) over at lass web site. Unfortunately some people here gave her a hard time over her pictures. Our loss! "Any day a pretty girl smiles at me is a better day."

Interesting dope on gauge guns in Cartridges of the World. They were use in the later muzzleloading days with hardened round ball for a variety of dangerous game hunting. Taylor shot elephant with a 10 gauge ML smooth rifle during the war when ammo was hard to get. He used a round ball and about 5 drams of powder. In BP days a 10 gauge was usually loaded with about 1 1/4 oz of shot and an 8 likely up to the load mentioned. Most of the real big bores like the 8 gauge are kind of ungainly for normal carrying. I have seen some older 10's that were little heavier than a 12 and still would pack plenty of punch. I used to have an 11 bore Brown Bess that used a 540 grain 715 ball. Even with a mere 100 grains of Black it would do things to gongs that a little 50 cal maxie ball could not touch. In one case I wrapped a gon held on a chain 3 times and in another it knocked the gong frame out of the ground. A 10 gauge ball will beigh in excess of 600 grains. Big bore are fun.

Northmn

Boolit Mold

8 guage hell

My mom was married to a guy for a few months that worked at a mine. He brought home a 8 guage shell that was used in a slug gun conneced to a chair and shock set up. He would shoot the wall above a deep hole and the slug would knock the oar off the walls and fall to the bottom. From there they would load trucks with what was knocked off the walls. The shell was a little larger than a roll of quarters. Just FYI.

Boolit Master
    In the family there is a #8 double gun. Brother has gun, paper and brass shells and hand loading equipment. It was passed down from greatgrandfather. He was a commercial hunter/waterman/decoy carver. It is a break action hammer gun. It also has damascus barrels. The shells indicate loads of 1 & 7/8 oz of shot. Mostly "fine shot", 8-9-10 size shot, in the shells we have that are marked. Greatgrandfather shot mostly marsh and shorebirds for market. With the cylinder bore of that gun I imagine it cut quite a swath through a flock of curlews, yellowlegs, dowitchers or plovers when they set to the decoys. Of course the shells are all BP. The gun is old and the barrels are very thin. It was certainly not designed or intended for ball or slugs. The loads of that day (1870s to 1920s) in the #8 gun were only about equal to modern very high power 3" 12 oads of today. It was probably much easier to shoot with less recoil and pounding than the long 12 gauge shells now. Also have a lever action #10 gauge that he used as a "cripple" gun or for single birds. It is certainly nostalgic to handle such historic and heirloom pieces even if the preservation isn't museum fine. They were working tools for working men. If anyone knows decoys from the era my GGF was Luther Nottingham. Best to all, 10 ga

So any 10 gauge guns out there side by sides or 1887's aftermarkets?